Hello,

I am making Monogram's 1/48 F-80C in markings from Microscale (48-164), which seem to be rather poorly researched. I am attempting to make this aircraft (FT-591 'Spirit of Hobo' from the 80th FBS in 1952):

ft-591.jpg

spirit-of-hobo-2.jpg

spirit-of-hobo.jpg

I have the following questions:

1. Is it just me, or does it look like there are yellow flashes on the *horizontal* tail surfaces in the second photo above? No manufacturer who has issued these markings (Microscale, Aeromaster, Airfix, Hasegawa) has interpreted the scheme in this way, but I am sure I can see some kind of yellow striping on the elevators.

2. I have only found images of the starboard side. Microscale say the nose art was on the port side only. Airfix and Hasegawa have the noseart on both sides. Aeromaster say starboard side only. Anyone have any images of the port side to determine who is correct?

The Microscale sheet has all kinds of other apparent errors (only two national insignia supplied, tail yellow markings wrong shape, yellow markings not edged in white as they should be, no 'US AIR FORCE' marking for the tail, ignore the yellow tips and tails of the fuel tanks, wrong stencilling (for an F-80A!), wrong location of the national insignia, etc., etc.). The Aeromaster sheet looks better, but I've only found that for CND$35, which I am not paying!

Any help much appreciated.

Jon

It does look like there are two yellow stripes on the horizontal stabs. You can see them pretty clearly on the elevators, since they are down. At that angle, they wouldn’t be able to reflect the ones on the tail.

Sorry I can’t help with the nose art.

Ben

On 3/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, Ben Brown said:

I still see stripes. 🤓  I think you can also see the pilot’s helmet reflecting off the wing near the aileron. The elevators are at the wrong angle to reflect the tail flashes.

Ben

I'm beginning to think you're right. Which is annoying because it's not entirely clear how many stripes there are (I think two) and what their geometry is! Nevertheless, I shall have a go at adding them...

Jon

4 minutes ago, f86esabre said:

This aircraft was with the 80th FBS. I have found no other 80th F-80's with any yellow strips on the horizontal.

steve

Thanks...but have you found any others with the fuselage and wing tank stripes? It seems to me this aircraft had very unique markings.

Jon

10 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Thanks...but have you found any others with the fuselage and wing tank stripes? It seems to me this aircraft had very unique markings.

Jon

No I have not. And I'm thinking that the strips are real also. I did a  reflectance test and it would not look like that unless the strips are real. The other yellow strips have a white border unlike other aircraft I have seen. This was a special celebration event so painted different than other aircraft.

Steve