Air-to-Air Combat Between India and Pakistan

Look at the map where AIM-120 was recovered. 

The Indian Air Chief looks so smug and dejected announcing recovery of missile. The discovery of exploded missile is also an inadvertent admission that it did hit some aircraft.

Edited by stalal
3 hours ago, stalal said:

The Indian Air Chief looks so smug and dejected announcing recovery of missile. The discovery of exploded missile is also an inadvertent admission that it did hit some aircraft.

Why do you say that?   It could have missed entirely and traveled quite a ways ballistically before hitting the ground (no idea if these things have a self-destruct feature).   Could have exploded and missed its target.  Or could have hit it.  You are simply guessing.  

BTW - is it possible to look smug and dejected at the same time?   

If Pakistan did use US supplied F-16s and AIM-120s, it could be in violation of agreements made with Pakistan against the use of these weapons in conflicts with India. I have read that India's armed forces are woefully out of date and under-funded. In comparison, Pakistan's armed forces are more up to date. This recent incident seems to bear that out, though I suppose one incident is really not enough to go on. Certainly sounds like an embarrassing situation for India though.

In any case, let's hope they cool things down. As mentioned, the last thing we need is open conflict between two nuclear states.

18 hours ago, 11bee said:

Why do you say that?   It could have missed entirely and traveled quite a ways ballistically before hitting the ground (no idea if these things have a self-destruct feature).   Could have exploded and missed its target.  Or could have hit it.  You are simply guessing.

85-90km is within the range of a AIM-120C.

-Gregg

32 minutes ago, stalal said:

Here is NY TImes today saying what I said two ago from my sources. India lost it and is humiliated by a much smaller adversary. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/03/world/asia/india-military-united-states-china.html

That NYT article is pretty interesting.   Basically sounds like the Indian military is grossly over staffed due to being something like a national jobs program.    This is at the expense of truly modernizing their hardware.  

I wouldn’t write  off the Indian AF though.  One lost MiG-21 doesn’t exactly equal a “humiliating” defeat.   By most accounts, the Indians are professionals and seemed pretty competent when they have trained with American pilots at various exercises.    

If they are professionals, they’ll look at what just happened and learn from it.   Pros don’t make the same mistake twice.  

India is perceived as a rising power. Its feted across the world having big market. There are preparations to stand it up against China as American ally. This worldwide praise has made India a bully in the region. Pakistan taught this bully a lesson. Its a humiliation to have lost 2 aircraft in a battle initiated a much smaller adversary which also gave a notice a day before of a retaliatory action.  You may still not see it as such unless you have regional perspective. 

Edited by stalal
15 hours ago, stalal said:

India is perceived as a rising power. Its feted across the world having big market. There are preparations to stand it up against China as American ally. This worldwide praise has made India a bully in the region. Pakistan taught this bully a lesson. Its a humiliation to have lost 2 aircraft in a battle initiated a much smaller adversary which also gave a notice a day before of a retaliatory action.  You may still not see it as such unless you have regional perspective. 

What does Pakistani kool aid taste like?  

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

What does Pakistani kool aid taste like?  

Little known fact, the incident that the phrase "Drink the Kool-Aid" derives from, The Jim Jones Massacre, Flavor-Aid, was actually used.

-Gregg

5 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Little known fact, the incident that the phrase "Drink the Kool-Aid" derives from, The Jim Jones Massacre, Flavor-Aid, was actually used.

-Gregg

To dive further down the morbid trivia well, wasn’t the beverage in question grape-flavored?  

22 minutes ago, 11bee said:

To dive further down the morbid trivia well, wasn’t the beverage in question grape-flavored?  

I do believe you're correct Sir! 

-Gregg

I know these guys get slagged on a fair amount but they did a somewhat interesting article on this issue.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26880/enough-with-the-indian-mig-21-bison-versus-pakistani-f-16-viper-bullshit

Not really any new info but they debunk some of the silly claims being kicked around by those who have agendas.    Also, they spend a bit of time discussing the MiG-21 Bison.   If you believe their take on it, this little aircraft was at least partially responsible for a good number of F-15 / EW upgrades that the USAF implemented in the last decade or so.

Edited by 11bee

I read that last night and agree, it was a great article regarding the Cope India exercises, the Bison and the Eagle. I also found it amusing how "eloquently" Rogoway wrote about the propaganda machines spewing misinformation about the Pakistan/India dogfight.

Although qualified comments from many places, the only evidence I don't see is the wreckage of the PAF F-16 supposedly shot down. Everyone has a mobile phone with camera these days, and one would assume that someone filmed or took photos of the wreckage regardless of where it went down. But nothing has come to light. From this, I personally doubt the F-16 shootdown. 

Yeah probably.  But American or Western sources are no better.  They do cheap propaganda and lie all the time. Media business is like that. 

Edited by stalal