UPWiND - new metal landing gear sets

A new (to us) interesting brand that manufactures metal landing gear sets, is now available for Pre-Order at the48ers.com:

GqSP0Gw.jpg

KL5JoyW.jpg

B84ozVZ.jpg

J'S Work painting camouflage masks as well as Spanish theme decals from Series Espanola are available for Pre-Order at 15%

Also, the MK i Aero by KA Models product line is currently at 10% off (here)!

Thanks

Edited by Ilias

I suppose substantial depends on the specific aircraft.

11bee asks the right question. SAC uses a fairly ductile material that does actually suffer creep (permanent bending) in a model. 

I think we really need a set of landing gears for the ICM 1:48 mig-25.  The current one is too weak, makes the model sit too high, and it has a conical shape at the end that makes it hard to attach the wheels without rework.

Edited by Jeffrey
1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

SAC just uses regular ol' pewter correct? 

No idea but their stuff is renowned for having no strength and being nothing more than a direct copy of the kit part, claims of being “highly detailed” not withstanding.   

9 hours ago, boom175 said:

I think Pewter is a lot more stiff than the crap that SAC uses. I think that's just pot metal with a lot of lead in it.But I am no metallurgist! 

My dad used to have a set of pewter mugs (beer :cheers:). Pretty resilient metal. A lot stiffer than whatever SAC uses.

You would think so but a lot of the old (and new maybe? I dunno) fantasy miniatures we're made from pewter. My uncle is a big D&D guy and I remember being able to bend parts of the figurines when I would find and play with them as a kid. Not a lot of force used doing that too. 

Honestly it's all a moot point cause SAC's products are garbage anyway.

3 hours ago, Ilias said:

Just got to know from the manufacturer that the material is of low lead (Pb) levels to make the landing gear less prone to bend and deform.

That's interesting. Most Pewter these days is made without lead at all, being an alloy of Tin, Copper and Antimony. From the Wikipedia entry: "Pewter (/ˈpjuːtər/) is a malleable metal alloy. It is traditionally composed of 85–99% tin, mixed with copper, antimony, bismuth, and sometimes silver or lead, although the use of lead is less common today. Copper and antimony act as hardeners while lead is more common in the lower grades of pewter, which have a bluish tint." I would think that lead would make the alloy softer, but I'm not a metallurgist and the synergistic effects of alloys is not something I have intimate knowledge of. (Edit: did more reading and , in fact, Lead is used as a hardening agent. From "The Pewter Society" website: " Pewter is an alloy composed primarily of tin with varying quantities of hardening agents such as antimony, bismuth, copper and lead. ").

I took a look at many of the sets on Facebook. I noticed that, at least on some, they are not simply copies of the kit gear. Specifically, I noticed that the nose gear for the Tamiya F-14A has better detail in the hinge points for the catapult tow bar and the long strut that attaches to the rear of the gear. They are fully hollowed out and look very good. Here's a couple of their pics that illustrate what I trying (poorly) to describe:

47680070_372976733438272_2926997053760339968_n.jpg.6536dffbb068ff56c5a2d2d4c70fe608.jpg

48362584_372976683438277_4760173019354103808_n.jpg.a95782dd121fd71b4c4530735abf09f9.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, Whiskey said:

SAC just uses regular ol' pewter correct? 

No its not correct.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:42 AM, Mstor said:

That's interesting. Most Pewter these days is made without lead at all, being an alloy of Tin, Copper and Antimony. From the Wikipedia entry: "Pewter (/ˈpjuːtər/) is a malleable metal alloy. It is traditionally composed of 85–99% tin, mixed with copper, antimony, bismuth, and sometimes silver or lead, although the use of lead is less common today. Copper and antimony act as hardeners while lead is more common in the lower grades of pewter, which have a bluish tint." I would think that lead would make the alloy softer, but I'm not a metallurgist and the synergistic effects of alloys is not something I have intimate knowledge of. (Edit: did more reading and , in fact, Lead is used as a hardening agent. From "The Pewter Society" website: " Pewter is an alloy composed primarily of tin with varying quantities of hardening agents such as antimony, bismuth, copper and lead. ").

You might find the wiki page on white metal more interesting, as it is that which is used not Pewter.

And before you return having read it I will say all dogs are animals but not all animals are dogs.

On 18 March 2019 at 1:45 PM, Jeffrey said:

I think we really need a set of landing gears for the ICM 1:48 mig-25.  The current one is too weak, makes the model sit too high, and it has a conical shape at the end that makes it hard to attach the wheels without rework.

Aerocraft have them in the works. Their brass-bronze legs are simply great.

The images at the top of this page look suspiciously like SAC cr@p, especially as the link takes you that awful stuff.

Tony 

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

No its not correct.

You might find the wiki page on white metal more interesting, as it is that which is used not Pewter.

And before you return having read it I will say all dogs are animals but not all animals are dogs.

Thanks, so Pewter can be a white metal but not all white metals are Pewter. Plus, white metals CAN contain lead.

So, what the heck is used by SAC and Upwind, and do they contain lead?