Iwata Neo CN dual action airbrush any good?

Howdy folks!  I was perusing the airbrushes at my local Hobby Lobby the other day and noticed an Iwata Neo CN gravity fed dual action airbrush in their display cabinet.  I've been thinking of upgrading from my Aztek airbrush (please no jokes about that.  I've been using mine faithfully for the past 15 years without a single issue).  Does anyone have the Iwata Neo CN and, if so, what are your thoughts on it?  It comes with a 0.35 mm needle.  What kind of lines/coverage will this give me and is it possible to get a different sized needle for this?

Even though I've never had any problems with my Aztek, I'm still interested in expanding the tools at my disposal in the airbrush category.

Thanks!

Eric 

I am using my neo CN to shoot primers, as well as duracoat.  I found it ok for this application.  I was able to snag it NIB for 25.00 from a person exiting the hobby, selling it here on ARC.

The CN comes with a .35 needle, and only a .5 needle is optional (std on the siphon feed neo BCN).

ref: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/neo-for-iwata

I truly love my iwata eclipse HP-CS.  It is also available at hobby lobby. I purchased mine there, using their 40% discount (at the time, applicable to this airbrush) It also comes standard with a .35 needle, (with, again, an optional .5 needle, also available in the siphon feed eclipse).  It is much easier to clean than the neo, and I notice that for modeling, it is more than capable and (IMHO) better than the neo.

ref: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/iwata-eclipse-hp-cs-review

On 2/19/2019 at 10:03 AM, echolmberg said:

Howdy folks!  I was perusing the airbrushes at my local Hobby Lobby the other day and noticed an Iwata Neo CN gravity fed dual action airbrush in their display cabinet.  I've been thinking of upgrading from my Aztek airbrush (please no jokes about that.  I've been using mine faithfully for the past 15 years without a single issue).  Does anyone have the Iwata Neo CN and, if so, what are your thoughts on it?  It comes with a 0.35 mm needle.  What kind of lines/coverage will this give me and is it possible to get a different sized needle for this?

Even though I've never had any problems with my Aztek, I'm still interested in expanding the tools at my disposal in the airbrush category.

Thanks!

Eric 

I bought 2 and hated them. Even the most thinned paint would sputter and clog. I replaced them with a Paasche Talon and I absolutely love it.

It's a basic entry level AB. IMO it's a step down not up. If you're looking to step up There are lots better ones out there. Here's Just a few to look into. Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It can be found for 150.00 or less and it is a GREAT AB...The Talon mentioned above is very good and you can buy the Talon pkg. with 3 needle sizes and a fan tip. I bought it for the fan tip option and really like the way it performs. I use the fan tip for all clear coats and single color applications.Never realized how bad I needed a fan tip in my tool box!!! I have yet to use it for any other  applications but would in a heartbeat if I needed to. I got mine for about 100.00 at SprayGunner.com. Some other excellent choices  in the 150.00 and under range are Badger Renegade Chrome or the Xtreme Patriot don't personally own but have used them at a friends and they are pretty nice.  Harder & Steenbeck make an awesome AB, the Evolution line is in that same under 150.00 range SprayGunner again...no I have no monetary interest in their store.  As for me I have The Evolution Silverline with a .15 needle that makes mottling an easy task. I have the Eclipse and I also have a Tamiya Spraywork which is now discontinued by Tamiya America but still available in Japan. It too is an Awesome tool... I also have the Neo (impulse buy at Hobby Lobby for 30.00) but it' s more of there in case of emergency.... Just an FYI These are all essentially the same AB in that they are all double action gravity feed and the difference is hardly noticeable. I can load paint into any and get essentially the same hand feel, spray pattern etc. Only one the Eclipse is lacking a needle stop to help you to not flood paint while doing delicate Camo. You could add one if you wanted to, like the one found on the Iwata HP-C Plus,. Speaking of, it is also an option but pushes 190.00. All said These are just a few of the many many many options that are slightly more than the Neo. You may have wanted to save a few bucks but I found out the hard way ...buy the best tools you can up front cause you will likely be disappointed if you don't.  Sorry if this is disjointed currently battling a really bad sinus infection and it feels as if my head is about to explode!!!!!! good luck and also chack youtube for reviews cheers

Thank you so much to all who chimed in!  Yes, a big factor is the price but an even bigger factor for me is the quality.  I really enjoy my Aztek but I'm finding it difficult to get fine lines plus I'm getting a bit of overspray.  I can do camo jobs but only if I mask everything; I can't freehand because of the overspray.  It could also be because of the thinness of my paint, the PSI I use and the distance I hold the airbrush from the model as well.  Hard to say.  I just see how everyone enjoys their Iwatas, Badgers, and other brands and I wanted to expand my "airbrush world".

I think I will, therefore, pass on the Neo CN and I will take everyone's suggestions and experiences to heart.  Again, I really appreciate your information!!!

All the best,

Eric

I just bought a Mr. Hobby or gunze gsi(whichever one it is) ps274. Just tested it out and absolutely love it! Just tried black basing with it and it performed beautifully! I got mine at spraygunner.com for $92. It performs just as well if not better than my harder steenback evolution 2n1. I have yet to try the ps770 as I bought that one as well. I have heard extremely good things about  that airbrush as well. I will be trying that one out next.