Too much flat coat?

2 minutes ago, Mstor said:

What brand/type of flat coat paint are you using?

I like the ammo by Mig line for its simplicity and lack of fumes but it can be delicate, especially if you do a lot of post clear coat weathering.  Recently I've gone back to the basic Testors laquer flat thinned with Tamiya yellow cap thinner and have gotten good results.  

Maybe the flat coat hasn’t been mixed properly in the jar/bottle or maybe over thinned?

General rule for most spraying is a couple of light coats followed by a heavier wet coat should see you fine. A heavy coat to start with normally results in a chalky White appearance 

It's Tamiya rattle can. I'll try shaking it longer and mixing it.  Or I'll try the one below if it doesn't work. 

On 2/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, Napalmakita said:

I like the ammo by Mig line for its simplicity and lack of fumes but it can be delicate, especially if you do a lot of post clear coat weathering.  Recently I've gone back to the basic Testors laquer flat thinned with Tamiya yellow cap thinner and have gotten good results.  

I've been using Testors Dullcoat for decades and it has always been my go to flat coat. I lay on thin coats until the amount of flat finish I want is achieved. Never have laid on any heavy or wet coats. I remember trying once to brush some on a part when I didn't want to break out the airbrush and it did what you described, turned glossy. Too thick a coat perhaps. I've only used Tamiya's rattle can flat coat once and don't remember having any problems, but it was years ago.