Differences in 1/48 Monongram F-104C and G?

The main differences are as follows:

F-104C

- Lockheed seat

- flat MLG doors

- narrow main gear tires with dished wheel hubs

- short tail/rudder

- wingtip tanks had symmetrical horizontal fins

- underwing pylons were perpendicular to the underside of the wing, not to the ground (however, tanks hung under the wings had their tail fins parallel/perpendicular to the ground)

F-104G

- some had Lockheed seat, some had MB seat (or swapped to MB seat after being built with Lockheed seat)

- flat or bulged MLG doors, depending on the wheels

- narrow or wide MLG tires, however all had spoked wheel hub

- long tail/rudder

- asymmetric tip tank fins ( inboard fin was longer)

- underwing pylons were perpendicular to the ground

CF-104 and F-104J

- as F-104G, although always had Lockheed seat, flat MLG doors, and narrow tires.

HTH.

Great info! I'm not all that familiar with the details of the F-104, so let me ask this. If I'm building the Monogram F-104C, what areas would best be upgraded with either resin, PE, and/or scratchbuilding. This is going to be for an FSM article. I'm in a "competition" with another author. He's building the Hasegawa F-104C and we're going to compare results side by side. The premise is that the classic kits can still be built up to rival the more modern kits of the same subject. On the flip side, I get to build the HobbyBoss F8F Bearcat while he gets to bring the old Hawk up to modern standards.

23 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

What are the differences in plastic between these two kits? I'm looking at getting a C, but found a G that was a bit cheaper. 

The plastic in the G kit has the extended tail rudder and different main wheels when compared to the C kit.  The seats and other details look the same to me. 

Sounds like a fun article. I would love to do something like that.  The instrument panel on the monogram kit is the one glaring weak point I can think of. The rest of the cockpit is satisfactory but not as good as the later century series kits.  The fit of the fuselage leaves a big step in the forward section. I have build threads for a Hasegawa G and a Monogram C on this forum. I guess if you can overcome the fuselage fit problem,  the monogram F-104 certainly looks great when it is finished. 

Edited by Kurt H.

Darren, that does sound like a fun project! Many, many moons ago, I built the Monogram F-104. I rescribed it and added a High Flight afterburner nozzle. With the canopy closed, the cockpit is passable. In some ways, the Monogram kit looks better, just because it doesn't have the Hasegawa kit's rivet acne all over it. 😁

Ben

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Some Gs did, some have the Lockheed. CF-104s for example are pretty much Gs (modelling wise) but with Lockheed seats. Sure there must be some other differences on the full size plane.

I was talking about the Monogram kit. Built it ~20 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be.

Vern

On 2/17/2019 at 1:43 PM, Darren Roberts said:

what areas would best be upgraded with either resin, PE, and/or scratchbuilding.

Here are some stuff to look over whether you need anything or not.
There some nice seats, Wheels and Pitots and other bits though.
https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q="Lockheed+F-104+Starfighter"+1%3A48

11 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

Here are some stuff to look over whether you need anything or not.
There some nice seats, Wheels and Pitots and other bits though.
https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q="Lockheed+F-104+Starfighter"+1%3A48

I totally forgot about Scalemates. Thanks for the link! Can I do a NASA jet from the C? Those are some nice markings.

7 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

Are you referring to the one molded in yellow plastic?  I didn't think Monogram made any changes between the kits- just molded it in yellow and included different decals. I could be wrong though...

I have a C kit and the gawdawful-yellow G kit. There are definite differences as posted earlier.

Darren,
Here's a list from a decal sheet I came across.
F-104A, 52-961, NACA 1957
F-104A, 60-749, NASA 1959
F-104A, 60-734, NASA 1960 - ALSOR
F-104A, 60-749, NASA 1961 - ALSOR
JF-104A, 52-961, NASA 1961 - RCS
F-104A, 60-763, USAF 1964 - chase for X-15
F-104A, 52-961, NASA 1965
F-104A, 52-961, 818 NASA
NF-104A, 60-756, USAF, 1963-71
NF-104A, 60-760, USAF, 1963
NF-104A, 60-762, G-762 USAF, 1963
NF-104A, 60-762, NF-762 USAF, 1963