Making Laser, IR sensor, and FLIR Canera Lens'

Many modern weapons like missiles and bombs have a sensor on the nose for Infra Red (IR), Laser, or GPS guidance. Typically the sensor is mounted behind a coated lens to protect the sensor and allow it to have a wide field of view. Many times modelers paint them using gloss paint. The tutorial on my blog will show you how to replicate the coated lens appearance.

https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-make-laser-and-ir-sensor-heads/

dscn1655.jpg

Edited by Wolfman_63
  • 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

So what else can be used for the acrylic gel?

Tim

Good question, I live in the Philippines, its hard to find basic modelling products here, something tells me that acrylic gell may not be one of them.

Actually, if I know what it is most often used for, that too might help us narrow down as well, but a quick search has lead me to a fight about better finger nails. Is that the direction we should go to locate this product?

Thanks as always,

Anthony Stalker6recon D'Agostino

14 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

I don't know that answer either. I'll look around for some answers for you.

Tim

I looked around only saw fights about which nail finish is best, but no info yet where to buy. It's a cool method of making bland, not really accurate, missiles actually pop. Now for the fun part, if I find the product, I am going to try to make a tiny seeker lense and embed that into the get. Of course I will use just a cut piece of styrene for the testing.

If I do find the gel, and the test comes back positive, I will post pics on this thread.

EDIT. A quick search on Amazon pulled up several different products, some for painting, others for nail art, basically painting as well. Looks inexpensive too, bonus.

Anthony

Edited by Stalker6recon
New content
1 hour ago, hawkwrench said:

That is pretty much the same as what I found on Amazon. Comes in tubs as well, and just a few dollars or which ever currency you buy in. I asked a nail salon if they had any, but they said no. She didn't really seem to understand me, so I think she just said no to stop the conversation, English makes them shy really quick.

Anyway, as soon as I find some, I start experimenting.

Cheers,

Anthony

The acrylic gel medium is used for painting with pigments. Typically at arts and crafts or artist supply stores. Places like Michael's arts and  crafts and Hobby Lobby in the U.S.

In the Philippines they have a brand called Golden acrylic gel sold at Deovir artist supply stores. See http://www.deovirarts.com/golden-extra-heavy-gel-gloss-236ml/