Random USS Midway question...

Charlie D

I served on board Midway from Jan 88 to June 90. We had S-3's coming in from the beach but none stationed on board. We really didn't have room for an S-3 det on board. Plus the size of the S-3 made it hard to keep on board, just as the F-14's being too tall for hanger bay. Even with the vertical tail folded on the S-3's they were a bit too tall. We loved it when the they came aboard, that meant mail and parts most of the time. I will be visiting my beloved ship in July for a reunion of with some of my buddies from VFA-151. It's been 29 years since I seen them and the ship. I can't wait till then.Hope this helps you out!

VS-21 never operated from MIDWAY (just US-3 COD hits and maybe a S-3 came onboard delivering the ATO during the Gulf War).  VS-21 came over full time to Japan after MIDWAY and INDY crossdecked and INDY/CV-62 became the forward deployed carrier in Japan. VS-21 stayed a part of the Japan based CVW-5 until the unit disbanded in 2005. 

Reason no S-3’s stationed on older CV’s was size (tail fin height and fully spread wing). 

Collin

VS-21 1995-1999 USS Independence and USS Kitty Hawk. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:36 AM, tosouthern66 said:

Charlie D

I served on board Midway from Jan 88 to June 90. We had S-3's coming in from the beach but none stationed on board. We really didn't have room for an S-3 det on board. Plus the size of the S-3 made it hard to keep on board, just as the F-14's being too tall for hanger bay. Even with the vertical tail folded on the S-3's they were a bit too tall. We loved it when the they came aboard, that meant mail and parts most of the time. I will be visiting my beloved ship in July for a reunion of with some of my buddies from VFA-151. It's been 29 years since I seen them and the ship. I can't wait till then.Hope this helps you out!

Thanks for the reply! I visited The Midway about 5 years ago, would love to get back and spend more time exploring as I only had a few hours. It was quite the experience. I was impressed at how much larger she was than the Essex class carriers. 

Would love to see some pics of your time on board if you have any. Were they still flying A model hornets at that time?

3 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Thanks for the replies. I was curious, as  Midway had deployed previously with A-3 Skywarriors on board, and that's not exactly a small aircraft, so it seemed odd it never deployed with S-3 Vikings on board. 

Also keep in mind it just wasn't the aircraft you have to make space for.  A S-3 squadron brings a bunch of aircrew and maintainers onboard the carrier (berthing)....plus all the spaces you need for avionics and aircraft maintenance, plus admin and other associated spaces.  That is the total "cost" for brining onboard a new type/model/series.  I'm guessing the MIDWAY was maxed out on space to take a 8 plane S-3 squadron onboard. 

All those factors, plus a slightly larger deck was already accounted for on the INDY and KITTY HAWK.

Cheers

Collin

9 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Thanks for the reply! I visited The Midway about 5 years ago, would love to get back and spend more time exploring as I only had a few hours. It was quite the experience. I was impressed at how much larger she was than the Essex class carriers. 

Would love to see some pics of your time on board if you have any. Were they still flying A model hornets at that time?

Most of my pics will be of the flight deck as where that's where I seemed to be all the time. I'll try and figure out how to scan them or something to put them on here.