So for the past week I have been in the Houston area At the Sugarland Regional Airport. One of the local birds decided to meet up with the stab of one of our T-45's resulting in a nasty little hole in the stab. So we were there doing a stab replacement. While there I meet up with a couple of the pilots form the Fort Bend County Sheriff Dept. They invited me over to look at their two OH-58A's that have been modded for their dept. After learning I was a model builder there was a discussion of me building them one. However I had no idea that there were so few models of the 58A or 206 in larger scales. Or in 1/48 for that matter. So is this project dead in the water? any thoughts would be appreciated. Here is the subject matter. I did see the revell kit and would not even try it. It looks terrible to me.

Thanks,

Brandon

636559393013930000.jpg

Edited by Bravosierra001
3 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

The old Revell kit is not that bad.  With a little work, it can turn out quite nicely.  I personally would use it to do the above Sheriff's Office bird.

The windscreen and nose look terrible. I am trying to figure out how I would correct it. I did see a couple of nice builds of that kit. The nose I can re shape. I really have no experience in making clear parts and vacu forming.  So the wind screen would be my major issue.

Edited by Bravosierra001

The old 1/32 Revell Jet Ranger is an old kit and so the detail levels are not high. The nose shape does look a tiny bit off but with some work, it looks like it can be built into a nice scale Kiowa. I'd give this kit a go.

http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/1-utility-helicopters/79-oh-58a-kiowa-italeri.html

I built one as a kid (and really enjoyed building it) until my sister knocked it over and left it in pieces. 👎 I've toyed with the idea of building another one as a RAID OH-58A + with high skids. Some day!

LD.

I've got a couple of the Revell 32nd kits.  You can get high skids from a guy in Europe that makes them for R/C helos in 32nd.  They are 3d printed and look good.  He was also good to deal with (if only I had a link to them!).

If you need any reference shots, let me know.  I have two OH-58A's (upgraded later) that are taken apart, and three OH-58C's in the hangar.  The C's have a different panel, which is the main difference interior-wise.  External, the only differences are antenna locations.

Also, do you have contact info for the Sheriff's Office guys?

2 hours ago, BrittMac said:

I've got a couple of the Revell 32nd kits.  You can get high skids from a guy in Europe that makes them for R/C helos in 32nd.  They are 3d printed and look good.  He was also good to deal with (if only I had a link to them!).

If you need any reference shots, let me know.  I have two OH-58A's (upgraded later) that are taken apart, and three OH-58C's in the hangar.  The C's have a different panel, which is the main difference interior-wise.  External, the only differences are antenna locations.

Yes BrittMac. I was at the airport and was invited over to their hangar. So I have the flight crew, and pilots info, and business cards. They have an upgraded IP , and a computer screen. They are going to get another up grade soon, as well as newer seats. I got about 50 reference photos so I should be good in that department. I even have the measurements of all of the stencils, and badges and such. I even have the contact information for the guy that makes all of the stencils and badges and such. I may contact him and see I can use his  computer files and drawings for making the decals for the build if I decide to tackle it. I have to go back when the weather breaks to brief our test pilot for the FCF flight, and will get more info then.

Brandon

4 hours ago, BrittMac said:

Maybe you are talking about Lupusprimus? If yes, just head over to his Skycrane-thread:

HAJO

Hajo, I am not sure if that is the right person.  But, I did just look it up.  http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/  is where I got it.

Bravo, just let me know if you need any other reference pics.  I may PM you my email if you don't mind linking me up with those guys.  I like having a network of other helo guys.

9 hours ago, BrittMac said:

I am good on references... But need a kit . HINT..... HINT    😎

18 hours ago, Reddog-03 said:

Italeri makes an A model in 1/48th.

Guess you mean made an A model in 1/48th Reddog-03?:coolio: I am anxiously awaiting the re-release of the OH58/ B206 by Italeri, but afaik it hasn't materialized yet...:angry:

But you're right: if I were to build a model OH58A I would prefer the 1/48th Italeri/ Esci over the 1/32 Revell. The Italeri has the correct type windows and has high skid landing gear included.

39 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I've been trying to convince somebody, anybody, to do the OH-58A/C.  No joy.  Go to the FB page and ask.  You never know.

Floyd

Thanks for the input Floyd. It is hard to believe that there are not more options considering the role this aircraft has provided over the years. I guess helos do not get the love that fixed wing gets. It has always amazed me that there is not an A-1G, UH-1B, or Jet Ranger in new tool kits.  If I decide to take on this build I would like to reach out to for additional info for decals and such if that is cool with you. I really like challenges, and am pretty sure I am going to attempt a good detailed build of one of those airframes. 

Thanks,

Brandon 

Edited by Bravosierra001
5 hours ago, GeejeeZ said:

Guess you mean made an A model in 1/48th Reddog-03?:coolio: I am anxiously awaiting the re-release of the OH58/ B206 by Italeri, but afaik it hasn't materialized yet...:angry:

But you're right: if I were to build a model OH58A I would prefer the 1/48th Italeri/ Esci over the 1/32 Revell. The Italeri has the correct type windows and has high skid landing gear included.

I hear ya... but 1/48 is not 1/32/35. I am totally with ya tho… The 1/48 options are far more superior. But who needs an accurate 206/oh-58?? We really need a few more 109's. Hell we all know there is a major gap for 109's. LOL!