CD144019 - 1/144 C-9 Nightingale

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, shouldn't there be a small  PACAF badge behind the cockpit windows for the 374th TAW aircraft? I am not sure that the 375th AMAW had a Wing badge, only MAC/AMC badge.

R/ Dutch 

I don't have it in the one reference photo that I used, but I can add one very quickly. As I mentioned, I don't think I will send this to be printed immediately - the next batch is already pretty crowded.

Excellent looking sheet Kursad.   You have the initial and final schemes that the AF used for it's med aircraft.   AMC did a publication on the Chronological History of the C-9 Nightingale.  You nailed both of them.  

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, shouldn't there be a small  PACAF badge behind the cockpit windows for the 374th TAW aircraft? I am not sure that the 375th AMAW had a Wing badge, only MAC/AMC badge.

R/ Dutch 

I've only seen one grainy pic of a C-9A with the PACAF badge.   All the other pics of 374th aircraft show the MAC/AMC badge.

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yeehah! Thank you for including VR-46 markings for 161530. Can you add an extra row of both USAF & USN serial/bureau/modex numbers so the modeler can make any serial/bureau number desired?

"...this one." Does that mean that there will be another one? Can't wait!!!

I will most definitely add a row of digits to the second sheet for window/windshield decals; which will be common to both C-9 sheets I will be doing.

As I mentioned, there is a second sheet with USMC/NASA/VC-9/Kuwaiti markings. I probably will not release that one until the first sheet sells out or comes close.

It is highly likely that this will be a limited (250 pcs)  release - I may even add it to the next batch coming in early May.

8 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I will most definitely add a row of digits to the second sheet for window/windshield decals; which will be common to both C-9 sheets I will be doing.

As I mentioned, there is a second sheet with USMC/NASA/VC-9/Kuwaiti markings. I probably will not release that one until the first sheet sells out or comes close.

It is highly likely that this will be a limited (250 pcs)  release - I may even add it to the next batch coming in early May.

Kursad, do you think you might have room to add the United States Air Force that replaced the Military Airlift Command on the second iteration of paintings?  If not, I'm content with the two AF versions you have provided.

I don't want to be a hoarder, so I am in for one USAF/USN sheet and will wait patiently for the other sheet. If you don't add the PACAF badge, it is ok. I can take one from the Microscale USAF Command sheet.

Edited by Dutch

C-9A Nightingale Aeromedical Evacuation aircraft on the flight line at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Vietnam, 1 February 1973.  The aircraft were used to fly the American prisoners of war released by the Viet Cong at Loc Ninh, South Vitenam to Clark Air Base in the Philippines 
C-9A Nightingale Aeromedical Evacuation aircraft on the flight line at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Vietnam, 1 February 1973. The aircraft were used to fly the American prisoners of war released by the Viet Cong at Loc Ninh, South Vitenam to Clark Air Base in the Philippines. Taken from: https://olive-drab.com/od_medical_evac_fixedwing_vietnam.php

Edited by Dutch
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, Drifterdon said:

Kursad, do you think you might have room to add the United States Air Force that replaced the Military Airlift Command on the second iteration of paintings?  If not, I'm content with the two AF versions you have provided.

Hey Kursad.   Not sure if you saw this request.  

23 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Hey Kursad.   Not sure if you saw this request.  

I sorted this out as well - you will need to cut and combine some markings but the option will be there.

Kursad,    The decal artwork looks outstanding.  You should have been doing airliner decals!  Seriously I have some info for you but got called out to another location for a week and did not get the materials into the mail right away.  A couple of things.  The tail cone jettison warning (red artwork you have that has the lower side angled.) It is actually a rectangle and the photos of it make it look like the lower end is angled.  Early decal artwork by Microscale and a few others showed it as you depict it,  but it is really a rectangle.    Another thing is on the left side of the aircraft behind the trailing edge of the wing and under the engine intake is a circular vent that is open only when the landing gear is down.  Its large and you can see it in the one photo above of the C-9A.  Its only on the left side.  When open the vent is circular and would have a line bisecting the circle through the middle and horizontal matching the floor line of the aircraft - that line would be the aircraft skin color.  Lastly the C-9's all had over wing escape markings applied on the top of the wings same as the civilian airline variants.   I have that artwork if you want it.  You may already have the artwork finalized and off the printer so this info will be of no use.  None of this is a deal breaker on this sheet, the job you did is outstanding, as is all of your work.   

18 minutes ago, Dutch said:

One other note: the colors of the Navy C-9B pinstripe is actually blue and metallic gold.  Sorry to have to add one more color to the mix.  Hope it's not too late.

The design has the right colors - the blue is a McDD color which is similar to Insignia Blue in tone (i.e. almost black) Microscale will print it in Insignia Blue.

Edited by KursadA
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

I was more concerned about the gold, actually.  It is definitely not muustard.

It is gold, Dutch - it is kind of hard to portray metallic colors on screen. I use specific colors in the design and then provide the printer a complete mapping of which ink should be used to print each color. I use this color (Pantone 103) as gold in all of my artwork, as I think it is a good approximation for gold color on screen. I could have used Pepto-Bismol pink to portray gold on the design, and the printer would use the correct metallic gold color as long as the mapping is correct.

Kursad,    The decal artwork looks outstanding.  You should have been doing airliner decals!  Seriously I have some info for you but got called out to another location for a week and did not get the materials into the mail right away.  A couple of things.  The tail cone jettison warning (red artwork you have that has the lower side angled.) It is actually a rectangle and the photos of it make it look like the lower end is angled.  Early decal artwork by Microscale and a few others showed it as you depict it,  but it is really a rectangle.    Another thing is on the left side of the aircraft behind the trailing edge of the wing and under the engine intake is a circular vent that is open only when the landing gear is down.  Its large and you can see it in the one photo above of the C-9A.  Its only on the left side.  When open the vent is circular and would have a line bisecting the circle through the middle and horizontal matching the floor line of the aircraft - that line would be the aircraft skin color.  Lastly the C-9's all had over wing escape markings applied on the top of the wings same as the civilian airline variants.   I have that artwork if you want it.  You may already have the artwork finalized and off the printer so this info will be of no use.  None of this is a deal breaker on this sheet, the job you did is outstanding, as is all of your work.   

I will correct the cone jettison warning - it really does look like this in the photos I used. I will add the circular vent and the wing escape markings (are these just the black areas near the wing roots? Any clear photos showing what they are?) on the black window insert.

I really should be doing more airliner decals, but the current size and scope of Caracal Models is as large as I can deal with at the present. Perhaps in the future..

Edited by KursadA

Ah so, desuka!  Carry on, Master.  Apologies for my ignorance. It is a learning process for me.  Please don't limit yourself to airliner decals.  You are doing just fine satisfying all of our "never before printed" military aircraft decal needs, wants and desires.  Carry on, Mr. Bowditch! 

Edited by Dutch