Question On Removing Alclad Aqua-Gloss (ALC-600)

Hi all!

So I'm back to modelling a/c after a long time away doing F1 cars etc (am I coming back to the Light side or turning back to the Dark...?) and I'm doing a heap of experimentation on jet weathering and other a/c modeling techniques most of which are pretty new to me.

I've put a gold tinge on the canopy by following advice from another modeller (can't recall the source) and using a mix of Tamiya acrylics, Smoke, Clear Yellow, and Gloss Clear - about a third each approximately. The result was a little dark but acceptable. I then used a method I've used on various clear parts of vehicles and dipped the canopy completely in Alclad Aqua Gloss (ALC600), left it to dry, and it came out looking amazingly 'glass' like as you can see in the first picture below:

y5hI32x.jpg

5mxfu35.jpg

Often times the piece comes out even better after a second coat of the Aqua Gloss so I have it a second dip a couple of hours later, and soon after I found that the Tamiya acrylic paint was reacting underneath the first layer of Aqua Gloss (it only seemed to do it after the second coat as best I can tell).  You can see the result in the picture below:

dvGYoL8.jpg

The acrylic had 24 hours to dry, the first coat of Aqua Gloss had about 2 hours to dry. I tried putting a third coat of Aqua Gloss over the top after another 24 hours in case the problem was in the Aqua Gloss, but the problem remained the same confirming (I believe) that it was the paint reacting.

So... my questions:

1. First of all, I have no idea how to successfully strip Aqua Gloss off, or the acrylic paint from the canopy. Can anyone give me some pointers here on what's worked for them in the past?

2. any ideas on what may have caused the reaction in the paint, is it as simple as "never mix Tamiya acrylics with whatever Alclad Aqua Gloss is"?

Thanks very much for any replies!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Captain Mark

1. Try letting the canopy soak in 91% isopropyl alcohol. I find 91% is strong enough to remove most acrylics without damaging the plastic. 

2. I think you applied the second coat before the first one had time to cure. 

When you did the second dip, did you dip it in just the aqua gloss or did you dip it in the aqua gloss/tamiya mixture?

Hi, thanks for chiming in.

Will find myself some Isopropyl alcohol (will have to research it, it's probably something mundane lol) and give it a shot.

Will also keep the time between coats of everything more spaced out.

With regards to the paint/gloss application, I never mixed any Tamiya acrylic with Aqua Glass into the one mixture/container (sorry, my wording wasn't sufficient initially to explain what I did). First I sprayed the clear coloured Tamiya acrylic on the inside of the canopy. A day later I dipped it fully in plain Aqua Gloss, no problem.  Two hours later I dipped in plain Aqua Gloss again, that's when I noticed the problem (which could have started on the first dipping).

I just received an email back from the Alclad company themselves actually, and the responder said that he's used Aqua Gloss over all Tamiya paints with no problem, and that he uses a product called "Black Magic Bleche-Wite tire cleaner" to remove Aqua Gloss without any problems. However, we don't appear to have that product in Australia and I can't figure out what any active ingredient in that product is to find similar.

I'll keep testing things, perhaps I'll just have to stick with the slightly marred canopy and tell everyone it's just bugs that haven't been cleaned off by the ground crew... 😐🙄

An ammonia-based window cleaner should strip the canopy quickly and cleanly (windex, windowlene, or the Australian equivalent thereof).  Barring that, a weak ammonia solution (~5%) should work.

Isopropyl alcohol = isopropanol = the alcohol wipes nurses use before giving you injections.  It should be pretty easy to find at any pharmacy, in the first aid section.

And I'd agree, the problem was likely that the Tamiya hadn't fully cured.  Next time, try letting it set for a week before dipping.

Thanks very much MoFo, some good info there to add to the plan. I might actually put together a 'test' piece first to see how it all reacts to the removal before working on the kit canopy itself. Don't want to tempt fate any more than I already have!