F-35 Current Paint

Based on the appearance in this photo, am I safe in the assumption that 1:1 F-35s are now painted overall in one gray (no more light grey tape on all the raised seam areas), with the exception of the leading and trailing edges of the horizontal stabs?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Lockheed-Martin-F-35A-Lightning-II/5427525/L

Yes, the RAM (raised areas) on the fuselage are now  FS36170 Have Glass Gray, but you still need to paint certains areas FS36270 Neutral Gray. The FS36270 areas are the radome, canopy frame, area around intakes, tail areas, trailing edges of horizontal flight controls; basically the areas the image that are lighter.

AT4.jpg

Edited by weirich1
  • 3 years later...
On 3/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, weirich1 said:

Yes, the RAM (raised areas) on the fuselage are now  FS36170 Have Glass Gray, but you still need to paint certains areas FS36270 Neutral Gray. The FS36270 areas are the radome, canopy frame, area around intakes, tail areas, trailing edges of horizontal flight controls; basically the areas the image that are lighter.

AT4.jpg

Do the 36270 areas have the metallic sheen as well?

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

I had found an article from Lockheed Martin website a few years ago announcing the Z13 Overcoat which if you are familiar with it is a one color overall uniform coat.

It is an option in the new Tamiya 1/48 F-35A kit.  Modelers are still trying to figure out the actual color(s) to use.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

On 1/10/2023 at 4:15 PM, Bo105flyer said:

I had found an article from Lockheed Martin website a few years ago announcing the Z13 Overcoat which if you are familiar with it is a one color overall uniform coat.

It is an option in the new Tamiya 1/48 F-35A kit.  Modelers are still trying to figure out the actual color(s) to use.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

I'm building one now, and using the Tamiya LP paints and mixes called out in the instructions and they look spot on, particularly the mix for the exhaust. In photos it appears like a "tannish" powder coat...I tried a few different paints, none looked the part...that's when I decided to order up the LP and go with it.
Photo attached shows how it looks at the moment. I'm not going to mess with any "Have Glass" flat coats (they all seem too "speckled"), the paint itself has a bit of a sheen to it that looks right. I'm building it OOB as a review so I'll use the Tamiya decals on the various panels as applicable to the scheme (Royal Norwegian Air Force).

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

Edited by 82Whitey51