Looks like I'll start an updated, 21st century F-16XL. I have no idea what the designation would have been: F-16E block 52? 62? Whatever it is, we'll see how it would look if active in the current Air Force, using the Skunk Models 1/48 kit. I probably should have finished something first- but what's one more ongoing project?

(I'll add photos tomorrow)

Edited by Camus272
21 hours ago, spejic said:

Are you going to keep the small pylons, or install the regular F-16 set?

I'm planning on regular pylons for PGMs, but now you've got me thinking, with the development of JDAMs and SDBs advancing the effectiveness of free-fall munitions, I wonder if the individual bomb racks would have become a thing again. I'm not sure if  I can afford to source that much ordnance though.

• 2 weeks later...

20190319_020927

Having got most of it together (and testing some Have Glass colors), I realized a few things:

1. I now have three directions I want to go with this build, (an added danger of a what-if).

2. After putting the tail, I realized the F-16XL had a problem with chaff and flare launchers - they are covered by the Amraams. So the F-16EX (as I label it) is going to have the extended tail to make some room for them (which required some cutting, casting and insertion of the new part).

On 3/5/2019 at 2:12 PM, Hajo L. said:

Is that 1:48?

HAJO

Yes, 1/48. With the two-seater released this week I may end up doing more XLs than I planned.

Edited by Camus272
  • 2 weeks later...

Camus,   are there bomb shackles for all the small pylons in your kit? Your build got me looking into one of mine and I don't seem to see the shackles among the parts but they are indicated on the instructions.