ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Look at Chuck's post and you'll see some of the issues . Plastic is probably where the greatest part of petroleums products are used .

Also, a lot of greases and other lubricant go into the wind turbines . ( from what I read )

I have not read what problems all these new systems will cause but I feel certain they will . I don't believe that Henry ford had envisioned what is currently happening .

On 3/21/2019 at 1:28 PM, BaconRaygun said:

1.  You are describing every plug-in hybrid on the market.  FYI this concept has been known and in use for over 100 years.  The first hybrid car, the Lohner-Porsche Electromobile was an electric car with a gasoline powered generator used as a range extender.  It was built between 1900 and 1906. 

2.  The loss is minimal, maybe around 20% at its extreme.   I have taken a Model S on several trips from Long Island to central VT, into -20c temperatures, and it was fine.  Windchill only applies to humans.  The battery (or any object) cant cool below ambient... unless it is soaking wet.  

4.  You're pretty close there.  With Tesla's ever growing supercharger network, the trips you describe are already possible.   You can already take a tesla on a 14 hour trip and only need to stop twice to re-charge.  The second part is highly dependent on governments.   We dont need to depend so heavily on fossil fuels... but if we didnt, lots of powerful wealthy folks would lose money, and we cant have that.  

Your response to 1 I was not describing all plug in hybrids, the diesel-electric generates is power with a diesel and powers the traction motors at the wheel , just like a Tesla, but the is no battery to store the electric charge to be recharged. 

Reply to 2 can your Tesla sit in -20 For a week and recharge properly? Many ICE engines don't start because of to reason poor maintainence tune ups and clean oil and batteries insuffiently maintained. On a long distance trip 20% loss of charge can be significant but reading from owners who live up here and they were have a loss of 40% as we have had 2 solid weeks of -26c. Don't confuse windchill factors for humans with cooling. My ICE with a cast iron block will take about a hour to cool to ambient temp at -20c and an half hour for and aluminum block. Add a strong wind and it cuts that time in half . There is a difference between short term exposure to cold and long term exposure, long term exposure can cause all kinds of problems which affects all aspects on automobiles including electronics. 

3 yes you are right Ev vehicle's are close but not yet  my old diesel 1978 rabbit actually out miles most cars of today,  46hp 68miles per gallon on a 9 gallon tank = 600miles or 2000 kms . Stops would be my limit,  rest time! Newer cars are heavier now because of safety equipment not or old cars , more weight more power required.  We are just staring this leap into the EV give it 20 years and more competition and the EV maybe like smart phones a better one comes out every year .