Where do you get your inspiration?

Movies, youtube videos, books, etc. 

Eg, If I'm reading Ed Rasimus's "When Thunder Rolled: An F-105 Pilot Over North Vietnam", I suddenly want to build F-105s.  If I see a youtube video about Da Nang airbase during the Vietnam war, I suddenly want to build F-100s or Marine F-4B Phantoms.

If I see the Top Gun movie, then I want to build Top Gun Skyhawks in their unique camo schemes.  Battle of Britain: Spitfires & He-111s.  Tora Tora Tora:  Zeros & Kates.

Sometimes it's events that spur me on. Eg,  Next year the Olympics will be held in Japan. The last time they hosted it was in 1964. In 1964, as part of the Opening ceremony, they had their aerobatics team, Blue Impulse, performing aerobatic maneuvers including the Olympics rings. This then makes me want to break out my Fujimi F-86 Sabre:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-89ffd/images/stencil/1024x1024/products/2975/6629/1__48943.1328281486.jpg?c=2

And so on.  

CorsairMan, just a couple months you were inspired to build an Apollo Lunar Module ... where'd it go?  :whistle:

I get inspired from both YouTube vids that remind me of my youth ... going to the Drag Races, Airshows and events that happened in High School ... like the Apollo Space Program. This subject has kept me inspired for the last 10 or 11 years ...  :yahoo:

Pete

1 hour ago, K2Pete said:

CorsairMan, just a couple months you were inspired to build an Apollo Lunar Module ... where'd it go?  :whistle:

Oh it’s still there! But I have a few kits that are on the pile that will probably take me to the end of the year to complete.

I do a LOT of driving and the "On The Bench" and "Scale Model Podcast" podcasts provide a lot of inspiration and entertainment. Good fun to have playing whilst im building to.

DC

I grew up with aviation and modelling. Building Mustangs and Corsairs as a kid inspired me to learn all I could about WWII history and pursue flying. My dad and grandfather got me started early and although they have both passed I have never lost the passion. I've spent a good chunk of my life flying warbirds and interacting with veterans but I always fall back on 'the next build'...there is something about recreating the past in miniature. I think being part of several forums and seeing the quality and passion others have, brings out the best of what I can do as well.

Jim

47242945062_3715d73f5c_n.jpgVIntage (379) by Jim Harley, on Flickr

47242945652_2e0f76708b_n.jpgVIntage (111) by Jim Harley, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...