more NASA subjects?

1 hour ago, TomTheCat said:

As far as I know, the NASA had two SR-71s available.

Three, including the one that they did not fly. And all three will be on the upcoming SR-71 sheets in 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 scale.

13 hours ago, KursadA said:

Three, including the one that they did not fly. And all three will be on the upcoming SR-71 sheets in 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 scale.

Ah, all right. I was aware you were working on SR-71 decals, but I admit I didn't look what exactly will be on them. Thanks anyway :D

• 5 weeks later...

Well; now that you mention NASA aircraft decals, I would want any aircraft with a NASA paint job since that is what I exclusively build (in 1/72 scale).

But there is one NASA aircraft that has been bugging me, the NASA version of the P3 Orion.

Only two decal providers (Microscale & Ronin) have done a NASA P3 and both did the same aircraft NASA 927 Earth Survey 1 in 1/72 scale.

Both providers have done these a while ago and decal  sheets don't get better with age.

The rub is NASA 927 (see photo links) had its MAD boom removed (or it never had one) and it's got a big nose.

The only P3 kits available (at least in 1/72) are the Navy P3's with the MAD Boom & smaller nose. 

How about doing NASA 426, it has the MAD boom (was removed later but NASA left the longer tail) & a normal P3 nose.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9230550

N927NA Nasa Earth Survey 1

Edited by Solo7
Moved things around for better reading
19 minutes ago, Solo7 said:

Well; now that you mention NASA aircraft decals, I would want any aircraft with a NASA paint job since that is what I exclusively build (in 1/72 scale).

But there is one NASA aircraft that has been bugging me, the NASA version of the P3 Orion.

Only two decal providers (Microscale & Ronin) have done a NASA P3 and both did the same aircraft NASA 927 Earth Survey 1 in 1/72 scale.

Both providers have done these a while ago and decal  sheets don't get better with age.

The rub is NASA 927 (see photo links) had its MAD boom removed (or it never had one) and it's got a big nose.

The only P3 kits available (at least in 1/72) are the Navy P3's with the MAD Boom & smaller nose. 

How about doing NASA 426, it has the MAD boom (was removed but NASA left the longer tail) & a normal P3 nose.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9230550

N927NA Nasa Earth Survey 1

@Solo7

The reason for the odd configration of 927 is becasue it was the prototype YP3V-1 Orion BuNO 148276; essentailly a shortened Electra airliner with a bombbay and cruciform mad tail before it was removed and replaced with the standard Electra tail cone.  It was truly a one off aircraft, hence bailing it to NASA.  BTW, it also carried the reg N428NA before becoming N927NA. 

HTH,

Dutch 

Dutch; Thank you for the info, I am no-way an aircraft expert (spacecraft yes). That is very interesting on the life & times of NASA 927. NASA loves getting the prototype aircraft (Exp: F5D Skylancer, Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III, 1st Boeing 737-100, etc.) from the manufacturer since I suspect NASA gets a big discount on prototypes, like NASA uses the aircraft or its the scrap yard. Plus the manufacturer I sure has a "you fly it & we don't want to ever have to worry if the aircraft losses a wing" agreement with NASA. 

Edited by Solo7
Add in 737
19 hours ago, Solo7 said:

Dutch; Thank you for the info, I am no-way an aircraft expert (spacecraft yes). That is very interesting on the life & times of NASA 927. NASA loves getting the prototype aircraft (Exp: F5D Skylancer, Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III, 1st Boeing 737-100, etc.) from the manufacturer since I suspect NASA gets a big discount on prototypes, like NASA uses the aircraft or its the scrap yard. Plus the manufacturer I sure has a "you fly it & we don't want to ever have to worry if the aircraft losses a wing" agreement with NASA. 

@Solo7  I am not sure about all that.  I suspect it has more to do with the fact that NASA routinely operates most of its fleet in the "Experimental " certification category for flight regimes or configurations that the FAA would not normally grant to other civil or military aircraft or operators, except as a one off flight, say for final repositioning to a museum or to a depot for repair purposes.  I assume that when NASA modifies an aircraft, let's say as F-8C above with a "Fly-by-Wire" flight control system that the original manufacturer never envisioned nor designed into the airframe, that it would "void" the warrantee.  So NASA essentailly gets a "free" aircraft that the manufacturer or military services no longer need after having wrung all the data they can from it and is not up to production standard.  Perhaps the manufacturer gets a tax write-off.  I know that the military does not.  Dunno.   R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...

Actually a NASA F-104 decal sheet would be awesome, with all of the various schemes represented or just the 3 major schemes as 013 above, the two tone "Dryden Scheme" and the last all white with blue scheme.   Also a sheet of USAF Test/Chase aircraft could be an interesting subject, as many of these aircraft were seen with the X-15 and others during that very colorful era. 

13 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Actually a NASA F-104 decal sheet would be awesome, with all of the various schemes represented or just the 3 major schemes as 013 above, the two tone "Dryden Scheme" and the last all white with blue scheme.   Also a sheet of USAF Test/Chase aircraft could be an interesting subject, as many of these aircraft were seen with the X-15 and others during that very colorful era. 

I am definitely doing it - it should be fairly easy to put together quickly after I come back from the UK. I will announce it in a couple of days.

How about some subtle Nasa F-104's?

My favourite, N820NA with the "italic"? NASA logo like the X-15/Sr-71/XB-70. G Model

104wN820.jpg

N812NA G model

104wN812a.jpg

56-0749 A model

306509main_E-6511_full.jpg

71303 (later N819NA) B model. Note the logo on the Tip Tank Fins.

f-104%2071303.jpg

On 7/8/2019 at 12:07 PM, aircal62 said:

+1. This should be a winner.

The Victory 1/48 sheet of US F-104s contains a bunch of NASA schemes, but is sold out and extremely sought after and coveted (I won't sell mine) and commanding ridiculous auction bids.  

2 hours ago, sierrascale said:

The Victory 1/48 sheet of US F-104s contains a bunch of NASA schemes, but is sold out and extremely sought after and coveted (I won't sell mine) and commanding ridiculous auction bids.  

Of course you won't sell yours - you will want to give it away to a youngster in the next local IPMS meeting after I am done with my USAF F-104 sheets sometime next year 🙂

Edited by KursadA
1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Of course you won't sell yours - you will want to give it away to a youngster in the next local IPMS meeting after I am done with my USAF F-104 sheets sometime next year 🙂

Now there’s a throw down!  Lol!