CD48158 - 1/48 F-18 Hornet - The Early Years

Would there be interest in these? I've seen many vendor tables lately with the prototype 1/48 Monogram and Testors kits and 1/72 minicraft kits.... decals in the kits not so good.... both 1/48 and 1/72 scales. No rush... just a thought.

Edited by KursadA
6 hours ago, KursadA said:

It would certainly be a good candidate for the second "The Early Years" sheet.

And then F-16? Like I said no rush. 

Maybe even NASA markings too..... just thinking out loud.

22 hours ago, Emvar said:

Would there be interest in these? I've seen many vendor tables lately with the prototype 1/48 Monogram and Testors kits and 1/72 minicraft kits.... decals in the kits not so good.... both 1/48 and 1/72 scales. No rush... just a thought.

Definitely interested in 1/48.

8 hours ago, Piker38 said:

Decals for these early airframes would be awesome !

Which kit would be the best starting point to build the prototype Hornet in 1:48 ?

The Monogram kit is a good start.

Early releases of the Monogram kit had the open LEX slots. The molds were changed to fill the slots on later releases. 

I believe the Testors molds had the early open LEX as well. 

I hope you include the markings for the red trimmed prototype. It was the plane used for the spin test during trials, number six. I have the old IPMS article on the prototype markings if you would like to see it. if you haven't already. Looking forward to this one. I still have my copy of the Monogram kit in the stash.

Just hijacked Emil's topic and renamed it - based on the big success of the F-15 "The Early Years" sheet, the next entry in the series will be "F-18 Hornet: The Early Years". 

I will cover prototype and test Hornets in this sheet - probably no space for early service jets in this one, but we'll see.

5 hours ago, KursadA said:

Just hijacked Emil's topic and renamed it - based on the big success of the F-15 "The Early Years" sheet, the next entry in the series will be "F-18 Hornet: The Early Years". 

I will cover prototype and test Hornets in this sheet - probably no space for early service jets in this one, but we'll see.

You can Hijack any of my topics to add a product code. Now please hijack the CL-600/605 thread 😁

Definitely interested in the early counter shaded camo scheme, and prototype blue/gold markings.  Good idea. Prefer 1/48 as I have a few of the Hasegawa legacy Hornets in the stash.

Rick L.

I knew there was a reason my conversion was on hold

269909689_1253973975084428_8988545454365523531_n.thumb.jpg.f75d866836f377a59e9dd4e72b77c76b.jpg

Please let me know if you need any information on the prototype Hornet as I've analysed it in depth, and it is important to note that the markings varied significantly during the early days. The markings on the first flight were different to the markings on the day of the rollout even. Looking forward to this sheet and a good reason to get my conversion completed.

F-18A Prototype 160775 11 Nov 1978.jpg

Edited by CraigSargent
Just now, CraigSargent said:

I knew there was a reason my conversion was on hold

http://www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-follow-as-i-build/32250-hasegawa-1-48-f-18-hornet-prototype-conversion

Please let me know if you need any information on the prototype Hornet as I've analysed it in depth, and it is important to note that the markings varied significantly during the early days. The markings on the first flight were different to the markings on the day of the rollout even. Looking forward to this sheet and a good reason to get my conversion completed.

F-18A Prototype 160775 11 Nov 1978.jpg

Craig thought you finished your build..... remember it well using the Hasegawa kit. Looking forward to your references.

• 4 months later...