Best early early Hornet in 1/48th

I will say this: If you do a Hasegawa Hornet with full length intake trunks, its almost impossible to use resin landing gear bays. The trunks dont fit over the “top” of the gear bay casting. Unless you go paper thin on both. 

2 hours ago, serendip said:

Thanks all,

If anyone can still help out with advice on some colorful decal sheets that would be much appreciated.

Wow, where to start? Over the years there have been many very colorful "early" F-18s. My favorites are the Canadian Anniversary schemes. Leading Edge decals has done most of these schemes over the years. One or two are available on the Leading Edge website but most are out of production. They do show up on eBay pretty often and I've seen some here on ARC for sale from time to time. Hasegawa has done one or two of the Canadian Anniversary schemes as separate releases of their kits, but the colors are usually way off.

Then there are the US Navy  Adversary jets. They have some attractive paint jobs. Two Bobs has one or two sets out with Adversary jets. I think Fightertown did some but they are out of production and hard to find and usually going for very high prices. Then there are probably some old Microscale and Superscale sets out there of varying quality.

Finally there are dozens and dozens of CAG birds with all sorts of colorful schemes. I would check Furball Aero Design, Two Bobs, Syhart Decals and Micro/Superscale.

Do some searches on eBay. There is really quite a lot out there. You just need to start looking. If you see a photo of an aircraft you like, check back here and ask if anyone knows if decals have been done. Someone will usually have the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:45 PM, Mstor said:

Wow, where to start? Over the years there have been many very colorful "early" F-18s. My favorites are the Canadian Anniversary schemes. Leading Edge decals has done most of these schemes over the years. One or two are available on the Leading Edge website but most are out of production. They do show up on eBay pretty often and I've seen some here on ARC for sale from time to time. Hasegawa has done one or two of the Canadian Anniversary schemes as separate releases of their kits, but the colors are usually way off.

Then there are the US Navy  Adversary jets. They have some attractive paint jobs. Two Bobs has one or two sets out with Adversary jets. I think Fightertown did some but they are out of production and hard to find and usually going for very high prices. Then there are probably some old Microscale and Superscale sets out there of varying quality.

Finally there are dozens and dozens of CAG birds with all sorts of colorful schemes. I would check Furball Aero Design, Two Bobs, Syhart Decals and Micro/Superscale.

Do some searches on eBay. There is really quite a lot out there. You just need to start looking. If you see a photo of an aircraft you like, check back here and ask if anyone knows if decals have been done. Someone will usually have the answer.

Thanks for all that info Mstor.

Marc.