54 minutes ago, Tank said:

The biggest that I recall is the Engine Air Particle Separators (EAPS) on the D model and not on the A model. The stub wing looks different also but don't quote me on that.

https://www.sikorskyarchives.com/S-65H-53D SEA STALLION.php

HTH

All CH-53As ended up with EAPS, but they were not initially installed early in the production run.

As far as I can tell, there were few external difference, the D got an improved transmission and an automatic rotor fold.

mason

• 3 weeks later...

The CH-53A’s that the USAF obtained all came with EAPS.   They also had the -6B engines.   I remember having to be very careful when flying them out of Kirtland AFB as the engines were not very powerful.   Externally, they looked just like any other H-53.   Once we put the titanium rotor blades, hoist, air refueling probe and the -100 engines on them, they became very good helicopters.   I landed one in the Pecos mountains one night at 12,500 feet during a rescue.  

• 9 months later...

The D had “bat wings” with Large Auxiliary Fuel Tanks. The A model never did.

As noted above, the EAPS barrels were added on very early in the program, especially all 53’s deployed to Vietnam.

Most notable airframe difference was the rear half of each engine cowling. A model (had the -6 engines) were not flush with the exhaust and had a curved elliptical look which exposed more of the exhaust.

• 11 months later...

Some good observations above. But also some more detail needed:

Production CH-53A's were delivered  to the USMC with:

GE T-64-6B engines (short engine cow;. long -6B exhaust sticks out, fastest way to tell a true "A" model 53) 

Automatic Blade fold (Hydraulically)

Automatic Tail Fold (hydraulically)

EAPS not installed (But designed)

No bat wings

No Aux tanks

CH-53D's

All of the above except:

GE T-64-413 engines

Same transmission

No bat wings 

No aux tanks

The fleet called these 53's "slicks" or "super A's"

The USMC started installing the bat wings and 650 gallon aux tanks under an Airframes Change Notice, that was approved by at that time BUAer, now NAVAIRSYSCOM.  Both the fleet depot activities and the factory under the next production contract started installing the USMC bat wing/aux tank configuration. in the late 70's.

The USN RH-53D, with -413 engines and later -415 engines followed closely the USAF HH-53C configuration.

CH-53D's came with "wet heads" meaning the sleeve and spindle assy needed to be oiled, and also the 53D came with Elastomeric Rotor Heads (ERH) "dry heads".  Only a few HMH-463 "Pegasus" aircraft out of Hawaii, MCAS Kaneohe, had a 53D slick, with an ERH installed.  By the time the "dry head" was fleet wide almost the entire USMC 53D fleet had aux tanks installed.

USAF HH-53B, HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giants

basically a CH-53D configuration but these additions:

Aerial Refueling Probe

Early bat wings w/struts some with out depending on the aux tank

250 gallon low profile aux tanks

300 gallon aux tanks

400 gallon aux tanks

automatic tail fold

non folding MRH

EAPS were apart of the contract, but I have many pictures of the EAPS not installed on 53B/C helos, but in SEA, they look to always have the EAPS installed from the pics I have and have seen.  i realize the USAF birds of that time had numerous other add-ons, field modifications, avionics upgrades etc for their CSAR mission in South East Asia.

But the aux tanks, the engine cowls and the dry head vs wet head really determine the variant for the services.

r/Gy Dan

• 2 weeks later...

John,

This Restkit upgrade is appropriate for USMC CH-53D's.  1980's all the way to their retirement in 2008.  That resin kit represents the correct Elastomeric Rotor Head (ERH) as well as the correct Main Gear Box (MGB) for USMC CH-53D's. 

r/Gunny Dan