Well, I think it's about time to get started on another build for this GB. This isn't something I'd planned on doing but since I bought the new FDM 3D printer I'd been trying to find things to run it through the paces. One of the things I found on Thingiverse was a really good figure bust sculpt of Neil Armstrong. So I'm going to take a step back in time from my Apollo 12 stuff and do a figure painting on this 3d printed model. Please keep in mind that I am NOT a figure modeler so keep expectations low. But it will be a fun break and sharpen my skills hopefully.

I was really impressed with the highest resolution setting on the Creality Ender3 and I think with just a little work I can get most of the print lines pretty smooth. On the space suit it really doesn't matter because it actually resembles the text of the suit really well. But for the face, I think something will still need to be done despite how smooth this print came out. Here is the state it is in after removing the supports. The bust is approximately 6" tall or so. A really good job by the modeler. I'll have to go back and find his name and post a link so you guys can see his work and maybe support him.

ARMSTRONG.jpg

Edited by niart17

Oh-h-h ... this'll be interesting.

I don't think you should be concerned with the suit's texture ... just don't paint it Glossy and it'll look pretty good.

One more suggestion, the Whites of Neil's eyes ... don't paint 'em White. When I see a figure done with White eyes ... it looks pretty odd.

But, this is just a suggestion ...

Pete

Thanks guys. Apolloman, the printer actually only set me back $220 WITH a roll of filament. Pretty reasonable price and gets what I want for most models. It's not as good a resolution as my smaller resin printer but I couldn't get anything this big on that one.

Yeah Pete, I primed the suit white and the texture actually worked out just about perfect. Has a nice luminescence look without being glossy. Looks like beta cloth to me. and I agree, eye whites are another tricky thing to look right. I'm using a slightly bluish white with pink in the corners. Hopefully I can get it looking somewhat human-esque.

Bill

Bill 

• 1 month later...

I was able to get a little head way (pardon the pun) with this one as well. There are still a few little print flaws here and there but overall happy with it. I think I'm somewhat happy with the skin tones, but I se from the pic I need to touch-up the eye surround area on his left eye and the hair is still just simply a base coat color with no shading or highlighting done yet. Hair to me is one of the hardest things to make look halfway real. I am going to print out a name patch, flag and mission patch, I just haven't had the chance yet to work on it. I'll likely add a little shading on the suit, but really it doesn't need as much as if it were a smooth resin texture. the print lines actually help achieve a pretty convincing fabric look.

hmmm...the image isn't showing for me, can you guys see it? it says it's there but I don't see it.

1565802595_NeilPaint.jpg.ce5d085cb06e4f83a5c5add4c5737bdd.jpg

Edited by niart17

Very nice work.  Figures always intimidate me, and the bigger the figure the higher the intimidation level.  Neil is looking pretty good.  Keep it up.

BTW, I see the image just fine.

My goodness, the likeness is excellent! The suit looks fantastic! The skin tones look darn close!

Don't rush this Bill. The overall Portrait is difficult, and the hair is the toughest part for anybody. As long as this is the base coat, you're on the right path!

But if I may offer one bit of advice, start with light washes and build up to the darker colours and leave the highlights till the end. Don't paint every single hair. 

Are you using Model paint or Acrylic Artist paint for the bust? And it sure looks like you've got a helluva lotta paint on the shelf behind Neil ... wow!

Keep it up young fella!   :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Apollo, I haven't considered selling any prints of this, it's not my design or anything. It's a free file posted on Thingiverse. I believe their policy would maybe allow me to sell prints but I'd feel wrong for doing that. I might would consider printing for the cost of material and shipping if one were that interested in it.

Yeah, Pete, I'm trying not to rush it or anything. Just tackle areas when I feel the desire to see what I can do and if I'm not feeling it I stop. As for the paint, the model was first sprayed with a rattle can of Dulpicolor white sandable primer. Then the face was roughy spot painted with various mixes of Vallejo flesh color acrylics to get a general idea of skin tones and a black brown mix for his hair. Once all that dried I painted the eyes with Vallejo white/pink/blue mix and detailed with blue and white with a little dark red/black for around to accent the lid lines. (still need to touch-up some of that) Then for the finish skin tones I used artists oils (I think Grumbacher if I recall) burnt umber, burnt sienna and white  followed with areas of pink and some areas of blue lightly blended. It's actually a more tanned skin than Neil seems to have had in pics but when I tried to stay as pale as his skin was it just didn't come across very well. So I sent him to the beach a little before launch and he's sporting a nice tan. :woot.gif:

the white of the space suit is just the same primer untouched so far. The blue ring and fittings are Vallejo blue/gun metal blue with penciled edges (that don't show up well in this pic) It's also hard to see but there is a thin light blue strip of fabric just inside the metal collar that adds a little variation. I'll tackle his shirt and patches next I think.

Thanks for checking in and commenting.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I can understand mate. We are a few of the only people who make these models anymore, keeping Apollo alive. Once I complete my stash 😂🤣, nd we see how yours finishes up, as it's looking great so far. I might send ya a PM.

Mick

thanks guys. I'd hardly say DaVinci. Perhaps a sloopy Bob Ross when it comes to painting. :woot.gif:

Touched up the eyes a bit, think I'm liking them a little better. Also put a light highlight/shadow pass on the hair. Still have to print out the patches but it's getting there.

226169286_Neilsmall2.jpg.d2bfc353c3ad3989814f48867b667198.jpg

Edited by niart17

Bill, I'm sure you have looked over many pics of Neil in the A7L. With the Neck ring being all Blue, there was no Apollo 11 patch on that one, it also had the extra material around the patches. The rings went through a change between Apollo 8 and Apollo 9 I think. The Blue inner was still used, but the outter top and side went to Red. That suit had the Apollo 11 patch. (Put on days before launch.) What ever you do, I'm sure will look great. 

Mick

Edited by ApolloMan

Thanks Apollo. I did notice I couldn't find any shots like that so I figured that's why the sculptor left off the mission patch spot on the figure. That's fine, I'll still print the name tag and NASA meatball patch and flag. The pic I'm mostly using for reference is the individual publicity shot. I'm pretty sure it's the pic that the designer used to model the figure.

When I first saw your 'bust' I thought that the neck ring should have been Red, and saw the PR photo you and the designer referenced, with the Blue neck ring, but ApolloMan is right that Armstrong's flight suit had the patch and the Red neck ring, which visually, looks a little better too.

Bill, did you paint in the little highlights on the eyeballs? Seeing as it's a sculpture, just Gloss Clear the eyes and let natural light sources work to reflect those highlights.

And can I assume that the 3D bust is hollow? How thick is the wall ... I'm just curious ... :whistle:

And I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the Bubble Helmet .......... I'm kidding, just kidding!  :popcorn:

Pete

• 4 months later...

Well, this is the only model I got close to finishing. I am not totally happy with the skin tones. I think there are some nice areas, but some of the pinkish tones don't seem to jive with the more yellowish areas. It's like he had a skin graph done or something. But it's about as good as I can do with my current skill set. Hopefully I'll get better on the next one. I also haven't finished the suit markings as I haven't found or ordered any white decal paper so I can print out the NASA logo. I have some clear somewhere and I can do the name tag when I get the chance. There are also a few details I could add and/or paint on but I think this one is CLOSE to being......done. 

Sorry I let this group build go by without much progress at all. I'm sure you don't want any sad story excuses so I won't give them. Just didn't do it, plain and simple. but still Pete, THANKS! I mean really thanks for putting this together. I know it's frustrating to put the work into a build and not many people follow through. But I'd call this a success anyway. There are some wonderful builds that did get finished (or close) and a lot of learning experiences were found in many of the threads. I hope the inspiration to do more space modeling builds is still there. See everyone on the next "Teacher, I didn't finish my homework" group build.

neil small 3.jpg