Starting my group build Apollo

OK - so here's my contribution to the group build - I'll be tackling the Dragon 1/48 CSM.  I finished an earlier one as Apollo 7 and will try and do this one as a typical "H" model Apollo.

You can see my earlier version - I used BMF - matte aluminum on the SM and Chrome on the CM    - will try and do the same on this one.  

1.JPG

Here is the current state of things - I had previously assembled the SM and coated with Aluminum tester's paint - didn't like the finish - so now the BMF.

The Dragon is a decent representation of the Apollo  - but not especially accurate - it is more of a template - it certainly can take detailing and enhancement. 

Nice to see you here Ret!

This'll be interesting to see built up. I've only built the 50 year old Revell CSM so to see this new one come together will be a treat!

I'm already curious to see if you'll need any aftermarket items or if the kit is already pretty accurate.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.  I never did pick one of those up.  Maybe I'll get one if they re-release it for the 50th anniversary.  I'll be watching to see how this one comes out.

Randy

• 1 month later...

Slow progress - but still working on it.  Done foiling on the SM and aft heat shield.  Added some access ports and panel lines...

Hoping to get some clear time to make more headway - RET1580655584_apollomay8.jpg.9bcc8d9497b940b9c63bf40457f08ab0.jpg

The foiling job looks perfect! ... Or are we just seeing it's 'good' side?  :whistle:  

Just FYI, the SPS engine bell is 2-tone as opposed to all Black. 

Command-Service-Module-e1453742541459.jpg

And don't be shy about including more images ... I'd love to see how the build progresses, step-by-step.

Just FYI Ret, TorCan doesn't look good for me attending in a couple weeks ... I'll just have to wait and see. If I do go, are you thinking of having this completed?

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Hi Pete - thanks for the encouragement.  Had a few RL things to deal with lately, but yea - I'm hoping to get this done for Torcan.  Not sure how I want to deal with the engine bell - I may try to scuff it down for a different texture feel.  I'll try and post some more photos (I SHOULD be able to do that!).

;-) ret

• 3 weeks later...

As indicated by Peter the engine bell is wrong. In the image below I put side by side your model and mine to show what can be improved. The engine bell is made out of two halves of different colors as mentionned by Pete. The limit between the upped and lower halves on the dragon model seems too low on the photo (white line). The interface between the heat shield and the bell shows a bottle neck that is not present on the real SM. Finally there seems to be a rim for a third halve that is not present as well. Otherwise this model is more accurate than the Revell one since it is based on Block II instead of Block I. Your foiling job is really great.

image124.jpg

Hi Vincent - Thanks for your comments!  - yes the engine bell is not very accurate on the Dragon kit.  I decided to leave it as it was a bit beyond my skill set to address. I guess my idea is that the models are interpretive rather than highly accurate - and with my skill set I go with what I can do.

11 hours ago, Ret said:

I guess my idea is that the models are interpretive rather than highly accurate 

This is my method too Ret. I do try to accurize the kit, but only to an extent. I allow a small scrap of styrene, carved a little and painted, to be interpreted as a part on the real thing, by the viewer. 100% accuracy isn't my goal, but maybe 93% ... :whistle: ... however, that said, the foil strips on the CM look impressive ... and time consuming. But the result was worth it!

Thanx Ret

Pete