Kitty hawk Blackhawk review online.

3 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

First, does KH have plans to make a CH-47 to accompany this fast growing fleet of 35ers?(probably, scratch that, definitely aimed at the one man here that know, Floyd is you please?)

I prefer to have a KH version of a SOAR 47

If they were going to do it, I could not divulge that information.  I'd also prefer to have a KH SOAR 47 in 1/35th scale.  While my set was nice it was too expensive to make, too time consuming to package and too expensive for most people to buy, especially since you had to buy the Live Resin guns to go with it.  Besides to start up production again I would have to source more decals (cost too much for a minimum run of 250), would need new vacuform windows, then there is the cost of the resin parts which would be too expensive considering I'd have to do at least a run of 50.  I made very little money off of those kits.  Plus I had to share what profits I did have with Andry Bass who did the majority of work.  Without him there would have been no conversion.  I just finished his work with a bunch of people's help, including Chris Miller, Norbert, and some others.  It was a labor of love but didn't pay the bills, even at the price I charged

2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Floyd did offer a MH-47E/G conversion set a while ago, but it was a limited run and sold out quickly.  Hopefully he will bring it back.

See my response above. 

Floyd

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Dave Williams said:

The one in the kit looks like it has the mounting lugs for the struts that support the wing exposed.  I’m assuming that the stub wing cover is from the HH-60G kit, and photos of that kit show the strut cover plate is different.  There appear to be fairings over where the support strut lugs are.

3wWLLDc.jpg

I asked for this part to be included as well.  We'll see.  Again I say hit up KH on their FB page and let them know that you want this as well.  I agree it should be included.  It is done up in CAD already.  We proofed it as well.

Floyd

37 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I asked for this part to be included as well.  We'll see.  Again I say hit up KH on their FB page and let them know that you want this as well.  I agree it should be included.  It is done up in CAD already.  We proofed it as well.

Floyd

I think it’s already been mentioned in one of the threads there, but doesn’t seem to have gotten the same traction that the stub wing covers got.

6 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

love but didn't pay the bills, even at the price I charged 

You are probably old enough to remember that absolutely age inappropriate toy of the late 70's, that was a car manufacturing plant using some kind of wax/plastic. You would heat it up using the supplied melting pot (forget if the heat was electric or fire). Then you would pour the molten liquid into the preformed car body, with a set of wheels layed across the molds via their axels. That entire set probably cost less to create than one piece of modern day resin, but for kids, it was out first taste of chemistry/manufacturing, and while dangerous, it was fun.

I did check out the link to your kit, and the sheer number of panels that need to ve removed and other bits, at my skill level (is there a negative scale involved?) would have been the same as going to a butcher for that delicate knee replacement surgery. Way beyond my abilities, but I would not be scared to try it. Trying and failing is still better than never trying at all. Is that how that saying goes?

As usual, thanks guys, you are my Obi-Wan's!

Never a dull moment here at the Arc of the Covenant!

Anthony

PS. Too many 70's/80's references?

7 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I agree it should be included.  It is done up in CAD already.  We proofed it as well. 

Floyd 

Looks great on the bird and it makes sense that it is molded separately as well, giving the option for us to choose the ESSS layout. I love this bird, saw one on ebay for $100+, and its the only one I could find. I hope KH is making a lot of these upfront, they are vanishing quick, initial run should have been 1,000,000 copies! As far as the parts missing, not the end of the world, all will be well for those who can wait. You have done an amazing job with the level of detail that these new kits have, my AH-1Z and UH-1Y look fantastic, academy and trumpeter beware, KH is taking over the rotorhead business. I say that, and my experience adds up to nanoseconds compared to most members here, just happy about the kits, and the ones we all know are coming.

Hello,

Sorry for this basic question but I'm not too familiar with all the versions of the Black Hawk...would this kit be a good starting point for an US Customs and Border Protection UH-60L ?

What would be the main differences ?

Thanks

Marc B

4 hours ago, MarcB said:

Hello,

Sorry for this basic question but I'm not too familiar with all the versions of the Black Hawk...would this kit be a good starting point for an US Customs and Border Protection UH-60L ?

What would be the main differences ?

Thanks

Marc B

Yes, but it would take some parts not included in the kit.  The biggest is the standard, pointy stabilator.  The CBP helo is a UH-60L as opposed to an MH-60L which uses the square, folding stabilator.   

10072016%20TAB%20AAA%20Deploy%201.jpghomeland_security_blackhawk_by_copperbelIMG_38321.jpg

Werner's Wings has the platypus nose FLIR mount.  You would have to source the nightsun from somewhere.  I believe one comes in some of the Revell 1/32 German helo kits.

35-11PartsList.jpg

You would also need to backdate the IP from an MH model with multi-function displays to an L model with all gauges.

MH-60L panel

11_cockpit_7.JPG

UH-60L panel

uh60l-panel-2x.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

The Academy UH-60A/L kit is an A model out of the box (L has wider fairings under pilots' doors).  It will get you close, but the new Kitty Hawk MH-60L kit is much more detailed and complete, minus a couple A/L model specific parts.  

Edited by HeavyArty
1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

FYI... I got the one I ordered from amazon today. It did not have any figures, yet it did have the paper illustration sheet for them at the bottom of the box. 

Same for me.  Strange that it includes the instruction sheet.  You would think that they’d leave the instructions out if they weren’t going to include the figures.  Although I really don’t care about the figures personally, it’s disappointing they were featured in reviews without indicating they might or not be included.  Plus, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to tell when buying the kit sight unseen whether it comes with figures or not, unless the seller explicitly says so.  It’s been suggested on FB that distributors choose whether to buy the figures or not, but I’m not sure that the boxes are in any way labeled different or have a different kit number between those with or without the figures, so I’m not sure how the consumer is supposed to know.  Seems like a sticker on the box saying something like “figures included” would be helpful.

I got notified that my helicopter from Amazon is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (Thursday).  So EXCITED!!!   I hope the figures are included, unlike the one that Dave said he received from his Amazon purchase.  Will let you all know what transpires tomorrow! 

32 minutes ago, Curt B said:

I got notified that my helicopter from Amazon is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (Thursday).  So EXCITED!!!   I hope the figures are included, unlike the one that Dave said he received from his Amazon purchase.  Will let you all know what transpires tomorrow! 

I said same as dave in my earlier post. I had Amazon purchase - no figures, only figure instructions. 

Regardless, kit looks fantastic. My only prior Kitty Hawk kit has been the OV-10 and it's night and day difference quality product. 

42 minutes ago, stalal said:

HH-60G is also on Chinese websit

Man this is REALLY a beautiful looking kit! The level of detail is astonishing! Even build up with zero paint it still looks spectacular!

I will be buying the entire 35th scale helos they are making, can make for a fantastic diorama with some imagination and skills of course. Just got to make sure to buy the kits with the figures. My only fear, they will put the same figures that they used for the AH-6J kits, but even still, probably find some real good figures from the after market market.

Anthony

PS. Sorry for biting your head off before, its been a bad few months and I let the stress get the better of me. Hope theres no hard feeling.

4 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

Man this is REALLY a beautiful looking kit! The level of detail is astonishing! Even build up with zero paint it still looks spectacular!

I will be buying the entire 35th scale helos they are making, can make for a fantastic diorama with some imagination and skills of course. Just got to make sure to buy the kits with the figures. My only fear, they will put the same figures that they used for the AH-6J kits, but even still, probably find some real good figures from the after market market.

Anthony

PS. Sorry for biting your head off before, its been a bad few months and I let the stress get the better of me. Hope theres no hard feeling.

No the figures are different between kits.

Floyd

On 4/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, HeavyArty said:

UH-60L panel

As always, thanks for the fantastic pictures, this goes right into my 60L.reference file.

Why do I have a feeling that a group build is in our future? I just hope that I can keep up with you guys, or wait for your build logs, and steal all your secrets!

The evil genius at work, ok, just evil.....

Anthony

1 hour ago, stalal said:

HH-60G is also on Chinese website 

http://www.moxingfans.com/m/view.php?aid=5693

Hmm, this kit has the H shaped roof crossbar for the crew chief/gunner seats.  Definitely needed to position the seats back to back, which is common when window guns are fitted.  The MH kit is only designed to have those directly behind the pilots seats facing to the rear, but I think that roof crossbar is there even when the seats are in the rear facing position.  Like the gear leg fairings with the ESSS support strut covers installed, it would have been great if these parts would have been included in the MH-60L kit.  Interestingly, the Academy kits all have this part.

tH9I5HV.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams
1 minute ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The MH-60L has a dope on a rope 

Wow, you are kidding me? I will use them on the AH-6J instead, makes more sense to use their figures from the AH-6, the guy carrying his mate, while the others pull cover, that will be used with this bird, and the dope on a rope will be landing on a rooftop via the AH-6...... giving my plans away..... Oh well, maybe someone with far more talent can build my idea for me?

Anthony

PS. You need to be a bit more careful, the level of detail you got these guys to create, will put you out of business, there won't be any resin aftermarket required!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Hmm, this kit has the H shaped roof crossbar for the crew chief/gunner seats.  Definitely needed to position the seats back to back, which is common when window guns are fitted.  The MH kit is only designed to have those directly behind the pilots seats facing to the rear, but I think that roof crossbar is there even when the seats are in the rear facing position.  Like the gear leg fairings with the ESSS support strut covers installed, it would have been great if these parts would have been included in the MH-60L kit.  Interestingly, the Academy kits all have this part.

tH9I5HV.jpg

The part thats reported to be missing in the MH-60L box, seems to be in the HH-60G box. At least the mock build shows its there. 

In any case. I was always interested in Pave Hawk. So looking forward to it.  Live-Resin seem to have some good chopper related after market, not talk about their personnel weapons items.

My kit just arrived...no figures.  In the very small print on the box top, under the "Black Hawk" title, it says 'The crew are not included'.   So there you go.  But the helicopter looks amazing!!

Hi gents, I would like to ask you a question (maybe I already did in the past in other threads, sorry).

Which kit for 1990-91 era UH-60A/L/MH-60L/MH-60G ? Academy or KH ?

I know you can sand off/do not install antennas/lumps and bumps from KH MH-60L (and later MH/HH-60G), but I can see that the kit has many fuselage strenghtening plates on it. And I guess it was not there in 1990-era, am I correct ? So, what is the best approach for it ? Academy + various PE/resin update sets or KH and trying to "backdate" it ?

Edited by JakubJakepilot