1/48 Hobbyboss F-14D VF-101

A friend at work used to work on Tomcats with VF-101 and approached me to build him a model to display on his desk at work. Not being a jet guy,  but helicopters, I reluctantly agreed.

He pretty much said that it doesn't have to be contest quality (though I'll still try).

This is my progress so far. 

20190314_002651

20190314_002717

20190314_002733

That's all for now.  Comments and critiques welcome.

Tim

Wow very nice work Tim. Great painting on that cockpit. I too am a helicopter guy but to be honest modelling is modelling and the skills are transferable to any model. Although having said that I think I would have trouble with autos.

Looking forward to more of this as I too have this kit.

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BTW, nice cockpit work there but I hate to be picky but the "tan" rear-instrument covers are actually black from the factory like the rest of that area, but over time and exposure to the sun & elements they would fade.  So it depends on how weathered you wish to make your bird, factory fresh it would be black.  Just do a google search for F-14a cockpit pics and you'll see a huge variation of fading.  Overtime we would replace them, particularly if they start to tear, wouldn't want that sun to bake the wires and instruments.  The 14's I worked on in VF213 back from 80-82 were in relatively good shape, still mostly black but starting to fade, and these were 5yr old birds. 

d.jpg

b.jpg