Someone feel sorry for me....

...please. Getting ready to apply decals of 1/48 low viz vf-84 f-14a and the decals are not dark enough. They blend right into the medium grey. So now what? I am soooooooooo peeved. No other markings will work on this version. I wonder how far I can huck this one. Heavy sighs

Hi Goondmam,

Just going out on a limb here. Using the base grey, tint it out with off white and spray the whole bird ( lighten the medium grey with off white and thin it down ). Make it slightly thicker than a wash-you’ll have more control. Might require two, or worst case, four applications. But it’ll lighten it possibly enough for your contrast. Of course, you’ll have to remask your wells/afterburner sections/cockpit etc. Try it first on a scrap wing and you can practice for the desired finish.

Best of luck!

afoxbat

Ooh, that hurts!! I had that same thing happen to me. I ended up buying another set of decals from the manuf, stripping the model, and repainting with a lighter tint of the color. I was lucky that it was a resin model, so stripping it was easy using Mr Color Thinner.

First and foremost, don't put anything adhesive atop the decals!  Could you cut plain paper masks for the decals you've already applied? If so, perhaps just hold the plain paper mask atop the decals and try what afoxbat suggested. Alternately, if you can get replacement decals, you could just overpaint as afoxbat suggested and the apply new decals atop the older decals.