5 hours ago, Viperguy said:

I must be showing my age. I've bought some of the new aircraft kits and there are so many parts anymore. I think I'm going to revert back to some of my older kits where the part count isn't so high.

I must be right there with you then. I'm feeling the same way. They are beautiful kits, but they sure have a ton of parts.

Yeah, my fingers are too big to do detail work and my eyes are too bad to see most of the tiny fiddly little parts, so I am seriously thinking of reverting back to 1/144 airliners and military aircraft so I don;t have to do cockpits anymore.  All the masking is straight lines (more or less) and only a few basic colors: white, gray, silver, and a little flat black,

The last model I purchased was a Revell Spitfire at Hobby Lobby last week.  I was kind of sitting on the fence about whether or not I wanted to purchase it, but then I saw that its parts count was something like 39 parts.  That was it for me!  I went and bought it.  I enjoy the relaxing nature of building model kits.  For me, and I know it'll differ for all of us here, "relaxing" means keeping things simple.  Perhaps another way to look at it is "avoiding things that are unnecessarily over-engineered."  Perhaps it's the undiagnosed A.D.D. in me, but I like to see steady and definite progress in my build sessions.  As an example, I want my landing gear leg to be a single piece with the exception of the wonderful B-58.  Dealing with landing gear should take me 10 minutes tops, not a week.

Others can keep their humble-bragging of "This model took me a year to build and had 3,000 parts in it!"  I don't know what a person wants from me when they boast that.  Sympathy?  A medal?  Elevation to deity status?  I'll keep my model kits with 39 pieces, thank you very much.

Eric

I'm sitting on a massive stash, waiting for eye surgery to let me see closeup in one eye again. I need to build so it's been cheap Lindberg kits for88 the last year.

Funny thing is, I get such a kick doing these 48 scale Grumman Gooses and Heller 48 AS350 Helis!

Simple is good, and complex will be good when I get my sight back (knock wood)..

6 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

Two problems I have with kits that have high parts counts.

1: The parts generally don't fit that well

2: They are generally fiddly and difficult to work with.

Yup. I agree.  Hasegawa's 1/72 Phantoms and Tomcats come to mind.  Some Trumpeter kits too ( RA-5C Vigilante).