Best early early Hornet in 1/48th

You’ll get a debate. I can’t write a treatise on all the details, shape, accuracy, etc, but it’ll come down to Hasegawa vs Kinetic.

In brief, the Kinetic is more detailed, but a bit finicky with fit and assembly. It also has a couple shape issues, but these may be fixed. The one I recall was the top of the vertical stabilizers needed to be more rounded and I think this was retooled on later boxing’s.

The Hasegawa is a bit more straightforward assembly, but not as detailed. It’s missing things like full intake trunks, etc. 

If I rememver correctly, both have the same assembly pattern for the rear fuselage (seem in the middle of a flat surface) which is the thing that drives me the craziest about building Hornets. 

Its been yesrs, or even decades, since I’ve had a Hasegawa Hornet. I’ve gone the Kinetic route. I like having the details OOB and the fit/assembly isn’t anything over the top to work with. Primarily an issue around the nose and careful fitting and small adjustments yields pretty good fit. You just have to take your time. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

I have both the Kinetic and Hasegawa Hornets in progress at the moment. Each kit has pros and cons, and all things considered, one isn't really better than the other. As mentioned above, the Kinetic is better detailed than Hasegawa. However, the Hasegawa kit is a bit easier to build overall. One of the big issues with the Kinetic kits are the instructions.

58 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I have both the Kinetic and Hasegawa Hornets in progress at the moment. Each kit has pros and cons, and all things considered, one isn't really better than the other. As mentioned above, the Kinetic is better detailed than Hasegawa. However, the Hasegawa kit is a bit easier to build overall. One of the big issues with the Kinetic kits are the instructions.

That's interesting. I found the Kinetic Hornet to be much easier to build than the Hasegawa Hornet. I have a Hasegawa in progress that I'll finish, but that will probably be the last one I build.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

That's interesting. I found the Kinetic Hornet to be much easier to build than the Hasegawa Hornet. I have a Hasegawa in progress that I'll finish, but that will probably be the last one I build.

Hasegawa's fit issues are the fuselage sides to bottom and around the intakes. Kinetic's fit issues are the nose and front windscreen area. For me it's a wash as the same amount of care and dryfitting are needed on both kits to get their respective problems sorted out. I did find a way to get the nose and windscreen area of the Kinetic to fit almost perfectly. However, I'm going to make sure it works on a second kit before I write up a quick "how to". 

18 minutes ago, Collin said:

That “how to” would be very helpful...both for this kit and the Kinetic EA-6B. 

Cheers

Collin

Believe me, I'll have that stupid EA-6B down to a science here within the next few weeks! Learned a lot during the build of the 5 and have been making notes throughout the current builds of the next 9. Like I said though, want to try what I did on the first Hornet again to make sure it works completely before sharing. Need to take better pictures as well.

Dave, whatever tips and/or help you can offer those of that haven't yet begun those kits, would be very much appreciated! I would even consider purchasing an instructional CD with said info. Thanks again,

Rick

1 hour ago, madmanrick said:

Dave, whatever tips and/or help you can offer those of that haven't yet begun those kits, would be very much appreciated! I would even consider purchasing an instructional CD with said info. Thanks again,

Rick

That's very much appreciated, but I'm not interested in making money off of that. Once I'm certain everything works, I'll be happy to share my notes.

There is a revised set of instructions for the Kinetic Hornet you can download IIRC from Luckys website.

It moght cure some of the construction issues.

i think the scalemates link beloe has a pdf of the current sequence.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48031-f-a-18c-hornet--956117

Edited by dehowie
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, serendip said:

Good day all,

I need some advice on who does the best original (round intakes) Hornet in 48th?

Thanks all for helping out.

So what's the consensus? Kinetic or Hasagawa? I have a ton of Monovells…..love em. Basic yes...bet you can't beat the price. I want to move up though....

7 hours ago, pminer said:

So what's the consensus? Kinetic or Hasagawa? I have a ton of Monovells…..love em. Basic yes...bet you can't beat the price. I want to move up though....

We just talked about it above. Both have their pros and cons and you won't go wrong with either choice.

Dave,

Are you doing those 25 Prowlers? I have one Kinetic Prowler which I keep delaying with a lovely Aires cockpit set. Are you also doing some with said Aires addition?

I'm curious as to how the fit is of the kit and the Aires set. Sorry, off (my own) topic however.

Marc.

Between the Kinetic and Hasegawa 1/48 F-18C, I chose Hasegawa for my next build. I gathered quite a bit of ordnance for it in AM though.

I have built Hase's in the past and the tricky points have been mentioned above. I did come up with a solution to it as seen here by deviating from the instructions (install the engine housing to the bottom fuselage first) and placing a spreader for the lower half: 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/258352-148-hasegawa-f-18c-30th-anniversary/&do=findComment&comment=2450154

I don't have the Kinetic, but from what I can tell looking at Doog's video review, it is a little fiddly (9-10 episodes in total I think, but worth watching):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFFZcTdRv-w

Kinetic's weapons are great though. So if you want an OOB loaded model without AM or going with your spares box, Kinetic is the way to go. 

On 3/19/2019 at 5:55 AM, Dave Roof said:

Believe me, I'll have that stupid EA-6B down to a science here within the next few weeks! Learned a lot during the build of the 5 and have been making notes throughout the current builds of the next 9. Like I said though, want to try what I did on the first Hornet again to make sure it works completely before sharing. Need to take better pictures as well.

You are building *14* A-6? For fun or for work?  :) 

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 6:15 PM, Dave Roof said:

Hasegawa's fit issues are the fuselage sides to bottom and around the intakes. Kinetic's fit issues are the nose and front windscreen area. For me it's a wash as the same amount of care and dryfitting are needed on both kits to get their respective problems sorted out. I did find a way to get the nose and windscreen area of the Kinetic to fit almost perfectly. However, I'm going to make sure it works on a second kit before I write up a quick "how to". 

Hi Dave,

Any progress on the instruction for plastic surgery on the Kinetic nose?

Thanks,

Marc.

I've got the Kinetic F-18C in now. Plastic looks pretty good, plenty of ordnance (some of which looks a little long in the tooth).

I'm planning on building it in the old grey on white colours. Can anyone suggest decal sets in colourful schemes for a white on grey Hornet?

Thanks all.

4 hours ago, serendip said:

I've got the Kinetic F-18C in now. Plastic looks pretty good, plenty of ordnance (some of which looks a little long in the tooth).

I'm planning on building it in the old grey on white colours. Can anyone suggest decal sets in colourful schemes for a white on grey Hornet?

Thanks all.

Hi,

Do you mean a hornet in the Light Gull Grey over White scheme?

I don't think there ever was one. The protoypes and development aircraft had varying white and high viz areas, but the greys were always from the TPS variety.

Cheers, Stefan.

7 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi Dave,

Any progress on the instruction for plastic surgery on the Kinetic nose?

Thanks,

Marc.

Marc,

I've been so busy with drawing the placement guides for a new decal sheet, I completely forgot about this. I'll have some time this coming week to get it posted though.

2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Do you mean a hornet in the Light Gull Grey over White scheme?

I don't think there ever was one. The protoypes and development aircraft had varying white and high viz areas, but the greys were always from the TPS variety.

Cheers, Stefan.

I do indeed Stefan. I may have been a bit lazy though and assumed the C variant also wore grey / white. I guess what you're saying is that the grey / white was applicable for the A only (?)

Thanks so much.

26 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Marc,

I've been so busy with drawing the placement guides for a new decal sheet, I completely forgot about this. I'll have some time this coming week to get it posted though.

Dave,

Take it easy. Any time is fine - glad someone's making the effort.

Cheers,

Marc.

P.S. How are those Prowlers going?

1 hour ago, serendip said:

I do indeed Stefan. I may have been a bit lazy though and assumed the C variant also wore grey / white. I guess what you're saying is that the grey / white was applicable for the A only (?)

Thanks so much.

Hi,

No, I don't think a single operational Hornet started out in LGG over White.

Cheers, Stefan.