12 hours ago, zerosystem said:

Doesn't do much in winter...

I just got back from Munich.  It was pretty darned cold on a few days and it seemed like half the city was commuting on bikes.  I'm guessing even if it snows, those efficient Germans will have the bike lanes opened in short order.  

On 11/23/2019 at 5:43 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing battery packs for them on wish or ebay

Because?

On 11/23/2019 at 6:04 PM, habu2 said:

1280px-Left_side_of_Flying_Pigeon.jpg

I.... I cant argue with this. Also can confirm, use bike all year long here in Norway. Took a ride today for fun.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Stainless steel body was too attractive to pass. 😐

I remember seeing a DeLorean with personalized plates “SOS PAD” 

and another DeLorean with plates “COKE” 😎

18 hours ago, habu2 said:

I remember seeing a DeLorean with personalized plates “SOS PAD” 

and another DeLorean with plates “COKE” 😎

Is it possible the "COKE" plate was in reference to something totally different than a cleaning method? Just sayin'....it was the 80's afterall.

2 hours ago, niart17 said:

Is it possible the "COKE" plate was in reference to something totally different than a cleaning method? Just sayin'....it was the 80's afterall.

umm, yeah....

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-z-delorean-is-arrested-in-24-million-cocaine-deal

And $24M in 1982 is $64M in 2019....

Just read that a Tesla being driven in automatic mode plowed into a parked CT State Police cruiser.  Thankfully no major injuries.   Operator of the Tesla said he was attending to his dog in the back seat when the accident occurred. 

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Just read that a Tesla being driven in automatic mode plowed into a parked CT State Police cruiser.  Thankfully no major injuries.   Operator of the Tesla said he was attending to his dog in the back seat when the accident occurred. 

Is it still the drivers fault?
And if it is can he sue Tesla for it?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:28 PM, habu2 said:

They got us to the moon.......

Absolutely correct...with continuous monitoring by Mission Control in Houston, except for the period behind the moon in lunar orbit or when slingshoting around on a semi free-return trajectory (ala Apollo 13).  But your point is well taken!  Fuel Cells work...but are they ready for prime time?

Secondly,  my biggest concerns about any electrical vehicle, is the range and 'refueling', as many have written here.  

Third, and while I have not read this entire thread, and this point may have already been extensively discussed, for me, the biggest concern is quality.  While I have read a few articles comparing such things as gaps between panels, and comparing the Teslas to well established car makers, I've read enough about quality issues that a Tesla is a non-starter for me.  Tesla is not an auto maker.  It is a high technology company that wraps that tech with a road going vehicle, and as such, IN MY OPINION, they don't have the long term experience in putting together a quality car or SUV to the extent of a Toyota, Honda, Audi, GM, etc.  Others, I'm sure, will disagree vehemently, but this is the primary reason I will never buy a Tesla.  

Plus, my last point. I do not have confidence that Tesla will exist in 5-10 more years.  Not that that matters, I guess, as long as it lasts long enough to be able to service the vehicle I would have until I get rid of it, but still...a concern.

For the average commuter traveling to work in traffic....an electric car makes good sense.....fuel is much cheaper and there are fewer parts that need fixing.  I have considered getting an electric car for my daily driver....rumors has it that the new Toyota MR2 will be all electric and that would interest me very much.

But for me....I like my ICE cars.  I suspect in 50 years very few people will have any clue how to keep an ICE car running.

2 stroke motorbikes were all the rage in the 60's and 70's.  I saw a 1972 Suzuki GT750 the other day in traffic.  A nice 3 cylinder 2 stroke motorbike.  Long ago it would be pouring out blue smoke from the exhaust but the newer 2 stroke fuel oils now burn cleaner.  I thought it was really cool to see it...I rolled down my window to listen to the unique engine sound.  That motorbike was about 47 years old.  I guess I'm getting old.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, habu2 said:

1280px-Left_side_of_Flying_Pigeon.jpg

Not to be argumentative but the efficiency of the human body is roughly 25% efficient, which while that is still better than most cars @ 20%, if you factor in cost of food and how you would transport that food around....I don't know that human power is very cost effective. Plus, that 25% is one person transporting 1 person, a car at 20% is often 1 car to multiple people. so...

On 4/1/2019 at 3:21 PM, Gun_Metal said:

If you reside or work in metropolitan areas you have to pay a tax to own/use an ICE. What is impossible with this?

I have a problem with government taxing to change behavior. That is not what the government should be in the business of doing. I don't agree with any of the "behavioral taxes" we have now let alone adding more. Way too easy to cause corruption. 

4 hours ago, niart17 said:

I have a problem with government taxing to change behavior. That is not what the government should be in the business of doing. I don't agree with any of the "behavioral taxes" we have now let alone adding more. Way too easy to cause corruption. 

I agree Bill...sadly sin taxes are common in our countries and they are not liked, because they force rapid change.  You only have to look at the price of cigarettes.   There really it no need to tax ICE owners...the fuel costs alone make electric vehicles VERY attractive.  I think you will first see people switching one of the 2 vehicles in each family to an electric and keeping one ICE vehicle for long trips etc.

Of course the amusing part will be if EV's dominate the roads and governments will need to tax them somehow to get road taxes.

6 minutes ago, SBARC said:

I agree Bill...sadly sin taxes are common in our countries and they are not liked, because they force rapid change.  You only have to look at the price of cigarettes.   There really it no need to tax ICE owners...the fuel costs alone make electric vehicles VERY attractive.  I think you will first see people switching one of the 2 vehicles in each family to an electric and keeping one ICE vehicle for long trips etc.

I'm cautiously curious about the future of electric cars. Not because I'm against them or anything. I'm just curious what the real environmental impact of mining and disposing of lithium on such a large scale and how well the grid will be able to keep up with a HUGE increase on it's demands as more and more people start charging their cars. Energy is one of those funny things where in order to get it, you have to give up something in return. The idea of simply "harnessing the power of the sun" sounds good on it's face, but it's still not "free energy" Time will tell if electric cars are successful or not. But it's still pretty early to declare it the way to go.

Humans are denying the one glaring reality...there are too many humans on this planet.

Our technology does not have to improve, ICE vehicles are fine...using plastics are fine although they should all be properly recycled etc. 

Our currently ways of doing things is just fine provided you reduce the number of humans on this planet to less than 1 billion....I would prefer under 500 million.  And I'm not suggesting any sort of evil population reduction.  Simply stop having babies for 1 generation will do the trick.  The population in Japan is dropping quickly, so it is possible.

I think a combination of all, tech improvements (which have been happening in ICE vehicles as well as gasoline production) along with electric tech development etc...As far as population. I think that will equalize on it's own. I don't mean people are going to die and that that's a good thing. I'm just suggesting that eventually innovation will catch up to the extended life expectancy of humans. We've out paced some areas by living much longer than we used to. That's not a bad thing. it's just something that needs to be addressed. People WILL adapt. 

17 hours ago, SBARC said:

Simply stop having babies for 1 generation will do the trick.  The population in Japan is dropping quickly, so it is possible.

Much easier said than done.  Japan, Germany and a few other countries are outliers.    Unless a government enacts draconian policies like China has, third-world countries will continue their unrestricted population growth.  

Just need to extrapolate out another 100 years (or less) and we’ll pretty much be out of land, out of food and out of clean air/water.    At that point, the population issue will solve itself.