Kitty hawk Blackhawk review online.

46 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

That’s correct, you won’t be able to do any of the kit decal Somalia birds because none of them carried the ESSS wing.

I guess Amazon was correct.  I got a shipping notice for mine to arrive on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, that means it won’t come with the needed stub wing covers.

Dave,

Thanks for that info.  That's a HUGE disappointment, but since I don't know what those ESSS wing covers look like, I am unsure if they are capable of being scratch built, by a modeling klutz like myself.  Do you have a photo, or can you point to an existing photo, where those ESSS covers are shown?  By the way, the new CyberModeler review also notes that:

• The only glitch in the kit is that it is missing the fuselage covers used when the ESSS wings are not installed.

Again, I'd like to see photos of these parts on the real helo to see if it's possible to create those items from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Dave,

Thanks for that info.  That's a HUGE disappointment, but since I don't know what those ESSS wing covers look like, I am unsure if they are capable of being scratch built, by a modeling klutz like myself.  Do you have a photo, or can you point to an existing photo, where those ESSS covers are shown?  By the way, the new CyberModeler review also notes that:

• The only glitch in the kit is that it is missing the fuselage covers used when the ESSS wings are not installed.

Again, I'd like to see photos of these parts on the real helo to see if it's possible to create those items from scratch.

The pictures of the covers that should be in the kit are on page 2 of this thread.

15 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The pictures of the covers that should be in the kit are on page 2 of this thread.

Got it, Dave.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

They will provide the covers as soon as they can.  Not sure of the process yet though.  Yes it is a disappointment but they are fixing it.

Floyd

15 hours ago, Rotorman said:

available for the US Navy  MH 60 in 1/35 scale 

Wow.........let me say that again........ WOW! You don't even know what that is, but I want one! After I pick up the F-22 that I already promised a fellow I would buy,my attention will be 100% directed at 1/35 scale aircraft, mainly from KH, I am super impressed with the level of detail on my AH-1Z and UH-1Y helos, I am certain the 35's will be even better.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I am happy, but my wallet hates you!

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino

19 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Enamel left, acrylic right.

Wow, that is a stark difference. With my limited experience with the real aircraft, the left/enamel version is more accurate for the operational birds I have been in. Bad part, I only got my rides at night, so I did not see any real details that will help me to build one.

Awesome pics though, thanks for sharing. One day, the will build at the same level as you guys, the kits I have seen on here are truly works of art!

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino

11 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

They will provide the covers as soon as they can.  Not sure of the process yet though.  Yes it is a disappointment but they are fixing it.

Floyd

So wondering what will the process be in the case where people have already bought the kit. From which batch of production will a customer know that those missing parts are now in the package? 

Its confusing and why dont they make sure they do it right in first release. 

24 minutes ago, stalal said:

Its confusing and why dont they make sure they do it right in first release

At least they are fixing the issue and not washing their hands and walking away from the problem. There could be a thousand reasons these parts were missed before production began, and it is likely that someone has lost their livelihood based on a simple mistake that ANY ONE could make.

If you are so concerned about the missing parts not being there, then wait for a year before you buy the kit, or buy one from another manufacturer that has the MH-60 in this scale, if you can find one that is.

Everyone needs to just chill out, just the sheer amount of parts they will need to send out will likely mean they don't turn a profit off the kit from the initial run, we should just be happy they made such a beautiful kit in the first place. The other option, build the kit WITH that ESSS installed, then you don't have anything missing.

Anthony

40 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

buy one from another manufacturer that has the MH-60 in this scale, if you can find one that is.

Lol, I’d imagine that 1/35 Blackhawk kits from the other manufacturer will be quite easy to find, and at good prices too.

I dug out my old “AH-60L DAP” kit for a bit of nostalgia.  Had the Eduard exterior and interior sets, plus 3-4 Cobra Company detail sets in the box.  To be honest, the old Academy kit wasn’t really that bad, especially if you dressed it up with all of the aftermarket.

Edited by Dave Williams
40 minutes ago, stalal said:

I did not mean to offend anyone. 

Its no biggie, not offended either, we all know they screwed up, whats the point of piling on. Like I said, there are other options for those who can't wait, or with this kit missing the two tiny parts

At least they are trying to make it right. My guess is they will send the same number of replacement parts to their vendors, asking them to pull what stocks are on the shelves until they can have the parts attached individually and to contact those who already bought their kits, so they can send out the missing pieces as soon as available.

Since this kit showed up, the only thing that is being talked about is the horror of these missing pieces, when there is so much more to be happy about. If they ignored their mistake, that would be one thing, but the fact that efforts are being made to correct, should make this a moot point. Everybody will get their corrections, just a little inconvenience, not armageddon.

21 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Lol, I’d imagine that 1/35 Blackhawk kits from the other manufacturer will be quite easy to find

Perfect, then those who can't seem to wait without losing their skirts should buy the alternatives. My point is basically that KH screwed up, we ALL are very aware at this point and they are making it right. The beating a dead horse comes to mind. This is only an issue if you are building one without the ESSS installed, but even still, I bet there are aircraft that are missing these covers anyway, not like the military is real good at keeping parts in perfect working order and their inventories accurate as well. Unless the part is critical to flight, I could easily see a situation where one mechanic removes the panels during the install of the ESSS wings, only to have a different mechanic remove the wings and not have the covers.

When I was in the Army, I got so tired of doing the PCI on my truck, which had about 20 rivets missing in the front quater panel, only to have the mechanics at the motorpool never fix it, I bought my own rivet gun and popped them in myself. So people should get their own rivet gun, or get a different model.

Sorry, just tired, the kit hasn't been out a week and all the talk is over these little silly covers, the sky is still up there.

13 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

This is only an issue if you are building one without the ESSS installed, but even still, I bet there are aircraft that are missing these covers anyway, not like the military is real good at keeping parts in perfect working order and their inventories accurate as well. Unless the part is critical to flight, I could easily see a situation where one mechanic removes the panels during the install of the ESSS wings, only to have a different mechanic remove the wings and not have the covers.

I have never seen one fly without them.  The covers have to be installed.  If not, the aircraft is deadlined and does not fly. 

Here is what it looks like without the covers on an MH-60S with a big, experimental gun.  Without the cover leaves too much exposed wiring and hydraulic lines to safely fly.

RAMICS_Picture.jpg

I feel the same as you though, it isn't a big issue and they are sending out the parts.  If people just can't wait, the longer ESSS wing could easily be cut down and filled/sanded/reshaped to replicate the covers. 

16 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

If not, the aircraft is deadlined and does not fly.  

See, there you go, someone with more knowledge than I, puts me on the straight and narrow. Interesting side bar, when my BCT (brigade combat team) deployed to OIF II, we loaded all our vehicles by rail in Germany. My platoon was required to bring a certain number of trucks (humvee). We did not have enough running trucks to send, so we had to drag one down to the load point and have it dragged onto a rail car, even though it had not turned over in more than a year and our mechanics had no interest in finding out why, much less in fixing it. The Army is not known for its high standards when it comes to equipment condition. I guess that the air regiments are a bit more particular about their aircraft, probably better funded as well.

Some guys that had been with other outfits, told me it was just my battalion that sucked, as their old outfits like AA were "high speed" and the 2-2In was an under funded hole in the wall with low standards. I never knew how much of that was true, since that was the only BCT I ever was assigned too. But the gear at Ft Knox was equally in disrepair, I started to believe that most of the army was for barely functional for the most part.

Anthony

PS. That barrel looks like the barrel of the 25 MIKE MIKE on the Bradley, but that looks a lot bigger. Do you know what it is?

Edited by Stalker6recon
Forgot content

As to vehicle maintenence, I guess it was your unit as well.  The units I was in always maintained around a 90+% OR (Operational Readiness) rate on all of our equipment.  If not, the motor officer and maintenance personnel were in deep shite with the Bn and BDE commander.  

28 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

PS. That barrel looks like the barrel of the 25 MIKE MIKE on the Bradley, but that looks a lot bigger. Do you know what it is?

It was called Rapid Airborne Mine Clearance System (RAMICS).  It was an experimental USN system that was supposed to destroy surface mines.  It used a 30mm Bushmaster II cannon which is basically the same gun as the Bradley, just a little bigger.

5 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

30mm Bushmaster

Which explains why it has the same barrel profile that I remember so well.

As for my unit being basically crap, I am not surprised honestly. We were Cav Scouts, attached to infantry, a big let down for me anyway. As the battalion was infantry, they did not fully understand what Cav Scouts do, or how best to utilize our training and skill set. There was not one Scout in my platoon that didn't wish they were with a Cavalry unit. Being part of HHC made matter worse, not better, and for some reason, we seemed the last to be given upgrades, much less, new equipment. All our humvees where the thin skinned variety, and even though camp liberty had row after row of shiny new up armor trucks, my platoon had to use the thin skins the whole time, its like they wanted us to get killed.

The whole thing is a shame really, I loved my time on active duty, but wonder what life would have been with a better outfit. I swear that the whole base was for trouble makers and the stupid, but maybe that was me having higher expectations?

Life moves on though, and no matter how messed up it was, I still miss it.

1 hour ago, Stalker6recon said:

Since this kit showed up, the only thing that is being talked about is the horror of these missing pieces, when there is so much more to be happy about.

Absolutely. Kitty Hawk are doing a fabulous job and they are bringing out new kits at such a frequency. 

My issue was if box art is Somalia, decals options are Somalia then how could they miss out on parts on a helicopter for Somalia!!

14 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Floyd

Thank you, sir, for the info.  

As for anyone here saying that there is too much being made about these parts, I agree there is no reason to be crazy about them, and cause perceived hate and discontent.  My only reason for talking about them is to know if they are needed for a particular helicopter, one that I know I have ant to build, and how to address the situation if they are available.  Sounds like that won’t be an issue.   COOL!

By the way, I think the wings look really great, and I’d prefer to have them on my model if I didn’t have a specific help in mind! 

31 minutes ago, stalal said:

Absolutely. Kitty Hawk are doing a fabulous job and they are bringing out new kits at such a frequency. 

My issue was if box art is Somalia, decals options are Somalia then how could they miss out on parts on a helicopter for Somalia!!

Well my reply would be this. Maybe they were being exceptionally generous with the options, allowing modeller to build an ever greater variety of aircraft from their kit, so we aren't just stuck with doing the box cover top painting, now we can build multiple variations of the helicopter BECAUSE they decided to have the ESSS optional, rather than building the cover into the fuselage mold to start with, which totally rules out the DAP version of the Blackhawk. How many kits out there, leave you with only one aircrft type to build? How many give the end user control to a large degree about how/what they build? These options are what makes a basic kit, become exceptional, at least in my book. Now they are damned for trying to provide us with more options.

Lets face facts. There is no way in hell that the people at KH had a board meeting and somebody said "hey people, I am not happy with the rollout of this new kit, giving the people what they want, thats just stupid. Lets try this, we will leave out two tiny parts, just to see if anyone notices, that will be great for business and our reputation as a quality model maker, now whose with me!"

Again, we all know that somebody screwed up. Even our friend at arc, Floyd Werner has at times taken the heat for mistakes made to airframes that he helped create, not because he likes eating the shi...........but because he, and the rest of us, and I suppose those at KH, are all human and therefore flawed.

Now we can sit here an armchair quaterback the reasons for this earth shattering debacle, or, we can take it in stride and realize in the scheme of things, missing two tiny parts from your 1/35 model kit is not, I repeat, NOT the end of all civilization as we know it.

Is it a bummer, yes. Is it an unforgivable catastrophic event like a hillary vote? Nope, not in my book, I don't care that you voted for hillary!

24 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

Well my reply would be this. Maybe they were being exceptionally generous with the options, allowing modeller to build an ever greater variety of aircraft from their kit, so we aren't just stuck with doing the box cover top painting, now we can build multiple variations of the helicopter BECAUSE they decided to have the ESSS optional, rather than building the cover into the fuselage mold to start with, which totally rules out the DAP version of the Blackhawk. How many kits out there, leave you with only one aircrft type to build? How many give the end user control to a large degree about how/what they build? These options are what makes a basic kit, become exceptional, at least in my book. Now they are damned for trying to provide us with more options.

Lets face facts. There is no way in hell that the people at KH had a board meeting and somebody said "hey people, I am not happy with the rollout of this new kit, giving the people what they want, thats just stupid. Lets try this, we will leave out two tiny parts, just to see if anyone notices, that will be great for business and our reputation as a quality model maker, now whose with me!"

Again, we all know that somebody screwed up. Even our friend at arc, Floyd Werner has at times taken the heat for mistakes made to airframes that he helped create, not because he likes eating the shi...........but because he, and the rest of us, and I suppose those at KH, are all human and therefore flawed.

Now we can sit here an armchair quaterback the reasons for this earth shattering debacle, or, we can take it in stride and realize in the scheme of things, missing two tiny parts from your 1/35 model kit is not, I repeat, NOT the end of all civilization as we know it.

Is it a bummer, yes. Is it an unforgivable catastrophic event like a hillary vote? Nope, not in my book, I don't care that you voted for hillary!

Why are you still going on about this, and bringing politics into it in your last paragraph?  Except for one person asking why they didn’t get it right in the first place, most of this thread has been identifying that parts are missing, answering questions about what the parts are and why are they needed, and people asking legitimate questions about how they can get the parts, if they already have the kit, or be sure the kit they buy has the part.  No one is raking KH over the coals here or running around saying that the sky is falling.  Almost everyone here understands it was just a mistake and acknowledge they are trying to fix it, but they are just looking for details.  Yet you seem to be going out of your way to defend them without any real knowledge of why it happened, first by presuming that you can leave the covers off because that’s what you’ve seen in the Army, and then by saying that not molding the covers as part of the fuselage is a good thing (it is), but not sure how that makes leaving the covers out somehow OK.  It’s most likely they just made a simple mistake that needs to be corrected.

The how and why it happened is something KH can deal with internally.  The issue was pointed out, and they are responding.  There will likely be more information on getting the missing parts and/or when kits that come with the covers in the box will be available.  That’s really the only open issue that I see that people are interested in.

9 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

That’s really the only open issue that I see that people are interested in. 

I agree, and that last line was supposed to be some comic relief, I guess that didn't show thru. I am thrilled about the new kit, and more over, that I can build many variations of it, to my liking. I am in comstant pain as well, and anyone with chronic pain knows that is makes you cranky, no amount of morphine sulfate will correct that. I thought the issue was dead, but it keeps coming back up, again and again, guess my Italian blood, mixed with a equal balance of pain/pain meds, demands I get the last word in, see, it happened again.

I have enjoyed this thread immensely, but the negativity is ruining it. We should all just be happy that there is something new of this much loved subject that is the Blackhawk, while KH may have stumbled out of the gates, they are working to rectify it, and lets move on. That simple.

This turned into "someone ruined it for me, now I am ruining it for you", kind of the opposite of pay it forward. Now lets just get back to the sexy show! Did you see the undercarriage on this kit?

Ok, here is a quetion for the rotorheads in this thread.

First, does KH have plans to make a CH-47 to accompany this fast growing fleet of 35ers?(probably, scratch that, definitely aimed at the one man here that know, Floyd is you please?)

Second, does the trumpeter kit of this scale, work also as a SOAR aircraft?

My diorama dreams are growing by the day. First I thought, no way I can find a 47 in 48 scale, just too big and expensive. Then I found several, and planned my diorama around that. Then I happened upon decal sets  for 35, and thought wow, that should be big. What do you know while looking at option for that scale, I almost fell out of my seat when 32 shown on my screen. I figure to stop asking too many questions, or my luck will change.

I prefer to have a KH version of a SOAR 47, but if the trumpeter will work, I am good with that too.

19 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

Second, does the trumpeter kit of this scale, work also as a SOAR aircraft?

No, Trumpeter makes two Chinook kits, both standard US Army cargo/troop carriers;  a Vietnam era CH-47A and a modern CH-47D, which are both very different than a SOAR MH-47E/G.  Floyd did offer a MH-47E/G conversion set a while ago, but it was a limited run and sold out quickly.  Hopefully he will bring it back.

Edited by HeavyArty