more NASA subjects?

I definitely want to do some NASA sheets. I really have not started planning yet - there are just too many active projects right now. But even a multi-type NASA sheet is a possibility for later in the year.

6 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Maybe just a nice sheet with the different NASA logo's and lettering styles in several sizes so you could do 1/32/48/72 on one sheet

IPMS did a sheet of NASA logos in different styles and scales many years ago. I have one but haven’t seen any offered in a long long time. 

If there was need for details on the KC-135A Vomit Comet, I am curator here at the Lone Star Flight Museum and drive by it every day at Ellington.  Have lots of good pictures of the Super Guppy from it's occasional visits over here.  Might make a nice 1/144 sheet, along with some of the other big birds such as the Vomit Comet DC-9, the Lockheed Constellation, Sofia 747 and Kuiper Airborne Observatory C-141A.  (Actually a Lockheed L-300 civilian version.)

I, too, can shoot photos of the Vomit Comet On A Stick.  It's all of a four mile drive for me and a reason to make another visit to the museum.  While I don't have flight line access, it's pretty easy to see into the NASA open-air hanger.  There are almost always T-38s there.  I haven't seen the Super Guppy in awhile, though.

And, Collings Foundation (I assume) has a Stoof parked right next to the road as well as a Mig-21 2-seater though it's not as photogenic as the Stoof.  The occasional appearances by their F-4E are too far away for any decent photos.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, swbailey said:

If there was need for details on the KC-135A Vomit Comet, I am curator here at the Lone Star Flight Museum and drive by it every day at Ellington.  Have lots of good pictures of the Super Guppy from it's occasional visits over here.  Might make a nice 1/144 sheet, along with some of the other big birds such as the Vomit Comet DC-9, the Lockheed Constellation, Sofia 747 and Kuiper Airborne Observatory C-141A.  (Actually a Lockheed L-300 civilian version.)

@swbailey

Photos are always welcome.  All of your proposed subjects are worthy, though I will point out that Kursad already released the NASA L-300 Kuiper Airborne Observatory markings in 1/144 scale on his CD144002 C-141 sheet.  They are very nice, but more detailed photos couldn't hurt. 

Cheers!

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
add link
44 minutes ago, Radoslaw Pietrys said:

Nasa painting is a nice subject, and the market lack of decals in the scale of 1/48 to f / a-18A, B F-15, TF-104G, F-104, F-14, f-16, f16XL and F-16 XL2 .
if such a sheet appears, I will definitely buy it;)

I second that suggestion, but in 1/72 scale and even 1/144 scale!  

On 3/7/2019 at 12:19 PM, KursadA said:

I definitely want to do some NASA sheets. I really have not started planning yet - there are just too many active projects right now. But even a multi-type NASA sheet is a possibility for later in the year.

Even a generic sheet of NACA/NASA insignias and numbers would be a good seller - the CE NASA sheet goes for big bucks on eBay. I regret selling mine years ago (along with a similar IPMS sheet).

30 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Even a generic sheet of NACA/NASA insignias and numbers would be a good seller - the CE NASA sheet goes for big bucks on eBay. I regret selling mine years ago (along with a similar IPMS sheet).

Hmm - then let's make one for the Caracal Basics line.

Thanks for the suggestion, folks (aircal62 and Bob) - I will send you first one to you when it comes back from the printers.

I should be able to design one in half an hour, if I take a 10 minute coffee break in between. I will announce a product number later today.

Edited by KursadA

I agree on a generic sheet in your basic line.  I suggest that you do not include the yellow band behind the NASA lettering.  This would allow greater use of the various sizes and the yellow background can be easily painted on the model to suit the aircraft.  NASA in black block lettering as well as the NASA in black slanted (not often used) would be a nice and useful option.  Black stripes 1" scale width in 72nd, 48th and 32nd.  The NASA meatball logo would also make this a most useful sheet.  These are tough items to find.  Over the past 60 years NASA has flown a bewildering variety of aircraft.  

Which sizes do I need to cover, though? I will download the latest version of NASA’s specs on logos and branding, which may offer some help on currently used sizes. But I could use some help on other sizes that were used over time. I have everything else I need, so it will be a simple matter of sizing and arranging stuff.

The old "meatball" logo appears to be a bit more uniform size wise than the NASA on the tails.  The NASA on the tails (black lettering on yellow band) varied a great deal in both size and style depending on who painted it on the aircraft, but standard sizes appear to be 8" ht at the smallest to 24" at the largest.  Thus I feel if you go in size 3"  bumps you'll cover about everything especially if there are 72nd and 32nd sizes.  Looks like anything uniform did not come about until the mid seventies, before that it was the just about anything goes.   

On 3/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, KursadA said:

Hmm - then let's make one for the Caracal Basics line.

Thanks for the suggestion, folks (aircal62 and Bob) - I will send you first one to you when it comes back from the printers.

I should be able to design one in half an hour, if I take a 10 minute coffee break in between. I will announce a product number later today.

Cool. You should do well with it. Here's the MM review of the CE shet:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/ce/ce48236.htm

Yeah a NASA basics sheet would be great...... but I'd also be in for a specific sheet with the different aircraft types on it. You might need multiple sheets early to present. I just hope someone makes a X-29 in 1/48th scale.