Mission Models Polyeurethane Intermix gone bad?

So a couple of months ago I purchased a bottle of Mission Models Polyeurethane Intermix after watching a couple of videos on youtube.  I opened the bottle and used a little with a small project.  Last week I went to use it again, but the whole bottle had turned into a congealed white sludge.  It looks kind of like milk that has gone off, but with the texture of drywall patch putty.  I'm a little annoyed that I bought a bottle of this stuff and got one use before it went bad.  I sent a message to Mission Models, but never got a reply.

Anyone else have this happen with their bottle of Mission Models Poly, or is this just a bad one?

Cameron

5 hours ago, boom175 said:

I have heard it reacts badly to cold storage. I have had some for over a year and it stays in my basement and i have not had a problem. 

I live in South Florida.  Pretty sure cold storage wasn’t the issue.  I’ve put the most recent bottles in ziploc bags to see if that helps them last.

Edited by Dave Williams

I received an email from Mission Models this afternoon.  Here is the email in total

"Hi Cameron

Ploy is a temperature sensitive product.  When it ships from our warehouse it is in perfect shape.   It can not be allowed to freeze or be exposed to high heat.  We also do not know how retailers handle the product once received.    There is nothing wrong with the product but some chemicals in the hobby or in industrial applications are temp sensitive like that of super glue and other resins.   

Sincerely

Mission models "

So basically they're saying that at some point between their warehouse and when I purchased it at the LHS it probably froze, and I'm out of luck.

I had the same issue.  I'd used about 1/2 the bottle.  It was fine one night, went to use it the next and it was like cottage cheese.  The response from Mission Models sounds like a generalized statement that doesn't really address the issue.

Not sure I understand the supposed process.  It freezes, and then at some point later, after working fine for weeks or months, it just suddenly clumps up in a short period of time?  One would think it would either solidify right after freezing, or noticeably deteriorate over time, not just go belly up instantly at some random later time.

12 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

I received an email from Mission Models this afternoon.  Here is the email in total

"Hi Cameron

Ploy is a temperature sensitive product.  When it ships from our warehouse it is in perfect shape.   It can not be allowed to freeze or be exposed to high heat.  We also do not know how retailers handle the product once received.    There is nothing wrong with the product but some chemicals in the hobby or in industrial applications are temp sensitive like that of super glue and other resins.   

Sincerely

Mission models "

So basically they're saying that at some point between their warehouse and when I purchased it at the LHS it probably froze, and I'm out of luck.

That's not exactly being sensitive to customer issues, is it? "Eff you, not our problem". 

Disappointing to here this.  Especially for us northern customers who use northern distributors and have orders sitting on trucks and in mailboxes at well below freezing for periods of time beyond our control. If this product cannot freeze at all, then it’s not going to work for a majority of the continental US.   Have a few bottles but have not tried to use it yet. I need to go look at them. 

Rick L. 

Blaming the the user at the end of the supply pipeline for this issue is an odd choice. 

Edited by Spruemeister
Adding comment
1 hour ago, chukw said:

I think I'll pass- entirely.

Other than the minor issue I experienced with the poly, they perform well as a paint system.  I have moved away from enamels towards MM paint whenever I can.

I have a bottle that I bought in June through mail order that remained sealed until a couple of weeks ago.  When I opened it I found it had gelled.  My LHS just started to carry MMP, so it was off to buy another bottle. I was going to write Mission Models to see if I could get my money back, but after reading their FAQ I figured that bad bottle was a write off.  Reading this thread confirms that. 

I know my local shop had to throw away paint that froze during shipment. I have the intermix, a few paints and primers.  My hobby room can get cool during the winter, maybe as low as 15C without a portable heater.  No problems with the paint or intermix chunking up, or becoming unusable.  Not the biggest fan of the overall performance of the paint system though. 

I’ve actually had a really good experience with the poly. I store mine in the basement here in Colorado and it hasn’t dried up or gone bad at all. I’ve had mine for about nine months and it is about halfway empty.  No problems with their pints or primers or poly for me.  I am a convert and love how MM Paints perform- here are two recent projects using Mission Models paints:

5jFkenD.jpg

ccty3o0.jpg

Edited by Falconxlvi

Happened to me too Cameron.  I have been complaining some about it on the mission models fan page on face book, but for banned. They don't want to hear anything other than great product.  It's not that great.. too expensive and the polly is mandatory.. I am done with mmp. I won't buy anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Raptor01 said:

I have some 36170, poly, & thinner I want to try.  Aren’t you supposed to mix up only what you want to use & not contaminate the source?  My bottles are stored at room temp.

John

They have some great tutorials on You Tube and on their website has some tips on as well. Trick is to use their thinner and it's going to look a lot thicker than what you are used to. I usually go with 10 drops of paint, 2-4 drops of thinner and say 4 drops of poly. I spray at 10-15 psi usually around 12.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue and essentially the same response "sometimes the poly 'kicks over' if stored in high temps" except mine was always inside at climate-controlled, room temperature. Still love the paints but I've started storing the poly inside a drawer in another part of the house...we'll see.

I had the same issue with the bottle I had last summer. Lost the A/C for a few days. When I received my paints and went to use them I noticed two things. First the reducer smelled and felt the same as the Createx 4012 High Performance Reducer. Tested it out and had no issues. The Poly also seemed to be the same as Createx's 4030 Intercoat and Mix Additive. Tested that as well with no issues. So if you have a Hobby Lobby near by and do not want to order the MM stuff go get those items from Hobby Lobby. Don't forget to use the 40% off online coupon.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:00 AM, Dave Williams said:

Not sure I understand the supposed process.  It freezes, and then at some point later, after working fine for weeks or months, it just suddenly clumps up in a short period of time?  One would think it would either solidify right after freezing, or noticeably deteriorate over time, not just go belly up instantly at some random later time.

Yeah, seems pretty suspect

The older acrylics like poly s and gunze suffered from being subject to extreme temperatures,  just some stayed in liquid form but would perform no so well , like not drying, going lumpy when mixed with thinner. And become my like jelly.  Its why I  don't think mail order is best for ordering paint .especially if it is allowed on aircraft, not all cargo holds are pressurised. 

• 10 months later...