Anyone with Modelcollect B2 - warped parts?

Hi guys,

I lost my account's details, so had to create a new account. Not that it matters since I don't really post anything valuable. :-)

Anyway, I just got a good deal on Modelcollect's B2 (equivalent to around 90 USD), so could not pass it. The model is new, from a hobby shop but it seems it has taken some beating in transport.

The left/right wing halves (both top and bottom) seem to be warped - please take a look at the attached photos - the edges are not level when sitting on a flat surface, comparing left to right.

Does anyone else have or had a similar issue with theirs? If you have a copy in your stash, would you do me a favor and check?

Also, is it fixable or would you return the model?

Also, although packaged nicely in foam, the edge of one of the wing tips got squashed - see attached. Is this something that can be fixed with a little bit of putty and sanding? The other wingtip is sharp with nicely defined corner.

Apologies for the perhaps trivial question but I lack experience and the actual wingtip edges are really thin.

Thank you in advance!

Warp 1.JPG

warp 2.JPG

I'm easily bothered with all kind of small things, so I'm know your feeling very well, in this case I made a bargain then the suspicion that it has something inferior :-)

Short answer is: in this case no, everything is normal with your kit, nowadays warp is very common, it's no caused by packaging or transport. It's fixable since you have 2 halves to glue together, so you can correct the wrap or twist before the glue sets.

For this kit it's common that the wingtip get bent too, you can see it on online reviews, it's got damaged because the cutout in the foam is way too tight, so it get bent when peole press it into the form. unfortunately It can not be fixed by putty easily.

Anyway, return it not because of these issues, but only if you do not like the kit, it does have shape issues . I have to go, I you wish I can try a longer answer later.

Hi delide,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Yes, exactly - 'I made a bargain then the suspicion that it has something inferior' - this is precisely what I thought. Unfortunately, I am a bit OCD...

I agree with everything you have written - the warping was due to storage - the protective foam in the box is too rigid and probably over time warps the parts. I also found the photos of the bent wingtips later on in the reviews and came to my senses. 🙂

Thanks a lot again!

Heat a large flat area of boiling water.   Heat the parts in the boiling water.  Then remove and quickly place against a flat glass surface (I used the cold glass top of my oven) to press the parts flat.   Always heat with boiling water, do not try and apply any other heat source direct to the part.   Add a bit of salt to the water to increase the boiling temperature a bit.

Experiment with some sprue tree parts first if you like.

I would pay half price for this kit if this was the only issue as I could fix this.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! Yes, I forgot to add that I had already fixed the warping. I did not use boiling water since the parts were not very distorted - I used a hairdryer and cold water instead. It worked like a charm after 2 or 3 attempts.

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Majekem said:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! Yes, I forgot to add that I had already fixed the warping. I did not use boiling water since the parts were not very distorted - I used a hairdryer and cold water instead. It worked like a charm after 2 or 3 attempts. 

Thank you.

Excellent, good to hear it worked.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:47 PM, Majekem said:

Hi delide,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Yes, exactly - 'I made a bargain then the suspicion that it has something inferior' - this is precisely what I thought. Unfortunately, I am a bit OCD...

I agree with everything you have written - the warping was due to storage - the protective foam in the box is too rigid and probably over time warps the parts. I also found the photos of the bent wingtips later on in the reviews and came to my senses. 🙂

Thanks a lot again!

You're welcome! Yes, I have been down exactly the same road too many times myself X-P  Glad to know you have already fix the warp and gotten out of there!