more NASA subjects?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 12:53 PM, aircal62 said:

The old "meatball" logo appears to be a bit more uniform size wise than the NASA on the tails.  The NASA on the tails (black lettering on yellow band) varied a great deal in both size and style depending on who painted it on the aircraft, but standard sizes appear to be 8" ht at the smallest to 24" at the largest.  Thus I feel if you go in size 3"  bumps you'll cover about everything especially if there are 72nd and 32nd sizes.  Looks like anything uniform did not come about until the mid seventies, before that it was the just about anything goes.   

Don't forget to include the meatball sized for the 1/72 and 1:48 LASRE kits now available................. please !!

Edited by Piker38

Kursad I love your sheets in general, but if you release a comprehensive NASA F-104 sheet I will be forever in your debt. 

Really though almost anything in NASA livery in 1/48 will really excite me. 

Zach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Caracal has been good to include NASA markings on several of their sheets like the 141 in 1/144, the MQ-9 Reaper, and U-2R/ER-2. 

There are several old Micro/Super scale sheets in 1/72 and 1/48 such as the SR-71, F-104A, P-3, OV-10, B-57B, U-2A, AH-1 Huey and Cobra. Otherwise, NASA coverage is almost random. Fundekals has a great 1/48 sheet that should be made in 1/72 as well as sheets for the F-102 in NACA markings in 1/48 and 1/72. Victory has a 1/48 sheet of 104s that has gone for stratospheric prices. Rocketeer covered the SR-71 and F-104 in 1/72 and 1/144 very well. Cutting Edge did a 1/48 Skyray in NACA markings as well as the NASA B-52s in 1/144 and 1/72., and a 1/48 sheet that included a NASA plane, and the X-1 in NACA markings in 1/72 and 1/48.  VM Decals did T-38s in 1/48 and 1/72. Three Guys did a 1/72 KC-135. Ronin had a 1/72 KC-135. Draw Decals does several NASA planes.  like the 747, S-3, Huey, and 757. Xtradecal did the C-47 and F-106 in 1/72. Vintage Flyer did the Guppy in 1/144.  JBOT did markings for several NASA planes before he quit the biz. There are NASA variants of most of the military fighters like the Harrier, F-15, F-16, F-18, and F-5F and drones like the Global Hawk and odballs like the F-107. 

1/48 might be a big investment, and I think there's room for comprehensive coverage of NASA aircraft in 1/72 for single/twin engine planes and 1/144 for large multiengine planes. 

The 106 has flown in several schemes: 

140.jpg

On 6/3/2019 at 2:14 PM, Solo7 said:

Well; now that you mention NASA aircraft decals, I would want any aircraft with a NASA paint job since that is what I exclusively build (in 1/72 scale).

But there is one NASA aircraft that has been bugging me, the NASA version of the P3 Orion.

Only two decal providers (Microscale & Ronin) have done a NASA P3 and both did the same aircraft NASA 927 Earth Survey 1 in 1/72 scale.

Both providers have done these a while ago and decal  sheets don't get better with age.

The rub is NASA 927 (see photo links) had its MAD boom removed (or it never had one) and it's got a big nose.

The only P3 kits available (at least in 1/72) are the Navy P3's with the MAD Boom & smaller nose. 

How about doing NASA 426, it has the MAD boom (was removed later but NASA left the longer tail) & a normal P3 nose.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9230550

N927NA Nasa Earth Survey 1

FWIW, NASA also flew P-3 428, which is covered on this Microscale sheet. You can find photos on the web. 

181404-10189-pristine.webp

• 2 weeks later...

Building aircraft flown by NASA has been one of my longest running themes. As the NASA F-104 has been served in model form by both kits and aftermarket decals in the major scales over the years, my preference would be for the more unusual/less aftermarket decaled NASA aircraft from Kursad. In 1/72, the NASA Tomcats, Harriers, Hornets all would be appreciated along with the ex-transports in 1/144. For those of you with an interest in NASA aircraft, I started to put together a database years ago of NASA aircraft that I could confirm with a solid reference or photos. It can be found at this link: http://www.ninfinger.org/models/nasacrft.html . Note that I have not had the time to update it in quite a few years but I betcha you will find some aircraft that you did not know were flown in NASA or NACA markings!

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Building aircraft flown by NASA has been one of my longest running themes. As the NASA F-104 has been served in model form by both kits and aftermarket decals in the major scales over the years, my preference would be for the more unusual/less aftermarket decaled NASA aircraft from Kursad. In 1/72, the NASA Tomcats, Harriers, Hornets all would be appreciated along with the ex-transports in 1/144. For those of you with an interest in NASA aircraft, I started to put together a database years ago of NASA aircraft that I could confirm with a solid reference or photos. It can be found at this link: http://www.ninfinger.org/models/nasacrft.html . Note that I have not had the time to update it in quite a few years but I betcha you will find some aircraft that you did not know were flown in NASA or NACA markings!

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

MIKE,

Athought I agree with you there have been many NASA subsets over the years, I think there is room for new ones. Take the 1/48 F-104. There are kits out there which include decals for a NASA they are not so great. The the decals in the Hasegawa NASA F-104 kit was brittle and nearly on usable. Plus I haven't seen a sheet that covers the TF-104G yet.

• 8 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, aircal62 said:

Also a sheet of USAF Test/Chase aircraft could be an interesting subject, as many of these aircraft were seen with the X-15 and others during that very colorful era. 

Well here's one subject woefully ignored by the aftermarket....  😞  The X-15 was well documented (easily researched) in photographs over it's career and, along with the X-1, is the most popular and recognized of all the X-planes.  There have been one or two small home-printed sheets by various baby seals available on eBay but they are not comprehensive and, frankly, not that well printed.

An X-15 kit in 1/72 would be a killer, especially with stencils.  The Monogram>Revell kit may be a snap-together kit but is quite accurate, inexpensive and easily available.  There is also a kit by MPM but it is expensive and hard to find.

Special Hobby also makes X-15 kits in 1/48 and 1/32.  The 1/48 kit is also $$$/htf but the 1/32 kits are magnificent and the supplied decal sheet is good but limited in coverage of the markings worn in the history of the program.

I have several X-15 kits (and books) in my stash and a sheet by Caracal is just what they need.  I'd be glad to help out with references.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi All,

I am also interested by NASA and prototype aircraft in 1/72 scale.  I have many decals about this subject (including the old microscale ones) and the excellent "Early years" sheets from Caracal Models.

I would like to see also some prototype conversion sets for aircraft such F-15, F-14... because all kits available are production version airplanes that don't have the details we found on prototype (like the early wing gloves on the F-14) and many NASA aircraft used are prototypes.  It would be great to see some resin conversion sets for prototypes to use with Caracal decals sheets.

I'll second habu2's request for decent 1/72 scale decals for the X-15. I want to build the slightly shorter original to hang from the NB-52, and the Monogram original (longer) with the external tanks. The kit decals are/were terrible and an aftermarket set I bought looks pretty iffy.