UPWiND - new metal landing gear sets

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks, so Pewter can be a white metal but not all white metals are Pewter. Plus, white metals CAN contain lead.

So, what the heck is used by SAC and Upwind, and do they contain lead?

I wouldnt like to say in all honesty. I have made hundreds and even thousands on metal models over the years but the white metal SAC use is......
I mean its all right for casting metal, its something Ive done myself but SAC sell them at such a price you would expect more... A lot more than waht they are. 

I would say its not high grade white metal as you would find on some of the better models because its not very high on the hardness scale.

I cant remember seeing a "contains lead" warning on the labels.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 1:46 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

I wouldnt like to say in all honesty. I have made hundreds and even thousands on metal models over the years but the white metal SAC use is......
I mean its all right for casting metal, its something Ive done myself but SAC sell them at such a price you would expect more... A lot more than waht they are. 

I would say its not high grade white metal as you would find on some of the better models because its not very high on the hardness scale.

I cant remember seeing a "contains lead" warning on the labels.

On my MiG -17 SAC gears, they collapsed completely. Dai  

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Doesnt surprise me in the least.

Of all the after market upgrade parts Ive ever bought they are the only ones I would highly recommend people dont bother with

My first reaction when I saw the parts was : WTH is this? 

Edited by dai phan
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I compared the Upwind and SAC 1/48 F104 (Hasegawa) gears and they are identical. No improvements at all over each other or the kit part. The metal on the UW is much softer than the SAC. Don't waste your money on this gear. Dai 

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, 11bee said:

No idea but their stuff is renowned for having no strength and being nothing more than a direct copy of the kit part, claims of being “highly detailed” not withstanding.   

that's probably from their molding process alone. Molding die cast metal means temps of the mold and molten metal are critical. True quality molds are water glycol heated and cooled to keep the mold in a +/- 15 degree window, and even then that window is too wide. 

What we really need is powdered metal injection molding. You mold the parts in a press, and literally bake it for about fifteen minutes (on a small part like landing gear). Parts are very clean and can be very detailed. Almost zero shrinkage I might add.

gary