ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
lavony

P-40 navigation lights?

Hello

there are clear parts in the wings & the vertical stabilizer of the P-40 .

are those navigation/position lights?

what colors should I paint them?

thanks

yossi

Those would be navigation lights.  Standard arrangement on aircraft is left wing - red light, right wing - blue/green light, tail would be a clear or white light.

hth

Geoff M

See this also .

The best info I was able to find was from P-40 Warhawk in Detail Part 1 by Bert Kinzy, and it isn't very definite. He says: "On some P-40Bs and most P-40Cs, a blue position light was located on each side of the center fuselage. However this feature was not on all aircraft. These lights became standard on later P-40 variants." If you can't find a picture of Older's aircraft that shows it one way or another I would say take your best guess. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2019 at 2:45 AM, Chris L said:

See this also .

The best info I was able to find was from P-40 Warhawk in Detail Part 1 by Bert Kinzy, and it isn't very definite. He says: "On some P-40Bs and most P-40Cs, a blue position light was located on each side of the center fuselage. However this feature was not on all aircraft. These lights became standard on later P-40 variants." If you can't find a picture of Older's aircraft that shows it one way or another I would say take your best guess. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

these are formation lights.

Position or navigation lights are as Geoff said.

The clear, or white lens of tail lights, could be replaced by narrow  beam lens, red or green on both side as required.(recognition air to air)

Edited by Sowar