M992 late 80’s colors

Evening. I picked up a Riich 1/72 combo kit of the M109A2 and M992 so I could build the tracks I served on when I was in Germany in the late 80’s. I left Germany two weeks before the wall came down. Anyway, I know the howitzer colors, I just can’t figure out what the green is with the black on the FAASV. Here’s a pic of my tracks. 

Thanks, Chris

3b469fc401d34251a827bcd4919eda59.jpg

both are std 3 tone nato-flage of black brown and green imo, nothing extraordinary there.

that being said judging by the wheels on both, obviously those vehicles seem to have travelled thru some serious (mostly dry or dried off very quickly due to temp) dirt and dust so the picture should be considered as a great example of how German soil and climate do affect the colors of such a disruptive camo scheme, especially on the faasv.

Our 992’s replaced the M548’s some time before I got there in ‘87 but I don’t know when. I always thought they were darker, like a euro green and black. 

This pic was taken during Reforger ‘88. We were training near the Czech border. Most of the positions we occupied had dark soil but we did drive some dirt roads with a foot or two of water in some holes. 

Edited by kg4kpg

Since this is the more or less typical (and uniform) NATO tri-color-scheme, I´d go with the Revell "Bronzegruen" #65 for your green. I usually light them up with some yellow, though.

HAJO