Block 30 F-16C 1/72 Oh ANG MiG Killer

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building the 162nd FS Ohio ANG F-16C 86-0262 using a 72nd scale Hasegawa kit and Twobobs Decals sheet 72-077. I'm still a bit confused by the different Viper blocks. I know the -30 has the GE engine and large mouth intake. Which is the best Hasegawa kit to get there though? Comparing the "standard" Hasegawa C kits to the A kits, the intake doesn't appear any larger. However, its noticeably larger in the CJ boxing that comes with extra sprue's. What about wing tip missile rails? The Iraqi MiG-23 that it shot down was hit with an AIM-120, so I'm assuming that in service with the 162nd, it would still have the AMRAAM rails? In every pic that I've seen of this jet it has a Sidewinder on the wing tip, so its hard to tell. Also, in the Hasegawa CJ kit, there's an extra sprue with fatter tires, and bulged main gear doors. That was a Block 40 and higher thing, correct? 

Does anyone know of a site that has a break down of the Viper blocks, and what Black has what features? Thanks in advance for your help! Fred K.

Okay, so I came across the F-16.net site and answered most of my questions..... Block 30: Large intake, GE engine, no bulged gear doors. The only thing that I couldn't determine is regarding the missile rails. Any help? Thanks, Fred K.

I could be wrong, but I *think* the wingtip rails were more determined by the timeframe.  Seems that by Operation OIF most had been fitted with the AMRAAM rails on the wingtips, regardless of block #.  

...if I'm wrong, someone call out now....

The LAU-129 rails were based on the timeframe, not the block,  For modeling differences between the C model blocks this article is worthwhile.  It's focused on the 1/48th Tamiya kit, but it has a good breakdown of the differences between the blocks.  LINK

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Thanks guys! I have since found a pic of the jet in question with no missiles on the wing tips, and it clearly has the 129 rails. I raided my F-16CJ for the necessary parts. Thanks again, Fred K.