1:144 Boeing E-767 AWACS in JASDF service (Revell + CTA)

I started this build many years ago when I got a cheap partially assembled ACE (Revell) 1/144 767-300 kit with Liveries Unlimited partial EVA decals.  I cut it down to a 200, sourced a radar dome from a Revell E-3A AWACS kit , sprayed some medium gray paint on some parts and promptly put it back in the box in preparation for one of my many moves about 20 years ago.  I have decided to not buy any new kits this year (fingers crossed) and complete some or most of my hangar queens.  The fact that CTA (Russia) released a resin conversion kit with decals prompted me to decide that this will be project No 1 for 2019.  Please follow the thread here:  https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11761&p=projects&project=3949

005.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Some quick work done today.  Trimmed wingtips off and added HF aerials.  Cut off kit tailcone and am working on adjusting the CTA resin tailcone to fit.  Though the directions say it will work on either the Revell or Zvesda 767-300 kit, clearly it is meant to fit the Zvesda kit right out of the box.  Added photos 12-20.

Edited by Dutch
57 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Looking good Dutch.   Like Ray, I've been kicking around adding one of these to the collection.   Same same with using a 767 to make a KC-46.

Thanks Don. 

I am looking at a 1/72 Transport Wings 767-200 with KC-46 conversion for my NH ANG collection.  I really would like to do a 1/144 KC-767 tanker as simpler than a KC-46.  If as you say, the Revell KC-10 kit includes both a stowed and extended boom, then, when I do secure a KC-10 kit, I will use the stowed boom for the KC-10 and modify the extended boom for the KC-767. 

R/ Dutch 

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Thanks Don. 

I am looking at a 1/72 Transport Wings 767-200 with KC-46 conversion for my NH ANG collection.  I really would like to do a 1/144 KC-767 tanker as simpler than a KC-46.  If as you say, the Revell KC-10 kit includes both a stowed and extended boom, then, when I do secure a KC-10 kit, I will use the stowed boom for the KC-10 and modify the extended boom for the KC-767. 

R/ Dutch 

zerosystem has a 1/144 KC-10 for sale over in the buy and sell page.    You may want to give him a shout and see if it's still available.

Edited by Drifterdon

I removed another 3/32" from the tail, but I fear I removed too much, as the tail cone now fits a little shy vertically, but still proud on the sides.  So I will have to add a thin shim of plasticard, putty the gap but then file down the sides to the best i can match the fore & aft fuselage.  Anyway, I also trimmed out the dome and mounting tab. It turned out better.  So I will say, if you use the CTA No 17 E-767 conversion, please use the Zvesda 767 kit as a base. Photos #26-29 added.

Edited by Dutch
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally, I had some time to do some work. I added some plasticard shims, cut at slight angles , to the rear fuselage to make up the difference in thickness I needed for the new E-767 tail to fit properly.  I achieved a much better fit, not 100% or even 95%, but satisfactory.  I also had to cut off the block from the tail in order to get a better fit.  When things were dry enough, I super glued the tail on.  It set pretty quick.  I hoped I lined everything up alright.  I will do some puttying tomorrow and then filing and sanding later this next week.  Lastly, I glued the radome together.  See photos 34-38.

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...

@dylan  The APU is still there.  The resin tail cone includes the extra antennae.  Though, they probably could have been included separately and just glued in place.  I have been travelling alot lately, domestic and international, so I will get back to this project soon.  

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Now comes the tricky part. I purchased the kit already 50% assembled.  However,  the nosegear strut was broken into three pieces, one in the bay, the lower strut, and the small wheel truck, with one wheel broken off. I am thinking of drilling a hole in each piece and inserting a needle or small pin to reinforce the whole assembly.  

Edited by Dutch

20210202_165408.thumb.jpg.70bb693b0748dc04986979599f5a1c79.jpg

Essentially,  what I now have.  Getting to drill the hole into each end of the strut is going to be a chore.  Will definitely have to be done by hand, as the Dremel will only melt the plastic.

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...