CD48158 - 1/48 F-18 Hornet - The Early Years

I noticed the BuNo for TF-18A #1 on this sheet.   Will the "T1" titles for the tails be included on the second sheet that you've mentioned?   (I regret that I wasn't able to contribute any resources to this decal project.)

That was the plan but I am modifying the design of this sheet a little bit, so I will most likely eliminate the second sheet and move these markings to the main sheet. 

I'm a long-time fan of Legacy Hornets... Very happy to find this thread on representing early hornets...

Looking forward to having second batch (in 1/72 scale)...

Thank you for working on!

BTW, I kindly ask you when it would be available?

No plan to re-produce Early F-15 in 1/72 scale...? (On your website, #72087 is not shown)

Edited by morehj
  • 2 months later...

I am sure many of you have received your decals by now - let me know what you think. The 1/72 version is coming in the next batch of releases in January; and I am looking forward to seeing the first builds using this sheet.

20 hours ago, KursadA said:

I am sure many of you have received your decals by now - let me know what you think. The 1/72 version is coming in the next batch of releases in January; and I am looking forward to seeing the first builds using this sheet.

Got mine last night.  Looks great.  Cannot wait to find a F-18B.  These Early sheets are becoming a real favorite.  

Edited by AD-4N
On 12/9/2019 at 2:27 PM, KursadA said:

The sheet looks great. And to verify,  I need a Kintec F-18A .. which appears to be currently offered as a F-18A/B/C/D. And if I choose properly it looks like I could do 1 two seater and 1 single seater with what is provided on this sheet.

Edited by Kurt H.
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The FSD jets had Martin Baker Mk.10 seats.  Production jets initially had MB SJU-5/A seats (SJU-6/A in the aft cockpits).  My understanding is the SJU-5/A is a modified Mk.10 but I don't know if there are external visible differences.

1 hour ago, The Arrowhead said:

Anyone has info about the type of LERX for the TF-18A #1 as depicted on the decal sheet ? I’m quite confident about a series version for the wing (no dogtooth, large span ailerons) but I wonder if the LERX would still be in prototype configuration with the slot.

TIA

I have looked at dong TF-18 #1 in the blue and gold scheme, and one photo appears to show the LERX slot, and a slightly later photo has no light coming through the LERX, so so slot.  The photos also show there is no blue and gold stripe that crosses the ailerons, so my assumption is that the ailerons are long span and not painted with the trim colours. The position of the intake warning chevron is also different.  For that reason, I would say that the aircraft would have the production configuration LERX, straight leading edge and long span ailerons.

Is there a timescale to the aerodynamic modifications - i.e. were they all done at the same time, or phased?

Stabilizer dog-tooth removal

Wing leading edge dog-tooth removal and cut back leading edge (according to the Detail and Scale book)

Filling in LERX slots

Extending span of ailerons

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, habu2 said:

Early releases of the Monogram kit had the open LEX slots. The molds were changed to fill the slots on later releases. 

I just scored an early Monogram kit (molded in white).  Now I can used this super sheet. 

It's funny when you buy a kit off eBay and discover the project the original owner was contemplating.  Included in the kit were some old yellowed Fujimi 1/48 (or 1/50  . . . . I've heard both) A-6A Intruder decals.  

I suspect at some point he or she was going to do the F-18 in some WHIF "in-service" scheme but didn't get a around to it.  Now, 41 years later I get to use state of the art decals on it.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, KursadA said:

40 years collecting dust in a slide binder somewhere, and they surface after I design the decals in two scales.. oh well.

Isn't that how it always works? 😕

Ben

• 2 years later...

Kursad: I recently got the 1/48 sheet and noticed there are no McDonnell Douglas logo's on it while both 160775 and T1 160781 had these logo's on the tail section. Any reason why not included?

2 hours ago, Nebbor said:

Kursad: I recently got the 1/48 sheet and noticed there are no McDonnell Douglas logo's on it while both 160775 and T1 160781 had these logo's on the tail section. Any reason why not included?

They are trademarked commercial logos; and I am not sure they were carried throughout the test program. 

Edited by KursadA
7 hours ago, KursadA said:

They are trademarked commercial logos; and I am not sure they were carried throughout the test program. 

On 8/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, KursadA said:

Thanks, Daniel! I think we are almost there - I can see that it is the same Hornet character (with "18" on his belly) used on the artwork on the carrier trials jet. I still can't make out everything but I think I can design something pretty close which will work for 48th and 72nd scales. 

Now if only we could find something similar for the marking on the twin seater T1.

http://caracalmodels.com/images/tf18q1.jpg

Pretty sure they carried it through the test program as shown in this image posted by you. Not sure if you are not allowed reproduce a company logo for the purpose of scale modelling but McDonnell-Douglas is a non-existing company since Boeing absorbed it, I would expect no issues. And you reproduced several other company logo's on other sheets (e.g. NASA), why not this one?

Rethorical question, info on MDD trademarks sent by PM. I guess just one more item to add to my custom print decal sheet.

Edited by Nebbor
clarification
6 hours ago, Nebbor said:

Pretty sure they carried it through the test program as shown in this image posted by you. Not sure if you are not allowed reproduce a company logo for the purpose of scale modelling but McDonnell-Douglas is a non-existing company since Boeing absorbed it, I would expect no issues. And you reproduced several other company logo's on other sheets (e.g. NASA), why not this one?

Rethorical question, info on MDD trademarks sent by PM. I guess just one more item to add to my custom print decal sheet.

NASA is a public institution. Boeing most likely acquired all rights on the McDonnell-Douglas logo along with the company.

At the time I was dealing with the lawyers of another entity over my use of another logo and I might have been overcautious. While NASA is a public institution, I have used company logos (including the McDD one) in later products.

There has always been an image of the said decal sheet on the Web site and I do not think anything was misrepresented. If I ever do a reprint of the sheets (likely in a few years), I will include the logos on a small insert. if you are not pleased with the decal sheet as it is, you can always contact me via e-mail to arrange a return and a refund. 

Edited by KursadA
3 hours ago, arnobiz said:

NASA is a public institution. Boeing most likely acquired all rights on the McDonnell-Douglas logo along with the company.

as explained to Kursad by PM the problem is most likely the other way around: MDD logo has no trademarks, NASA logo does have trademarks.

35 minutes ago, KursadA said:

At the time I was dealing with the lawyers of another entity over my use of another logo and I might have been overcautious. While NASA is a public institution, I have used company logos (including the McDD one) in later products.

There has always been an image of the said decal sheet on the Web site and I do not think anything was misrepresented. If I ever do a reprint of the sheets (likely in a few years), I will include the logos on a small insert. if you are not pleased with the decal sheet as it is, you can always contact me via e-mail to arrange a return and a refund. 

Indeed the image was and is there, just (me) hoping for a (non-mentioned) insert correcting this missing MDD logo issue. If Monogram or ESCI could use the graphics in the early eighties, why not Caracal thirty years later? My custom sheet is not full yet so still able to get the markings eventually, it just might take a bit longer than hoped for. Unfortunately this means another kit pushed WAY back on the to-complete list.