3 hours ago, DDC said:

That's a wonderful daydream, but doesn't work in reality. 

Does that mean cities will need to be walled off to keep ICE vehicles out? Will people living within those boundaries be forced by law to have to buy EVs? Where to start with anything that needs transportation by anything bigger than a SUV?

It's a lovely theory, and for sure a goal worth having, but the logistics of actually making it work arent going to happen quickly. If governments want it to happen, they need to make it worth the while of the people.

It is not a dream, it will happen. Don't believe me, believe in billions of $ pouring into EV plants by Ford, Merc etc after seeing it is possible following Tesla'a example. ICE vehicles will always have niche place obviously. 

You don't need to wall off anyone. There are ample solutions. If you reside or work in metropolitan areas you have to pay a tax to own/use an ICE. What is impossible with this? By the way, even without taxes, people will see the advantages of EVs. They are cheaper to operate and if Tesla keeps delivering with its promise I think this Model 3 can be another Iphone moment. Taxes/benefits are just to encourage people's faster adoption for health/environment benefits. 

Anyhow, we will live and see. I just wished people wont have these attachment to ICE cars. I fail to understand, even as a jet fighter fan, the allure of owning V8 cars as a daily commuting option. Burning oil should end for commuting. 

2 hours ago, Gun_Metal said:

It is not a dream, it will happen. Don't believe me, believe in billions of $ pouring into EV plants by Ford, Merc etc after seeing it is possible following Tesla'a example. ICE vehicles will always have niche...

Yes, I do agree it will happen. I will be suprised if there is a clear cut "no ICEs" limit in our lifetime though. 

More taxing isnt the way. Incentives to buy EVs are. I absolutely believe government corruption is the stranglehold holding back from further mass progress. 

To summise peoples dependency on ICE vehicles as purely attachment is ignoring the fact that not everybody can afford an EV. I'd bet a vast majority of people can't afford to have a shiney new EV in their driveway, otherwise they probably would, provided it was a suitable option for them. 

I agree with the IPhone comparison. Tesla hasn't done anything revolutionary, they just put together existing products into a sleek package, and sell it it to the hip and trendy folk, who value image more than product. This alone is a HUGE reason lots of people star clear of the brand (as well as the price, atrocious quality control, poor dealer network and everything spoken of above)

Dont get me wrong, some form of renewable vehicle will be the future. Complaining about lack of range and chargers and suitability is forgetting that the first ICE vehicles suffered from the same thing. 

The difference is, were people taxed for holding onto their horses, when the newfangled automobiles werent suitable for the job at hand?

Oooh I've missed a good internet debate 😂😂

FWIW, I rather like the idea of an electric car.  But for anything other than running around town here, it's not practical.  Range is one issue (300ish-miles max on the Tesla, according to the company rep I talked with), which is marginal for the normal travel we do.  Then there is the lack of a charging network (not exactly thick on the ground between my house and our usual destination, and located off the normal travel route we take); none locally (within a 50-mile radius that I"m aware of).  Battery life is another concern, and the associated replacement cost when necessary (I tend to keep cars for 10+ years or more), along with how much does the range degrade when one is running the AC in the middle of a DC summer, or, while sitting in DC traffic in the summer?  How much does the residential electric bill go up when one is charging a car at least a couple times a week, vs. how much do I pay in gas?  How much is it to install the charging equipment in my garage?  Not insurmountable challenges, but things that need to be addressed before electric cars can really have an influence.  Currently, they seem to be more of a wealthy novelty rather than a practical alternative for the middle class.

I do like the idea of no oil changes, regenerative braking, and the additional cargo space since there's no engine up front.  

Any EMTs on the list?  If so please share the extensive training you've had to go through to safely deal with hybrid and electric vehicles involved in accidents.

I don't think we need to tax ICE vehicles to get people to buy EVs, once the kings of mass production get started and putting E.Vs into more homes for same price as current vehicles the public will buy them or have not choice. But I do feel they are holding back because of several reasons , but the biggest is the power infrastructure needs to be updated other wise we will be in the dark because of the added demand. Power companies are already working on the solution , I am sure the big auto makers can out produce before updates are completed , like said before give it 20years and we will be able the go the distance on less charges, and there will be a standard recharge stations that can charge any brand. Now if can afford a Tesla model3 the urban commute would be easy even on extreme weather days provided the is no grid  lock. I  only said EV  are not quite there yet . But more competition makes tech advance faster. Tesla and others are small making less than 500,000 units per year where the main manufactures build in the millions per year. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, caiotfjr said:

Hybrid cars like Toyota's Prius and new Corolas, Nissan's Rogue and Volvo's XC60 (among others) do exactly that. But eletric engines are being seen as the future of the car industry, while hybrid cars are mere shortcuts.

The difference being that a hybrid will still be able to run when the power is off. Not too many Tesla's running around out in California when the power has been shut off for days 🤣 Fred K.

In this day and age, where every car is a forgettable homogenous blob to the point where you can't tell one make/model from another, I actually like it.  It reminds me of a P-47 or an A-10:  Big, ugly, different...and I LIKE it for those very reasons!!!!

To say whether it's good or bad looking is purely subjective.  There is no denying, however, that it is different and it has character.

You can see a '57 Chevy or a '32 Ford and, by God, you knew what you were looking at.  This is the first vehicle in a LONG time where you can do that again.

Eric

Edit:  I wonder where the rear view mirrors are.

Edited by echolmberg
6 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Did anyone like the cybertruck?

Apart from glass fail :] I like the idea of a stainless steel 9mm bullet proof truck. In 2 years I will definitely have a test drive 😄

The glass was tested several times before the unveil throwing the same ball with nothing happening to it. There is atleast three different sources that support that. So they were unlucky with it, likely developed micro-fractures during the earlier testing that finally cracked during the unveil.

5 hours ago, f5guy said:

The difference being that a hybrid will still be able to run when the power is off. Not too many Tesla's running around out in California when the power has been shut off for days 🤣 Fred K.

Excellent logic right there. Last i checked electricity is needed to run gas stations too. And unlike electricity, there is only one source for gasoline - dead dinosaurs. Plenty of sunshine in California so given enough solar power, there will be more electric vehicles running if the grid is out for several days than ICE...

1 hour ago, echolmberg said:

Edit:  I wonder where the rear view mirrors are.

Cameras that feed the view to rear view mirror on the inside.

Edited by Berkut
8 hours ago, Berkut said:

Excellent logic right there. Last i checked electricity is needed to run gas stations too. And unlike electricity, there is only one source for gasoline - dead dinosaurs. Plenty of sunshine in California so given enough solar power, there will be more electric vehicles running if the grid is out for several days than ICE...

You're missing the point...... it's always good to have a few options for those times when things don't go as planned. As you said "Given enough solar power" it might work. But there isn't enough solar power to support it. They'd have to cover the entire state in solar panels, and it still would be a drop in the bucket. It's an imperfect technology at this time. Perhaps at some point the technology will catch up with the demand. My point is that with a hybrid, you at least have two options should the other fail. Better logic than you think.....🙄 Fred K.

6 hours ago, f5guy said:

You're missing the point......

My point is that with a hybrid, you at least have two options should the other fail. Better logic than you think.....🙄 Fred K.

Then you have a second chance to make your exact point clearer. You said that there wont be many Tesla's running if the power has been off for days - i said that applies to ICE (including hybrids) too. ICE, or hybrids, need electricity too, just to refine oil into one liter of gasoline you need about 35kWh. How, exactly, am i missing your point? Seems to me you conveniently ignored my counter point because you didnt think of it and it doesn't fit you worldview.

6 hours ago, f5guy said:

it's always good to have a few options for those times when things don't go as planned.

Yes, and as i said electricity have many potential sources, as demonstrated across the world. Gasoline has only one source.

6 hours ago, f5guy said:

As you said "Given enough solar power" it might work. But there isn't enough solar power to support it. They'd have to cover the entire state in solar panels, and it still would be a drop in the bucket. It's an imperfect technology at this time. Perhaps at some point the technology will catch up with the demand.

Yes, just as "given enough gasoline" can power transportation in any given area. With all due respect; you have no idea what you are talking about. If you completely cover California in solar panels, it won't be a drop in the bucket, it will be enough to power the whole US many times over. As in all the electricity consumption, it would require much less than that to power the transport sector. There are many sources that calculate area needed, but here is just one;

https://www.freeingenergy.com/how-much-solar-would-it-take-to-power-the-u-s/

California is 163 000 square miles, so that means covering California in solar would power US 16 times over. Again, all of the electricity needs, not just transport. For example here in Norway we only need about 10TWh to fully electrify our vehicle park (cars, trucks, motorbikes, tractors etc) of ~3,5 million vehicles. Our production (99,9% hydro btw) is ~130TWh/year.

And as to it being "imperfect technology", there is no such thing as "perfect" technology.

Edited by Berkut
18 hours ago, Berkut said:

The glass was tested several times before the unveil throwing the same ball with nothing happening to it. There is atleast three different sources that support that. So they were unlucky with it, likely developed micro-fractures during the earlier testing that finally cracked during the unveil.

Cameras that feed the view to rear view mirror on the inside.

Yeah, evidently they were unlucky with the demo. Well it happens. It reminded me the network crash in one of the apple demos. 

10 hours ago, f5guy said:

You're missing the point...... it's always good to have a few options for those times when things don't go as planned. As you said "Given enough solar power" it might work. But there isn't enough solar power to support it. They'd have to cover the entire state in solar panels, and it still would be a drop in the bucket. It's an imperfect technology at this time. Perhaps at some point the technology will catch up with the demand. My point is that with a hybrid, you at least have two options should the other fail. Better logic than you think.....🙄 Fred K.

dude, please... If you cover whole california with solar panels it will feed 2 worlds' energy demand.