Kitty hawk Blackhawk review online.

4 hours ago, JakubJakepilot said:

Hi gents, I would like to ask you a question (maybe I already did in the past in other threads, sorry).

Which kit for 1990-91 era UH-60A/L/MH-60L/MH-60G ? Academy or KH ?

I know you can sand off/do not install antennas/lumps and bumps from KH MH-60L (and later MH/HH-60G), but I can see that the kit has many fuselage strenghtening plates on it. And I guess it was not there in 1990-era, am I correct ? So, what is the best approach for it ? Academy + various PE/resin update sets or KH and trying to "backdate" it ?

I would wait a bit. Everyone will say KH and I am sure that might be the winner but hold off till a few get built before crowning it the best kit (the kit does appear to be very nice). You will still need academy bits, course if some resin maker wanted to make a small backdate set of the small number parts needed no one would complain. Additional KH might be doing a L kit so there would be no need for the parts, I don't know. For the straps not needed a little sanding can go a long way. That is what I plan for the KH H-6 I plan to backdate instead of building the Dragon kit.

HTH

5 hours ago, JakubJakepilot said:

One more question: I have seen this type of external winch on Prime Chance MH-60A - what is/was the designation and when/why it was used ? Why was not used the classic winch over the doors ?

Winch - http://212.158.133.54/_other/mh-60a_prime_chance_tim_hudson.jpg

Thanks !

It’s a Goodrich “internal” rescue hoist that is used on the Huey and other Blackhawks. It’s actually included in the Academy MH-60G kit. I’ve never seen this mounting location but the SOAR does what it wants.

42305_-_Hoist_B_copy.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, dustiepal said:

Maybe Kitty Hawk should tell reviewers that there are two different versions of the kit, one with figures and one without.

Dave

They do.

I dont think any you can buy have the figures, thats my understanding.

Edited by Julien (UK)
6 hours ago, Julien (UK) said:

They do.

I dont think any you can buy have the figures, thats my understanding.

If that’s true, then the reviewers don’t seem to be passing the information on.  Neither the Flory Models nor the MM review indicated that the figures aren’t in the box.  I don’t read Chinese, so I don’t know if the moxing.net review indicated that the figures might not be in the kit.

BYW, according the KH, the figures can be purchased from them for $50.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

If that’s true, then the reviewers don’t seem to be passing the information on.  Neither the Flory Models nor the MM review indicated that the figures aren’t in the box.  I don’t read Chinese, so I don’t know if the moxing.net review indicated that the figures might not be in the kit.

BYW, according the KH, the figures can be purchased from them for $50.

I cant speak for other reviewers, however I have the kit for review on another site , and we were told by KH the kit does not come with the figures; and yes they can be purchased direct. 

Given how much I just paid for two figures from Black Ops Models I dont think that is a bad price for 7 figures tho.

Julien

On 4/7/2019 at 5:17 AM, HeavyArty said:

Notice where the step comes out of and how close it is to the outside of the sponson. 

I think I messed up my notifications settings, as I am only just now getting nearly a dozen at once. Anyway, that is absolutely tiny visible variations, for the trained eys, probably still difficult to spot, unless you have the proper angle and quality camera, otherwise most flying pictures will be indistinguishable.

That said, it also makes converting the A to the L, a very easy job for even junior's scratch builders. Too bad I don't even qualify for that build rank as of now. But one day, one day!

Thanks,

Anthony

PS. As always, you give us more great pictures for our walk-around reference materials.

I ordered the kit on Amazon from Kitty Hawk, and despite another buyer review saying he got the figures with the kit, my kit did not come with them. Just obnoxious that there's no rhyme or reason to which kits got them aside from the review kits.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:14 PM, Dave Williams said:

Hmm, this kit has the H shaped roof crossbar for the crew chief/gunner seats.  Definitely needed to position the seats back to back, which is common when window guns are fitted.  The MH kit is only designed to have those directly behind the pilots seats facing to the rear, but I think that roof crossbar is there even when the seats are in the rear facing position.  Like the gear leg fairings with the ESSS support strut covers installed, it would have been great if these parts would have been included in the MH-60L kit.  Interestingly, the Academy kits all have this part.

tH9I5HV.jpg

Do you have any pics/info about how the seats attach for the gunners?

Thx

Julien

On 4/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

They will provide the covers as soon as they can.  Not sure of the process yet though.  Yes it is a disappointment but they are fixing it.

Floyd

Floyd,

When you find out how Kitty Hawk plans to get the fuselage covers to those of us who purchased the MH-60L kit without them, will you please post the method so we know what to do?  Many thanks in advance 😊

23 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Floyd,

When you find out how Kitty Hawk plans to get the fuselage covers to those of us who purchased the MH-60L kit without them, will you please post the method so we know what to do?  Many thanks in advance 😊

Write Sophia Lynm at sophialynm@gmail.com

33 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The figures are not in the colored box release.  There will be a later release with black and white box art that will have the figures.  If you p[ay $60 or so there are no figures.

Floyd

Good to know as the figures are very nice, as are the ones in the Little Bird Kits.

Julien

On 4/22/2019 at 6:53 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

There will be a later release with black and white box art that will have the figures.  

This is the same method used to differentiate the AH-6j's models, along with different kit numbers as well. Just need to be careful and know what you are buying. If the price seems exceptionally good, it probably doesn't include figures. I impulse bought once already, and it bit me in the rear, finding out my F-15E was really only a demonstration kit and not the real McCoy, was a kick in the gut.

Anthony

Since the KH MH-60L represents rather later version than those used in Somalia are there any decals on the market that would allow to build the accurate MH-60L or DAP out of the box? 

Wernerswings has a UH-60 stencil set. If you buy the Irene set, it comes with stencils already.

Just don't use any Somalia related decals. Cobra Company had a 160th SOAR markings decal sheet, but they're out of business now. 

Hopefully you can find them somewhere.

HTH

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
5 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Wernerswings has a UH-60 stencil set. If you buy the Irene set, it comes with stencils already.

Just don't use any Somalia related decals. Cobra Company had a 160th SOAR markings decal sheet, but they're out of business now. 

Hopefully you can find them somewhere.

HTH

Tim

The Irene set is excellent, ordered them the other day. Quick postage out to the UK as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd mention that several weeks ago, per Floyd's suggestion, I wrote to sophialynm@gmail.com about getting the missing stub wing covers. I had been frustrated that I'd not received a reply.  After seeing Dave Williams' post about getting his parts, I thought I'd try her again, last night.  I was very pleased to find, today, a response from Sophia and an apology for the late reply, with a promise to contact me with a tracking number once the parts are shipped.  Yahoo!  Great customer service!