CD144019 - 1/144 C-9 Nightingale

Just a curiosity but does anyone know what the dimensions are for the cargo door on the forward port side?   I have a bunch of the walkway/cargo door decals from ATP so wondering if these will be a straight fit or if they need "adjusting"?

Not sure if Kursad has any more room for tweaking on this amazing sheet.

Depending on which set of walkway and cargo door outlines you have.  The cargo door on the DC-9 is 81" x 119".  I believe the ATP decal has the door at "80 x 120, so close enough. The DC-9 walkways are different and the early ATP decals gave a generic over wing escape walkway.  

11 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Depending on which set of walkway and cargo door outlines you have.  The cargo door on the DC-9 is 81" x 119".  I believe the ATP decal has the door at "80 x 120, so close enough. The DC-9 walkways are different and the early ATP decals gave a generic over wing escape walkway.  

Thanks for the dimensions.   It appears what I have will be close enough. 

The Aurora kit (and, I assume its offspring) was a fairly basic 1/72 scale kit of the DC-9 Series 10 airframe. The C-9A/B Nightingale is a Series 30 with an extended fuselage and longer wing tips. I built my C-9 by merging two kits' fuselages and scratching the wingtips and several other details. Don't know that there is any available kit of the Series 30 in 1/72 scale. 

Transport Wings (UK) has a very nice DC-9/C-9 vacuformed kit in 1/72.  I still have the US Navy decals for it. 

Additionally, Welsh Models (UK) just released a series of multimedia kits of the DC-9/C-9 series with four different kit numbers & decal marking options for: USAF C-9A; DC-9-14 Continental; DC-9-21/41 SAS; DC-9-31 North Central.  Definitely room for more markings here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Don, I am just waiting for a few more sheets to be relaeased so that I don't bankrupt Kursad with shipping individual sheets.  R/ Dutch

I preordered a pair of each (4).   Gotta keep my budget in check as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

In the early 1990s, I flew from Yokota AFB to Chitose on a C-9B for an exercise on Hokkaido.  Only time I ever used the rear air stairs.  Remember stepping off the air stair and discovering the ramp was nothing but ice.  Luckily I kept my footing.  😂

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, Paul Boyer said:

The Aurora kit (and, I assume its offspring) was a fairly basic 1/72 scale kit of the DC-9 Series 10 airframe. The C-9A/B Nightingale is a Series 30 with an extended fuselage and longer wing tips. I built my C-9 by merging two kits' fuselages and scratching the wingtips and several other details. Don't know that there is any available kit of the Series 30 in 1/72 scale. 

@Paul Boyer, Paul, your post got me thinking. I built my original Aurora DC-9 as the Hughes Airwest version back in the early-mid 1970s. Then, a few years later I removed the decals and painted it as a C-9A using spare Airfix C-130 decals. I think I remember cutting a stencil for the red cross on the tail.  I didn't care about fuselage length back then, but your post has me hankering for a redo.

So I recently purchased two Aurora DC-9 kits from two different Ebay vendors for $25 each plus shipping.  Rather than using both to make one, I am planning on making two C-9s. I am already drawing two fuselage plugs with flanges to silp inside the kit fuselage parts. I will ask my son to 3D print a few sets for me so I can test fit them. Once I am satisfied, I will tackle the wingtip extensions, also for 3D printing. 

Kind regards, 

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Dutch, I've been slowly working on the same project to 3d print.  Initially just to produce wing tips and flap actuators for the wings of the Aurora/Atlantis DC-9.   I then began looking at a stretch for the early kit to make a series 30.   The fuselage cross section of the Aurora kit is missing the double lobe  and is like the Airfix kit of the DC-9 in that respect.  So as I looked it became apparent that a new fuselage would actually be needed.  But Douglas changed the fuselage/wing fairing between the series 10 and the 30 making it extend back further along the fuselage.  So now the project sits in design while I mull where I want to go.  Once you do the fuselage, why not make better wings, engines and so on, and this started with a simple visual improvement of flap actuators and wing tips.  Sometimes is better to just build a kit rather than get your head into the weeds and enjoy seeing it on your shelf!  Or might be easier for me just to buy the Welsh Models kit or wait for a rumored BKP kit of the DC-9. But then that's why we love this as a hobby.  We build so much in our heads with every kit we make.   So now back to my wanting to build a 1/72 DC-9 sis 10 in Bonanza Airlines markings and thinking just build the darn thing.  

@aircal62,

Yeah, I hear you!  However, I am just focusing on fixing the obvious stuff, like fuselage length, wingspan & addition of the vordilons.  I may or may not add the fuselage crease or lower the horizontal stabilizers to neg 3 deg anhedral.  Contrails offers 1/72 JT8D-7 engines, but I don't think them necessary to my needs here. The kit is practically display model material and that is my goal for these two.  I agree, that if I wanted to build an accurate DC-9-30, I would use the Welsh kit as a basis.  Good to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Dutch

There is just a little crease in the Aurora fuselage, most notable behind the wing. If you want to win modeling trophies, you could correct that on your models. But then somebody else might beat your model with some three-year project. Meanwhile, I've had a decent-looking, nearly creaseless C-9As in my collection since 2008.😁

DSCN3567.JPG