F-89J Scorpion "Pod"

Hello all,

I'm researching about the F-89J Scorpion, particularly from the North Dakota ANG. I've come by a picture (shown below) and my attention went to a pod, hung on the Genie pylon. The posing crew is obscuring the view a bit but therefor I'd like to ask for your expertise to identify the pod.

Here's the picture, linked from Wikimedia, belonging to the U.S. Air Force

North_Dakota_ANG_pilots_with_F-89J_1960s

The pod had a black tip with the number 55 on it. just next to the crew's arm there are a circular line of bolts or static ports or something like that.

Thanks for your input! Greetings

Think late in their careers the F-89s were painted in ADC grey.  I remember when I was stationed @ Eglin in the early 80s there were a few parked on the far side of the runway @ Duke Fld and they were all painted ADC grey.  Being an SP I had access to this side of the air field as I patrolled the base so got to take a close look at them.  As for the orange flight suits, spit shined boots and the spiffy paint job and neat appearance of the a/c, it makes me wonder if it participated in something like a William Tell or similar type competition.

Edited by afspret

Nice picture Madmanrick! However indeed still no explanation where it was used for. Now the pic also shows a number of handles on the front and aft end,  which i only have seen with travelpods... to bad as i hoped it was something operationaly linked to the genie missiles.

Thanks for all the input!

Well, upon reflection I have to say I am no longer convinced that this is an ordinary baggage pod. Most baggage pods I've seen are just functional items and not normally very well taken care of. However, not only are both the pods in these pics well taken care of, they are painted and marked in very similar ways. So I can't offer another opinion as to what it actually is, but I find the mystery very interesting.

8 hours ago, herbarnold99 said:

Seems like radome-type material on both nose and tail fairings, which would suggest "something" would be transmitting through them...

I second this.  It has a very purpose built look to it. 

Rick L.

The MSR was a lot thinner than the one in the first post and didn’t have radomes on it. It could be the early version of the MSR, the drawing above is for the F-106, we had a similar one for the Voodoo.

Jari

5 hours ago, herbarnold99 said:

I think you're right, and am bringing those points up with my 'expert'...!

Your 'expert'? 🙂

This theory of being operational equipment (rather than a streamlined suitcase) makes it a bit more interesting. I tend to search for some interesting loadouts for my kits as the double genie is somehow quite 'cliché'

Curious where this thread goes from here!

• 10 months later...

Friends, the pod shown in the two F-89J photos shown above is, I believe, the Northrop "Multi-Pass MB-1 Rocket Mission Evaluator", used to train pilots in MB-1 delivery techniques.  The pod held (mostly) timers to gauge when and in what sequence the pilot would do specific things related to setting up and launching an MB-1. 

The very interesting drawing represents some other, longer (and/or narrower?) pod than the Northrop one shown in the photos.  The Northrop pod is 17.5" in diameter, the same as the MB-1.

All best!  Steve