Not a jet as such, but the next best thing...

Folks,

I wanted to draw your attention to a new product development at Hypersonic Models. While the SR-71 design continues, I have taken a small detour and created this AG-330 start cart. This will be produced as a complete injection moulded plastic kit, with PE details and some stencil decals. You'll be able to build both the early Nailhead version and the later Chevy powered version from the kit. A part to build the starter probe extended is included as well. Note that in order too keep the kit simple and affordable, the underside is relatively plain with only generic shape references to the engines, more or less just a place to mount the exhausts to.

CAD work is complete and the design is currently being prepared for tooling at the tooling company. I hope to be able to check test shots before the summer and aim for a release before the end of the year....(famous last words...).

AG-330%20Render%201.jpg

AG-330%20render%204.jpg

AG-330%20render%205.jpg

AG-330%20render%207.jpg

AG-330%20render%206.jpg

Cheers,

Jeffrey

And seated aviators in the S1030 etc David Clark spacesuits.

Starter looks absolutely great. Agree about the boarding gantry. 

Now just need a good Habu — please keep up the great work! 

Tony 

18 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Now just need a good Habu — please keep up the great work! 

Tony 

I'm working on it!! However, it is a very complex design. After all the exterior shapes were done, all the internals need to be designed and many areas require a lot of "out of the box" planning and thinking in order too keep it mouldable with steel tooling yet retain accuracy. But great progress is being made.

As for the other requests:

there is a boarding gantry by AIM: http://www.aim72.co.uk/page214.html I don't think this item can be made in a different way than by PE.

And there are seated pilots by these guys: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/grueter?section=1%3A48&s=0

and standing pilots by Plusmodel: http://www.plusmodel.cz/karta_en.php?id=550

Cheers,

J

For those not familiar with the J58, it was a direct-drive start. The start-cart drive shaft engaged a gearbox in the bottom of the nacelle. The ground crew first started and warmed up the two engines in the cart, which took a few minutes. Then they engaged the drive and increased the starter engines’ rpm to what must have been their red line. Just about when you thought their pistons were going to swap holes, you heard the dull crump of the J58’s ignition. At that point the jet engine began to accelerate to its idle rpm and the starter engines wound back down, sounding very relieved and exhausted. At night in the evenings at Edwards you could pretty much hear a J58 startup  all over the flight line area and beyond.