707-27 - 707 and 727 mashup

Neat idea, too bad the name 777 is already taken.

Have you given thought to joining the leftover 707 tail to the 727 fuselage wing, for the ultimate Boeing glider?

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

Neat idea, too bad the name 777 is already taken.

Have you given thought to joining the leftover 707 tail to the 727 fuselage wing, for the ultimate Boeing glider?

I have.  The back story is  silly. I imagine a backstory where the 707-27 tows the glider .. it is something of a ultra economy class.  One scenario is that it tows the glider all the way to the same destination. The other idea is that say, the two of them depart the east coast, say from IAD and the destination is LAX ... They could cut the glider loose approaching DFW and the glider lands,  making it an intermediate destination for the passengers on the glider.  The idea of not being able to go around with hundreds of people aboard is terrifying. But it is an fun idea of a dystopian future of ultra economy class travelling.

• 1 month later...

Wow over a month has passed since I have updated this thread. I am sorry to be so negligent. 

Any way, I will recap what I have done since the last time we talked

I installed the cockpit windows, and after lots of sanding and polishing, I ended up with a seamless installation. I will use decals to represent the windows, so it was a good opportunity to have fun polishing

2v2EGhpNqx9awpY.jpg

I glued the wings in place

2v2EGhpjdx9awpY.jpg

and as expected, there were gaps to deal with

2v2EGhp8yx9awpY.jpg

2v2EGhpM5x9awpY.jpg

So I decided to use miliput to sculpt the gaps, to avoid sanding in the wing root

2v2EGhpzNx9awpY.jpg

2v2EGhcorx9awpY.jpg

and after primer, the results were unsatisfactory:

2v2EGhc2jx9awpY.jpg

2v2EGhc3nx9awpY.jpg

The bottom I can do with red putty and sanding, but on the top,  I will need to think of something 🤔 

Milliput is hard to work with. I have perfect plastic putty, and that seems to work ok for the "wipe off" method. Maybe I will try that next. I am open to suggestions.

I will keep pushing, I would like to bring this to a show on 9/21 

Edited by Kurt H.
there was some kinda messup
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I did not finish. The wing root seam is my current battle

20190901_034135sm-vi.jpg[/URL]

Perfect plastic putty just did not seem to get into the gap. I resorted to using red bondo putty on my finger tip. A day later I used Q tips and paper towels to smooth it.  I am trying to avoid sanding in this area because I have a tendency to make a channel, a trench which looks worse than a gap.

here is the other wing.

20190901_034101sm-vi.jpg

Next time I am in the model shop, I will spot prime it to see how it came out.

Edited by Kurt H.