ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
HomeBe

1/32 & 1/48 - Hughes TH-55 Osage by AMP - 3D renders+box art

Mmmmm interesting, what are the differences between the TH-55 and the NH-300C?

Cool subject but I'd really like to see it in 35th, just for compatibility with most other large scale helos. 

An obscure subject, the US Navy used them for basic helicopter training, as did most of the US armed forces. A staple trainer before the days of the R22. I’ve worked on these little helicopters in the schweizer 269C helicopter guise, the usual Lycoming engine config with a shrouded belt drive.

The 3D renders look good, wonder if the finished kit will have the second fuel tank, flat face console and maybe even floats?

In 48th it may just disappear on your work bench but in 32 or 35 it would command more presence.

This is awesome news!!  Any idea on a release date?!  I know a couple of former army helo pilots that trained at Fort Wolters that I’ll be building these for as gifts! 😀

-Derek

Either scale is interesting and hopefully floats are an option. The Calypso Hughes 300 is a classic and plenty of US police forces used these in the 70's and 80's. A 1/72 kit would be the icing on the cake.

LD.

The manufacturer posted on Britmodeller that floats will be available as an option at some point! 😊

LD.

1 hour ago, Loach Driver said:

Either scale is interesting and hopefully floats are an option. The Calypso Hughes 300 is a classic and plenty of US police forces used these in the 70's and 80's. A 1/72 kit would be the icing on the cake.

LD.

You must have good eyes Loach Driver! I finished the Special Hobby Hughes 300/TH55 some years ago and it's close to microscopic...

Very glad with a 300 in 1/48 or 1/32 though. At last!!!

:cheers:

Gertjan

Niiice!!! I agree, that it should be scaled in 1/35 scale to match the large Army helicopter scale. I'll buy 1, none the less.

Tim

3 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

From this version I would like to do a US Army trainer from Ft. Rucker.
But want one with floats for this one.

Jaws2_2.jpg

is That version from Jaws 2?

The basic visual differences between the TH-55A and the Hughes/Schweizer 300C are:

The TH-55 mast is about 1' shorter than the 300C

The TH-55 rotor blades and tailboom are also about 1' shorter than the 300C

The TH-55 has a short triangular ventral fin while the 300C has a longer ribbed fin (similar to a Hughes OH-6/500 ventral fin)

Early TH-55's used a mechanical blade damper that looked like a vertical can attached to the drag link. Later helicopters used a hydraulic damper (as shown on the 3D renders)

The TH-55 instrument panel and console are significantly different from the 300C

I don't recall the U.S. Navy ever using the TH-55. They went directly from the HTL-7 to the TH-57 for primary and basic training.

The TH-55 was a great training helicopter; lots of power, very maneuverable, and the ability to scare you without killing you.

Mig

I'm in either way.  I'll definitely pick up the 1/48th scale kit and probably the 32nd scale one as well.  Would prefer 1/35th but I can live with 1/32nd

Floyd

It's about 3-4in" 1/72. The real bird has a fuselage length of 28' 11".

Edited by midnightprowler

I second the Harbor Patrol float version! Hope it makes it in the decal sheet too!

On February 20, 2019 at 5:26 AM, hawkwrench said:

What about in 1/35 scale?

Tim

Somewhere around 9-10" or so.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:08 PM, Rob Mignard said:

The basic visual differences between the TH-55A and the Hughes/Schweizer 300C are:

The TH-55 mast is about 1' shorter than the 300C

The TH-55 rotor blades and tailboom are also about 1' shorter than the 300C

The TH-55 has a short triangular ventral fin while the 300C has a longer ribbed fin (similar to a Hughes OH-6/500 ventral fin)

Early TH-55's used a mechanical blade damper that looked like a vertical can attached to the drag link. Later helicopters used a hydraulic damper (as shown on the 3D renders)

The TH-55 instrument panel and console are significantly different from the 300C

I don't recall the U.S. Navy ever using the TH-55. They went directly from the HTL-7 to the TH-57 for primary and basic training.

The TH-55 was a great training helicopter; lots of power, very maneuverable, and the ability to scare you without killing you.

Mig

Th 300 CB had the same small triangular fin.

The main rotor lead/lag dampeners were stacked bent washers, but was changed to an elastomeric dampener in the 300 CB, and those were retrofitted around the fleet. 

I have almost 1900 hours in the 300 series...

Sigh, I lost my good closeup eye to a cataract this year. Modeling on hold until I get surgery (soon), and the little 1/72 bird is the first project scheduled.

But! If this was in 1/24 I'd buy it and put it next to my Hughes 500..

I hope this one is made.  About 10 years ago Profiline did the CAD drawings then never made it.  I don't believe anything anymore unless it comes to pass.  But I'll certainly buy the two scales if it comes out.