Kitbashed patrol ship from Lindberg and MPC kits

Guess this will be my contribution to the group build; a kitbashed patrol ship which has its core coming from Lindberg and MPC kits.

Idea was developed some time back, even several years ago, but my messy health and model train club commitments had it on the proverbial back burner.

Not sure of the scale, hence size, it is going to be called but did buy some Bandai 1/144 people to display with it, perhaps one standing in an open airlock.

Might also get some of those tiny model ship people and call it 1/200 or 1/350 scale.

We'll see.

The components at this date;

32555218937_7c7c8b966f_z.jpg

Stacked together;

46773702244_41e9297513_z.jpg

Thanks y'all! Have 1 more photo now.

Getting the 'radiators' in the forward section.

40542401833_4f23db6c38_z.jpg

Only other picture of significance is that a while back I'd begun making a representation of the model in Sketchup then realized that the more I worked on the computer drawing the less I am able to work on the actual models. 
On a related note, scribbling notes in a paper sketchbook is far less stressful on my hands than using computer drafting.

46593300495_d8f74d4c5a.jpg

Edited by southwestforests
  • 1 month later...

Made some progress this morning at the ship's blunt end on an effort started a couple days ago. 

Those angled fairings will each cover 2 retractable landing legs which will give ship a total of 4 time 3 landing legs for a total of 12 points of ground contact and load bearing.

So, supposedly, according to the 'physics of the plot' this thing can land on surfaces softer than hardened spaceports.

Existing 4 legs will be modified to imply they extend from their modeled length.

How to smoothly model leading edge of fairings has yet to be determined.

33873181968_55290ffebc_c.jpg

32806700297_856f9d9181_c.jpg

Thanks!
There will be occasional pauses while I wait for my body to cooperate; sometimes it is just until tomorrow and sometimes it is multiple months.

Oh well, such is life. And I am thankful to still be able to do models at all.

Anyway, on with the project ...

Hmm ... 🤔

Am pondering blanking off some of the multitude of thrust chambers in baseplate and also adding tube in center to represent elevator to ship interior.

Added benefit will be in lighting the six triangular clusters which on this model may or may not represent thrust chambers given the 4 exterior power generators outside hull.

Can build triangular compartments behind each cluster and illuminate each with a single large LED.

Finally cut one of the Bandai figures free of the tree and, yeah, 1/144 scale will work for this thing.

Won't be any luxury suites in side, but, hey, it will be livable for a few weeks to a couple months at a time.

Tube sizes for that hypothetical central spine elevator would only allow a couple people at a time but it would be workable.

And allow for rapid uploading of food crates and such.

Final size will depend on what tubes I can find which will fit within area of central hexagonal cluster of outlets.

40789818013_6129dea1ce_c.jpg

40789817463_30f9da9619_c.jpg

46839861795_d80db34195_c.jpg

47756390801_916d90077b_c.jpg

40789817723_9e6669ec21_c.jpg

46839862085_7737562224_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have been enjoying the progress of others here while my body is obstructing my own progress.
Difficult to do this with hands stiff, puffy, and painful.
Neurological, endocrine, mitochondrial, diseases are sooooo much "fun".
Maybe, just maybe, can make some progress on something today.
Building airlock interior is preferred but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks! In the end I've only made mental progress today, thinking up a design for the airlock and the manner in which I want to install lighting.
I decided to expend my physical energy today joining some who were walking across the currently closed highway bridge from our little town on bluff along river to look at flooded plain other side of river.
A Google street view screen grab to show what the landscape should look like & then my photo of what the landscape does look like. The river is behind you from this viewpoint. 
47997717626_6fee94b0b2_c.jpg

47997717016_0e9e9786e6_c.jpg

Found this which was posted yesterday; river has flooded entire valley.
Before a previous flood, I think in 1950, the river was on opposite side of valley.
Grotjan's Garage and MFA fuel is where one of my cats was found early one morning about a decade ago as seriously injured near-roadkill, but was saved by a local rescuer and then he became mine.
And as it happens, Grumman the Wondercat is right up here in my way on this desk right now! 🙂 

Thanks! 🙂

At some point in the middle of last night I got the deck for the lower airlock area cut and installed.

Am pondering making airlock inner door open and showing a bit of interior passageway.

So that's why the extra deck area.

Is from scrap of .060 sheet styrene. Is edge glued along only about the center third of its arc there right at door.

Because how close the arc I cut is too the model's diameter is not exact. 
And one of the body/hull sides was compressed relative to the other from being stacked (squeezed) together in box for who knows how long before I bought and opened kit.

Image also shows where styrene strip was added along edges of wider half so as to force narrower half in to alignment at joining.

Body halves are not yet glued together, is more stuff to be done inside before that.

48000701907_c9db9b9fd6_c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks, I'll keep posting.

While over at the city a couple days ago I stopped in the miniatures gaming store, there are no regular hobby shops, and bought a pack of .100 inch thick white sheet styrene by Plastruct from which to make the landing pad for a sort of diorama base for this model & one for the US Moon Ship model too. Would have preferred Evergreen's styrene sheet for this part since their plastic is a bit stiffer than Plastruct's but obtaining it would have required mail order and the miniatures game store was on the way to where my appointment was, so no extra gasoline or shipping cost to obtain it.

The US Noom Ship is mentioned in my other thread, here,