Kitty hawk Blackhawk review online.

This L should be able to be built into a S-70A9 Aussie Blackhawk as well if we get the ESSS stub covers.  We would need to source some Mag58's on the correct mount and some boarding steps. hmmm...............

20 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

This L should be able to be built into a S-70A9 Aussie Blackhawk as well if we get the ESSS stub covers.  We would need to source some Mag58's on the correct mount and some boarding steps. hmmm...............

exactly what I was thinking haha

Looks like they might have hit this kit out of the park, looks amazing... now bring us the Huey....

Edited by UH-1Mad

Are recessed rivets a cost issue in manufacturing kits? I notice that the interior is stacked head to toe with beautiful raised rivets but the fuselage is recessed rivets. Why would this be? I am just generally curious on this, not a criticism. Obviously I prefer raised rivets but it doesn't turn me off a kit as long as it represented accurately, so just wondering, in terms of look, why the recessed rivets?

cheers 

Edited by UH-1Mad

Raised detail like rivets results in complications in getting the mold to release.  Usually you have either use more expensive multipart molds, or break things into more parts, which also increases costs.  You can see it on the new Academy AH-1Z, but that’s a much smaller aircraft.

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’ve not heard that only the overseas kits have the figures.  The box tops all seem to say “no crew are included”, but as shown on the Flory Models review and the one on moxing.net, their kits have figures but there is nothing on the outside of the box like a sticker to say “special edition - figures included”.  May have to wait until the kit is available from US distributors to know for sure.

Best thing to do on eBay is look for sellers with a lot of positive history over a long period of time.  Scammers make have a high positive rating, but if you look closely it’s a very low number of feedbacks or only very recent feedback.  The kit is also available on Amazon for what looks like a better price than the eBay sellers currently listed.

Thanks, Dave. In fact, I just ordered one for $99 at Amazon.  They state the release date is April 15, and I should have it Apil 17.  I hope the figures are included, but it won't break my heart if they aren't, as I can't paint figures worth a darn!

23 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

...Also, I had a question for you, or anyone elso here really. I have been looking at hundreds of photos of Black Hawks online, downloading walk-arounds etc, but I still am unable to distinguish the A from the L. Most pictures do not show the tail very well, and even in the pictures with the tail visible, I still don't see the difference. Some photos have the full tail and are labeled as A models, others have the cut tail, but are also labeled A models. Is there any easy to find distinctions between all the models?...

Externally, the only difference between an Alpha and a Lima is the pilot's step fairing.  If I remember correctly, Limas got additional/larger vibration absorbers so the step fairing was larger.  The tail number is no longer a distinction, since Alpha birds have been getting upgraded to Lima standards, but for what its worth, Alpha tail numbers started with the 23xxx series and went through to the early 26xxx series.  The newest Alpha I ever worked on was 88-26062.  Limas started to come off the production line I think sometime in 1988.  Also, ESSS and HIRSS were retrofitted to most Alphas, but not all of them.  The lesser known CIRSS exhaust was only on Alphas, and I think only on those stationed in Germany, but no doubt someone else has better info on that.

Hope this helps!

-Ramon

10 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

Are recessed rivets a cost issue in manufacturing kits? I notice that the interior is stacked head to toe with beautiful raised rivets but the fuselage is recessed rivets. Why would this be? I am just generally curious on this, not a criticism. Obviously I prefer raised rivets but it doesn't turn me off a kit as long as it represented accurately, so just wondering, in terms of look, why the recessed rivets?

cheers 

I would think going with those divots would make the molds more expensive since you have to machine a thousand or so tiny raised bumps into the surface.    I figured it was just an "artistic" choice since I believe they've released aircraft with some really nice, accurate surface detail.   Just a disappointment that they feel it's a plus for their helo kits cause the real things have very pronounced riveting, which are a significant feature.   Here's what Academy came up with on their Zulu Cobra.   To me, that's the correct approach.   Oh well, it is what it is.....

2200-10.jpg

9 hours ago, Curt B said:

I just ordered one from Amazon Prime for $99, to be released April 15.

I ordered mine from the same seller on Amazon a couple of days before, but then the price was $1 more and they said it would be in stock on April 8 and delivered April 10.  Guess I’ll find out in a day or two if that’s actually true.  Amazon pricing works in strange and unpredictable ways.

Disappointed that it won’t come with the correct stub wing covers, though.

5 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

The line running down the fairing shows where they attached the fairing addition. 

So they made it wider, not longer, now I get it. That is a very minute detail probably not even visible in most pictures. I guess I am safe building the kit as the L model, just need to find the correct FS color, the one shown is very old, much lighter green. I understand that there is a newer darker helo green I should use. If I get 160 decals, then it will be black. I think I need to ask floyd what helo it will build from SOAR.

Thanks for the details Tim, really had me scratching my head,

Anthony

The KH kit will build into a 160th SOAR MH-60L DAP with the ESSS wings and extra weapons with what is currently in the box.  It is missing the ESSS wing attachment point covers as is.  Once these pieces are included, it will build into pretty much any 160th SOAR MH-60L and more specifically an Op Gothic Serpent (Somalia '93) MH-60L with the included decals.  As you said, any MH-60L should be flat black. 

If you want to build a standard UH-60L, you will need to source a pointy stabilator tail  plane and leave off all the MH lumps and bumps.  The color you want is called Helo Drab Green and is bottled by Testors Model Master in both acrylic and enamel.  The enamel looks more faded and worn while the acrylic color looks newer.

Enamel left, acrylic right.

IMG_0122.jpg

16 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

s-l400.jpgs-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

The KH kit will build into 

I guess I didn't mention that my kit, sadly, is the academy 1/48 Blackhawk with "double vision" decals in the kit. I don't know if that is a correct OOB build, or if I can make it more intersting with another tail number/air regiment?

Now that KH is making a whole set of 1/35 helos, I am going to stop buying the 1/48 kits and go with any/all their 35s, it would seem they are on a mission (with the help of Floyd's Werner) to give us a greater selection of birds in that scale, with all kinds of goodies to go with it!

I think I am in love with KH,

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino

3 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

s-l400.jpgs-l1600.jpg

As Cavalry Scouts, we carried the M240Bravos, the "PIG" or even more affectionately known simply as "the Bit#h", with good reason. Laying down suppression with her, is beautiful to watch. I also am familiar with the C variant, used as a coaxial turret alternative in the Bradley CFV. If the weapon was properly zeroed, with the advanced optics, we could use it like a sniper rifle from a kilometer away, she is a powerful girl you don't want to make angry!

Never used the H variant, as I was no air-cav, but I bet it is tinkered with to increase the rate of fire, beyond the typical gas regular switch at the end of the heat shields under the barrel.

This is why I am going to focus all my finding towards KH helicopters from now on. I will still build all the kits in my stash, and seek out aftermarket parts as well, but I will be more focused in acquiring these babies, with the added PE and resin figures, its out of the box gorgeous already, but I can't wait to see what the people of the resin world will cook for us to add even more details!

This is going to be a very expensive year.......

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino

4 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

So they made it wider, not longer, now I get it. That is a very minute detail probably not even visible in most pictures. I guess I am safe building the kit as the L model, just need to find the correct FS color, the one shown is very old, much lighter green. I understand that there is a newer darker helo green I should use. If I get 160 decals, then it will be black. I think I need to ask floyd what helo it will build from SOAR.

Thanks for the details Tim, really had me scratching my head,

Anthony

here a goodie that will be available for the US Navy  MH 60 in 1/35 scale very soon.

20181007_120658_zps0i5dgdod.jpg

20181007_102300_zps7hcl1jq7.jpg

20181216_145520_zps515lyoqd.jpg

Edited by Rotorman
8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I ordered mine from the same seller on Amazon a couple of days before, but then the price was $1 more and they said it would be in stock on April 8 and delivered April 10.  Guess I’ll find out in a day or two if that’s actually true.  Amazon pricing works in strange and unpredictable ways.

Disappointed that it won’t come with the correct stub wing covers, though.

I'm not a Blackhawk knowledgeable person, so I'm not sure of the significance of the stub wing covers.  Like many folks, I'm sure, I'm interested in building the Blackhawks of Somalia fame, so will the lack of those covers mean I won't be able to do a Somalia version helo?  And regarding Amazon, yes sir, we will both have to wait and see what comes of their promises.  

1 hour ago, stalal said:

Why are helicopter models issued in 1/35 instead of 1/32? 

My guess is so that these helicopters will be able to be displayed in dioramas with armor/softskin models which are often in 1/35.  It makes sense to me as a reason, plus, perhaps saving the manufacturer a slight bit of plastic.

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

I'm not a Blackhawk knowledgeable person, so I'm not sure of the significance of the stub wing covers.  Like many folks, I'm sure, I'm interested in building the Blackhawks of Somalia fame, so will the lack of those covers mean I won't be able to do a Somalia version helo?  And regarding Amazon, yes sir, we will both have to wait and see what comes of their promises.  

That’s correct, you won’t be able to do any of the kit decal Somalia birds because none of them carried the ESSS wing.

I guess Amazon was correct.  I got a shipping notice for mine to arrive on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, that means it won’t come with the needed stub wing covers.