The only accuracy issue with their F/A-18 kit was the vertical tails in the initial F/A-18C release. These have since been corrected and included in all subsequent boxings. They were also added to that first F/A-18C release, but there is no indicator as to which kits got them. Of course, any kits already in the supply chain prior to the new parts being added won't have them.

Several months ago I ordered two through Spruebrothers and both kits had the updated tails. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 1:58 PM, Emvar said:

The nice thing is the F/A-18/ CF-188 boxing and the specific F/A-18C boxing all come with weapons. The kits with special markings do not have weapons included.

Just to tag onto Emil's post.  If you were to buy the F/A-18A/B/CF-188A/B kit, you can pretty much build an A through D Hornet, with everything in the box.  Kit has the standard US main gear, Canadian standard main gear, both A/C tails, and it even has the ATARS nose.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m looking more closely at this kit.  I thoroughly enjoyed building my first Hasegawa hornet and am considering giving this Kinetic kit a try. Thanks for the tips. 

11 hours ago, jester292 said:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m looking more closely at this kit.  I thoroughly enjoyed building my first Hasegawa hornet and am considering giving this Kinetic kit a try. Thanks for the tips. 

I still have Hasegawa bugs in my stash and will not let them go. 

I've just recently completed the Kinetic F/A-18C kit, not sure if it was one with the corrected tails or not. Parts of the build werent bad, other issues, such as the nose and the fit of the front windscreen left a lot to be desired. I've just picked up a Hasegawa EA-18G kit, hoping the kit is better.

4 hours ago, jelliott523 said:

I've just recently completed the Kinetic F/A-18C kit, not sure if it was one with the corrected tails or not. Parts of the build werent bad, other issues, such as the nose and the fit of the front windscreen left a lot to be desired. I've just picked up a Hasegawa EA-18G kit, hoping the kit is better.

Other than the nose, how was it? Generally easy? Decals usable? 

Hasegawa’s 1:48 Hornets are excellent. Haven’t built the G, but built the C (backdated to an A), E, and have an F in the near future lineup. 

9 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Kinetic decals are printed by Cartograf and artwork is done by reputable decal companies 👍🏻

Brilliant. Seems that decals included in kits are getting higher and higher quality. 

Still think your Fightertown sheet is the best!

17 hours ago, jester292 said:

Other than the nose, how was it? Generally easy? Decals usable? 

Generally, it wasnt too bad. The only other area where I had a little bit of clean-up to do was around the intakes, nothing nearly as traumatic as a Revell kit although. The seams are pretty decently designed along panel lines in most cases. Fit of the engine intake trunking doesnt leave much room for error. The fit tolerances are pretty tight so dry fitting of parts is a good idea, as with most of the newer kits coming out.

The decals are great, all were appear to be in register and the colors are very crisp. Even the small stencil decals can be read.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:30 AM, Colin K said:

Just to tag onto Emil's post.  If you were to buy the F/A-18A/B/CF-188A/B kit, you can pretty much build an A through D Hornet, with everything in the box.  Kit has the standard US main gear, Canadian standard main gear, both A/C tails, and it even has the ATARS nose.

It has everything except the correct cockpit for the D. Like Hasegawa, all of the Kinetic Hornets only include B cockpits.

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

It has everything except the correct cockpit for the D. Like Hasegawa, all of the Kinetic Hornets only include B cockpits.

I know the rear IP shroud is incorrect, but wouldn't the rear IP be correct for an F/A-18D, that was not set up as a Marine AW jet?

Edited by Colin K
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, jester292 said:

So the C/D comes with the correct cockpit but the uncorrected vertical stabilizers?

The only Kinetic Hornet with the tail issue was the very first boxing of the C ie the launch kit.

They where corrected after that first release.

PS the Hasegawa Super Hornets are better ie quality than the original classic F-18.

• 3 years later...
On 3/20/2019 at 6:45 PM, Dave Roof said:

The only accuracy issue with their F/A-18 kit was the vertical tails in the initial F/A-18C release. These have since been corrected and included in all subsequent boxings. They were also added to that first F/A-18C release, but there is no indicator as to which kits got them. Of course, any kits already in the supply chain prior to the new parts being added won't have them.

Several months ago I ordered two through Spruebrothers and both kits had the updated tails. 

What are the distinguishing features of the corrected -C vertical tails compared to the initial release?

Thanks! Pip

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2019 at 2:32 AM, Dave Roof said:

I also seem to be missing the blisters directly under the leading edge of the LEX's - can anyone confirm Kinetic did indeed forget those (and any ideas on how to add these would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

22 hours ago, serendip said:

I also seem to be missing the blisters directly under the leading edge of the LEX's - can anyone confirm Kinetic did indeed forget those (and any ideas on how to add these would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

i don't think i've seen them shown in the instructions for any of the boxings that i've built, but they do include them. they're somewhere on the E-runner iirc. 

1 hour ago, annie.shikinami said:

i don't think i've seen them shown in the instructions for any of the boxings that i've built, but they do include them. they're somewhere on the E-runner iirc. 

Thanks,

They do have various blisters on the E-sprue but these seem to be for a number of options just above the slime lights, not under the LEX's.

Not the most important thing in the world but as you say I wouldn't be surprised if they're hidden on the E sprue somewhere and I'm missing them partly due to the instructions (shall we say) being sub-optimal. But I suspect they are just not there.

Thanks,

Marc.

6 minutes ago, serendip said:

Thanks,

They do have various blisters on the E-sprue but these seem to be for a number of options just above the slime lights, not under the LEX's.

Not the most important thing in the world but as you say I wouldn't be surprised if they're hidden on the E sprue somewhere and I'm missing them partly due to the instructions (shall we say) being sub-optimal. But I suspect they are just not there.

Thanks,

Marc.

Just to be clear, it's these that you're talking about right?

5MXDONn.jpg

O7ciGFV.jpg

The ones just behind where the nose of the kit joins the fuselage? (It's a little harder to spot it in the second pic but it's there.)

I guess it's possible that those parts are meant for something else and i've been using them wrong, but if so they still look the part! haha

EDIT: just looked at the pictures of the sprues and found the parts: E23 and E29. cant remember which one goes on which side though, they're slightly different. 

Edited by annie.shikinami