GWH Su-35 "Red 25"

I've been working on this model since late October of 2018 and I am finally reaching the end.   This is my first "real" build getting back into this hobby.  I used to build models as a kid like many others here... and they were quite rough.  Removing sprue gates?  What's that?   Needless to say, I took quite a different approach this time, and I gotta say, this hobby is strangely satisfying.   This build has been quite the learning process.  Every step was full of firsts for me... from figuring out how to use an airbrish to getting frustrated with installing the cockpit and dealing with these damn near microscopic static-discharge wicks.   I think I did OK.   

Still need to complete weathering, but there is not much to do in that department as from what I can see in reference photos, "red 25" is kept quite clean. Still on the fence about a panel line wash.  On one hand, I do like the look.  On the other hand,  the panel lines are already more defined than what I see in reference photos.  

Also gonna build a few ground details like a ladder and tow bar.   I will post better photos after it is 100% finished.  For now, here are a few crappy cellphone pictures. 

20190226_234101_zpst6qmkp4a.jpg

20190226_235354_zpsfsuictzr.jpg

Really nice. For a first "real" build since getting back into the hobby since being a kid, this is very good work. I will be happy if my Su-35 turns out this good when I get around to building it. Well done Sir!

Thanks for the kind words, guys.   

I was doing some thinking yesterday while browsing over my small database of reference shots and decided that aside from some vents,  I'm not going to do a panel line wash.   I will save that for another flanker...  maybe an in-combat example, with all of the crud and dust.    As it stands, I think my example will still fall somewhere between what I see in photos of "red 25" and other, dirtier examples.   I'm a noob, so I think I went a bit too heavy with some of the streaks and leaks on the bottom (not pictured yet), but I'm happy with how it is coming out, so I'm not gonna beat myself up over trying to lighten things up. 

12 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

Thanks for the kind words, guys.   

I was doing some thinking yesterday while browsing over my small database of reference shots and decided that aside from some vents,  I'm not going to do a panel line wash.   I will save that for another flanker...  maybe an in-combat example, with all of the crud and dust.    As it stands, I think my example will still fall somewhere between what I see in photos of "red 25" and other, dirtier examples.   I'm a noob, so I think I went a bit too heavy with some of the streaks and leaks on the bottom (not pictured yet), but I'm happy with how it is coming out, so I'm not gonna beat myself up over trying to lighten things up. 

Recommend keep modelling the way you are going, you will see improvement in other ways organically.  For me it becomes less fun and results in unfinished projects when you push yourself too much to perfection.

Many nice things I've found about getting back into aircraft building.  The quality of the kits are amazing compared to what I built as a kid.   Even kits that people bash as junk I think are pretty good.  Another nice thing is to be able to go on-line and find reference photos of the exact aircraft you are building is fantastic.

I'm with you man.  That is a big pitfall in many hobbies.  I've been into RC helicopters for years and that's a very common theme in that hobby.   

Funny you mention quality as that was a major catalyst in getting me back into this hobby.    My aunt actually sent this kit to me from Russia, when my mom went to visit this past summer.  She used to send me kits when I was a kid and I was a bit surprised that she decided to send me one now... but when I opened the box, I was blown away by the detail, and in that moment it was clear why she sent the kit.    Next thing you know, I was on the net reading about airbrushes. 

Big credit to the net as well. Not just for the reference photos, but for the vast amount of information related to actual building and painting techniques, and community members willing to help.  

1 hour ago, BaconRaygun said:

Big credit to the net as well. Not just for the reference photos, but for the vast amount of information related to actual building and painting techniques, and community members willing to help.  

Indeed,  as your typical north American geographical community, there just aren't enough of us around without the web to connect us. :-)

Happy building

Here are a few more, slightly better shots.  Still taken with my cell phone, but in natural light. 

20190228_145358_zpsany4ymwd.jpg

edited-image_zpsqiezn32e.png

The R-73 and R-77 are Eduard resin.  I used the kit pylons and rails (is that the right word?), I thought they looked better. 

20190228_150246_zpsqqrrqxtc.jpg

Can you spot the noob mistake?   When I primed the engines for the metal colors, I jumped the gun on the silver portion and after about a week just the silver began to crack.  I got generous with the oil streaks to try and hide the cracking a little.  

20190228_150311_zpst3ozmbjs.jpg

Resin Exhaust from Amigo Model.   Required about 10 grams of ballast (lead shot) directly aft of the radar antenna. 

20190228_145829_zpssafdnyxq.jpg

20190228_145635_zpsr7kgl5ze.jpg

20190228_145433_zpsvtnzyac5.jpg

20190228_150633_zpsepeaxvil.jpg

20190228_150604_zpschjszgoq.jpg

20190228_150948_zpsay1pt0rf.jpg

The nose cone is magnetic.  I drilled the  face of the radar antenna and installed a 5 x 3mm magnet. Then, putty and sanding and a lot of Mr Surfacer 1500... and some more sanding, and I finally got the magnet to blend seamlessly.   On the cone itself (pictured) I trimmed some closed-cell rubber foam and added a small metal plate.  Then a layer of clear tape to prevent damage to the radar antenna. 

20190228_151107_zpsxv8tdsra.jpg

EDIT:  Wow, I didn't realize Protobucket got so.... bad.  

Edited by BaconRaygun

Nice work on a complicated subject for your first one back in the game. How much fiddling around did it take to ensure the radome and AESA dish mate up correctly? 

Did you use Haneto's thread as a reference?

Nice job..welcome back

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

Thank you sir. 

Yes, I did use Haneto's thread for reference , primarily for the wiring and plumbing on the landing gear.  Though I didnt do it exactly how he did it.   I'll share more details on what I did when it's 100% finished and I get some better shots with my buddy's DSLR. 

There was zero fiddling involved with the radome and dish, seems it is designed with doing something like this in mind.  It fits right over, and both the dish assembly and radome fit into keyed in notches on the nose.   You can see the grooves in the radome in the last photo of my last post. 

10 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

Thank you sir. 

Yes, I did use Haneto's thread for reference , primarily for the wiring and plumbing on the landing gear.  Though I didnt do it exactly how he did it.   I'll share more details on what I did when it's 100% finished and I get some better shots with my buddy's DSLR. 

There was zero fiddling involved with the radome and dish, seems it is designed with doing something like this in mind.  It fits right over, and both the dish assembly and radome fit into keyed in notches on the nose.   You can see the grooves in the radome in the last photo of my last post. 

Awesome job. I think I'll have to have a go at the radome magnet effort when I build mine. Haneto's build will be my reference as well....what a build that was.

Stunning build, looks perfect in terms of colors and weathering. Nice execution of the magnetic nosecone too, i have been toying with a similar idea myself but havent done it on a build yet. The Photobucket watermark though, my god.

Wow, thanks Major, you've got me blushing!  

Don't be too amazed, though... I can explain.   I don't have any superman talents.  I just have lots of hobbies from which I have developed skills that tend to translate well to building models.   I like to build things out of composites, so I have lots of sanding and shaping time under my belt.  I like to re-finish guitars, so I had a pretty firm grasp on finishes (though I have never used an airbrush before this build).   I've been into various RC stuff since 1998, and RC helis since 2009, so my meticulous nature sort of comes with the territory.  I also scratch-build or heavily modify components on various RC gear, so there's the scratchbuilding checkbox.  I also like to hack electronics, including soldering SMD components... so I am quite used to microscopic details.  Consequences of making a mistake while working with a surface mount component are far grater than screwing up while gluing some tiny detail.   Doesn't mean this wasn't challenging (it was, and is, very challenging), and I sure as hell still have a lot to learn. 

You know... sort of like a dentist getting into jewelry.   Apparently, building models is also a popular hobby for dentists and jewelers.   

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, BaconRaygun said:

I like to re-finish guitars, so I had a pretty firm grasp on finishes (though I have never used an airbrush before this build).

First build using an airbrush and you're already better than I am. You are one talented fellow!

Thanks, Manuel and Mstor. 

For the primary colors I used the MRP's Su-35 laquer colors (296, 297 and 298).  

Cockpit is MRP acrylic  "sukhoi cockpit blue" (A002). 

Secondary colors are mostly the Mr. Color callouts from the manual, except the wheels and gear doors, those are MRP 32 and 42.  

The exhaust and other metal parts are mostly Alclad II, including a few custom mixes.   Also used for exhaust and stabilators was MRP steel, burnt metal blue and burnt metal violet (mrp-30, 155 and 156) along with Mr. Color clear green (c138) and lastly Tamiya flat brown and red brown (XF-10 and 64). 

The flat black is just Alclad II gloss black primer finished with Alclad II klear kote semi matte.   

Edited by BaconRaygun