391st Expeditionary Fighter Squadron F-15Es

So apparently, this trend on deployed Strike Eagles with nose art is going to continue, and in a big way!  My humble side hustle, Third Offset Designs, is proud to present our second print capturing the heritage of OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE deployed F-15Es, this time from the 391st Fighter Squadron.  This print will be available starting Wednesday, March 13th, from Third Offset Designs.

Here's a quick preview video of the print, and some of the artwork.  I'll add a full size picture once the print is on sale:

391st EFS - OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE

Also, if you hadn't checked us out for a while, we've got a few new Maquette prints, which are 11x17" single subjects, including The USN Legacy Hornet Sundown, an RCAF print for the 2018 CF-18 NORAD 60th Anniversary Demo, and another 366FW F-15E for the Mountain Home 75th Anniversary celebration.  Check 'em out, they're pretty cool.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Waco
4 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

More decals coming I think! Looks nice.

1 hour ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Sure hope more decals are on the ways. Some of those are just down-right awesome, and I've been wanting some updated Bold Tiger markings for my Great Wall kit. 

Aaron 

I'm confused. The post by Waco is for 11x17 prints of artwork he has done. I didn't see any decals for sale on his site.

Guys, I'm not in the decal business.  My company produces prints.  The Bold Tigers print is the latest in my "Heritage Series" line, and will be printed at 18x24".  Our smaller maquettes (the F-18s and the 75th Anniversary) are printed at 11x17".

However, I would not be surprised if decal manufacturers pick up these aircraft in the near future.  It certainly happened quickly with the Lakenheath 494th jets, for which I also released a print.

Thanks for checking out my site though!  I've got some pretty cool stuff there, I think!

I was as well. BTW, and FWIW, Bob announced that decals of these jets would be forth-coming. And, I will be purchasing Waco's print as well. The 391st is my favorite squadron, and I'm more than willing to support any/all things that come out featuring them. Especially when it features them putting warheads on foreheads! 

Aaron 

Sales link is now live!  Thanks for the compliments, folks!  This one was a lot of fun to draw up. Just like the 494th print.  The direct connection to the guys working and turning these jets in combat, every day, really makes preserving this heritage important.  I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it.

391st OIR Print

Waco-

You say that the print captures one of the most common operational configurations. I see three GBU-38's and an AIM-120...Can you possible tell us what were on the rest of the stations? I'm going to be building a jet from this deployment when the TB decals come out, and would like to make an accurate loadout. 

Thank's, and look for an order from me shortly.

Aaron 

Aaron -

Check out this pic here; it's similar to the print's configuration, except it shows the opposite side of the aircraft:  https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5021612/fortune-favors-bold

In this pic, you can see a (GBU-31v3) was/is carried on the centerline, if you really zoom in and look between the 500 pounders' fins.  I was asked to include that by the squadrons (both 494 and 391), and it is on the print, just hard to see behind the mix of GBU-38s and -54s on the lower CFT stations. 

2x 120s on the left wing is what I was asked to reproduce, hence you can only see one of them.

Edited by Waco

Thank you Waco. Looks like six GBU-38/54's (can't really tell which, and maybe/probably a mix, since there's no GBU-12's on board) three AIM-120's and an AIM-9X with the GBU-31 hidden in the C/L. 

Aaron 

Edited by strikeeagle801
10 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Looks like six GBU-38/54's (can't really tell which, and maybe/probably a mix, since there's no GBU-12's on board)

GBU-38 usually have pointed tip, while the GBU-54 have a bulb-like tip, either cream or black in color. 

The sure fire way to tell the difference between GBU-38s and -54s is the thin metal steps across the bomb body.  -38s do not have these.  -54s have three metal straps; they hold the add-on conduit in place that carries data from the laser seeker (generally the black half dome on the nose) to the tail assembly and guidance kit.  38s May have a black or cream colored half dome fairing on the nose if they are armed with a prox fuse, as per the ones in the DVIDs pic I linked.

4 hours ago, Waco said:

The sure fire way to tell the difference between GBU-38s and -54s is the thin metal steps across the bomb body.  -38s do not have these.  -54s have three metal straps; they hold the add-on conduit in place that carries data from the laser seeker (generally the black half dome on the nose) to the tail assembly and guidance kit.  38s May have a black or cream colored half dome fairing on the nose if they are armed with a prox fuse, as per the ones in the DVIDs pic I linked.

Sorry to continue to stray off-topic, but based on that, I'd say they are GBU-38's then. Even at max zoom, I can't see any bands or conduit. Must've expected clear, unobstructed weather during that time period. Also, the three AIM-120's are interesting to note. Not the first time they have carried this loadout, but does indicate they are wary of an air-to-air threat in the area. For quite a while, they were just carrying one AIM-120 on one shoulder pylon, and a single AIM-9 on the opposite wing. 

Aaron 

I don't consider this off-topic at all.  And I agree, from what you can see of the right side on that pic, those are all GBU-38s. 

Also, to turn this back towards my original "advertisement," I'll be listing individual prints of each of these jets as maquettes this week (11x17"), so if you have a single favorite, but don't want the larger print, you can order one of those.

Thanks for those who've ordered!  Shipping all outstanding orders out tomorrow.